The MT-07 Forum

New ignition, plug issues

bockscar

Hey guys,

Long story short, I got a 2016 FZ-07 from a buddy. When he had it, it was stolen and recovered. The thieves drilled out the ignition, so he handed me the new ignition he got from who knows where, and I said I would swap it out. 

The problem is, one of the plugs from the new ignition doesn't line up  with the plug on the bike harness. Wondering what these wires do, and which ones if any I should connect? 

The bike keys on now with the new ignition and has a SD-19 error code, which seems to be unrelated to this issue probably, since its the side stand switch error code. Starter turns over now, but I can't try starting it since the motor isn't complete right now. 

Fz-07 ignitions switch.png

The 3 wire variant is from 2018-2020 model, the 2 wire variant should be from 2014-2016 (or something like this?). I have wiring diagrams which show this.

I don't know what I did wrong, I can't upload pictures of wiring diagram  because of 0.02 MB upload limit, sry  :D

The SD-19 error code is related to the issue with the now not connected black/red wire of the three wire connector.
This black/red wire supplies the starting circuit cut of relay, which is the one the sidestand switch is connected to. The ECU can't read the state of the sidestand switch now.

Edited by ElGonzales
  • Like 2

Update: the blue wires coming out of the main switch/ignition has the circuit completed when key is on, circuit is incomplete when key is off. None of the wired on the harness side seem to be grounds.

The headlight relay is not getting power and the turn signals are being weird. Since I don't know what was working before, I don't know if this is related, however I am thinking that these wires power the accessories, while the other plug is the starter. Just not sure which of the 3 wires on the harness side need their circuits completed...

11 minutes ago, ElGonzales said:

The 3 wire variant is from 2018-2020 model, the 2 wire variant is from 2014-2016 (or something like this).

I don't know what I did wrong, I can't upload pictures of wiring diagram because of 0.02 MB upload limit, sry  :D

Thanks for the help. This bike is labeled 04/16, so I would think it should be 2 wire on the bike side though..? but maybe that is why this "correct" new ignition has only 2 wires? Just wondering which of the 3 bike side wired I should jump together to not fry anything, if any. 

Ok based on what you said about the side stand. When I short the middle wire black/red which is at 12V to the other outer black/red it clears the side stand code, so that must be the start circuit. Seems like that circuit is one to connect with the bike keyed to on. 

now the question is...what is that brown/red guy for and should it also get 12V when the bike is on?

Edited by bockscar

I have edited my first post.

Black/red of 3 wire harness supplies the ECU and starting circuit cut of relay (the black box with diodes which stops the ignition depending on side stand switch, gears in neutral, pulled clutch...).

In the 2 wire harness variant Yamaha made a different wiring.

It's to much to explain, if you give me your mail address I can send you some drawings I have prepared for my personal use you can compare with your bike. You can send a personal message if you open my profile I think.

Edited by ElGonzales

Yeah I am a little bit slow in the brain this morning :D
The wiring diagram of the 3 wire variant shows that with ignition on, there's simply battery voltage to both black/red wires.

Brown/red connects the "parking light" fuse, which supplies the turn signal relay. There should be also 12V with ignition turned on and in "park" mode (at least in my country variant)

Are you trying to adapt the harness of the bike to accommodate the switch " from who knows where"?. Just get the switch that belongs on the bike. Sounds like it's been through enough already and it doesn't need to be chopped on anymore. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Are you trying to adapt the harness of the bike to accommodate the switch " from who knows where"?. Just get the switch that belongs on the bike. Sounds like it's been through enough already and it doesn't need to be chopped on anymore. 

Sorry I should of been more clear. It is an ignition for a FZ-07. What I don't know is were the previous owner got it and why the plugs don't match. I assume he got it from a Yamaha dealer and told them what bike he had. Sounds like things changed over the model run and they must of given him the incorrect part. The part I don't know is what this new ignition is "supposed to be for" (which year FZ-07 specifically) since I am not the one who bought it.

Edited by bockscar
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@toby0690 I just ran into this issue yesterday and found this thread today. Looking at the schematic in the maintainence manual, it LOOKS like you could bridge the middle pin to the parking fuse (brown/red) pin. I have my old ignition and I'm going to try that out by soldering on the old connector this week. From the looks of it, the three pin variants of the bike would have had a "parking lights" selection on the ignition and that's what the third pin is for. Those that have two pins don't have that on their ignition. Please let me know if you ended up finding a solution on your own and if it worked!

Link to the maintainence manual (free and not sketchy): https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1056405/Yamaha-2014-Mt-07.html#manual

Schematic 1.jpg

Schematic 2.jpg

@Coast  How did that work out for you? I'm only seeing used Ignition Switches with the 2 pin connector. 

I have a 3 pin connecter (2019 model) on my wiring harness and hoping to find a solution instead of spending $150 more on an OEM piece. 

@bockscar did you end up finding a fix as well?

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, 

sorry for the late repy.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:15 AM, Coast said:

@toby0690  From the looks of it, the three pin variants of the bike would have had a "parking lights" selection on the ignition and that's what the third pin is for. Those that have two pins don't have that on their ignition. Please let me know if you ended up finding a solution on your own and if it worked!

Yes that seems correct and that worked for me.

• Like 1