Which Lap Timer do you use?

Evill_Ed

Lap Timer Choice  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• AIM SOLO 2
    • Speed Angle

• Premium Member

Looking for feedback on lap timers. I am looking at Speed Angle and AIM Solo 2. I am leaning towards the Speed Angle since it has a  lean angle sensor, seems like good data to have to monitor consistency and riding style. 

I use a Go Pro for my video. Looks like both lap timers can be synced to video with software. 

Looking for feedback on both lap timers. 

Thanks,

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

M. Hausknecht

Ed, I have an AIM Solo 2 but haven't used it much. I bought it late last winter and it didn't work. It wouldn't find a gps signal and sometimes the screen was all messed up (odd pattern). I contacted Aim in Virginia (US HQ) and arranged to send it in. After about a week, they informed me that the gps module was defective and that the unit would have to be sent to Italy for repair. Fortunately, they had one remaining unit available for loan, so they sent it to me. I used the loaned unit for a few track days and a few race weekends; it worked fine. Eventually, late this summer (so, 4-5 months later), I received my unit back from Aim and I returned my loaned unit. Mine now seems to work as it should. I was told by Aim that they received a bunch of bad gps modules from their supplier. I paid to ship my unit to Aim and to send their unit back.

So, I bought a new unit that never worked right, and it took several months to get it fixed but at least I had one to  use. I've had other Aim products and never had a any issues with them. I never looked at the Speed Angle unit so I have no basis to compare it to the Solo 2. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Ed, I have an AIM Solo 2 but haven't used it much. I bought it late last winter and it didn't work. It wouldn't find a gps signal and sometimes the screen was all messed up (odd pattern). I contacted Aim in Virginia (US HQ) and arranged to send it in. After about a week, they informed me that the gps module was defective and that the unit would have to be sent to Italy for repair. Fortunately, they had one remaining unit available for loan, so they sent it to me. I used the loaned unit for a few track days and a few race weekends; it worked fine. Eventually, late this summer (so, 4-5 months later), I received my unit back from Aim and I returned my loaned unit. Mine now seems to work as it should. I was told by Aim that they received a bunch of bad gps modules from their supplier. I paid to ship my unit to Aim and to send their unit back.

So, I bought a new unit that never worked right, and it took several months to get it fixed but at least I had one to  use. I've had other Aim products and never had a any issues with them. I never looked at the Speed Angle unit so I have no basis to compare it to the Solo 2. 

Thank you for sharing your experience. I did read a post from someone who had experienced similar issues with the screen display. 

Ed

• Premium Member

AIM Solo 2 hands down.  Why?  Predictive lap feature.  Single most useful feature that'll make you actually get faster and learn a track quick.

You can experiment with lines, gear selection, etc DURING a lap an know right them and there if it made you faster.  

Example:  get to the point where you have consistent lap times.  Say you run a 2 minute lap.  Do something drastically different on turn 1.  Glance down when in predictive mode and see if it's negative or positive.  If it's negative, you went faster and whatever you did (different line, different gear, etc) worked.

After you discover what works, move on to the next corner and do the same thing.  The goal is to see a negative time after the corner you are working on.

Works like a champ!

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, pgeldz said:

AIM Solo 2 hands down.  Why?  Predictive lap feature.  Single most useful feature that'll make you actually get faster and learn a track quick.

You can experiment with lines, gear selection, etc DURING a lap an know right them and there if it made you faster.  

Example:  get to the point where you have consistent lap times.  Say you run a 2 minute lap.  Do something drastically different on turn 1.  Glance down when in predictive mode and see if it's negative or positive.  If it's negative, you went faster and whatever you did (different line, different gear, etc) worked.

After you discover what works, move on to the next corner and do the same thing.  The goal is to see a negative time after the corner you are working on.

Works like a champ!

Thanks Paul.

Ed

• Like 1