Sign in to follow this  
union

2021 MT07 Potential build thread

union

Just seeing if there is interest in what I'm doing.  I don't know how far down the rabbit hole I'm going with this bike in the end.  It's going to fill a few roles for me.  Going to be a commuter to work, a bit of a hooligan bike, and it will see some track time.

With that in mind suspension is already in the works.  The plan right now is a Penske shock and Andreani  fork cartridges.  Also going with a set of rearsets probably Woodcraft.  Don't like the folding pegs when I'm trying to adjust on the bike.  There is sure to be other things as the winter goes on.  I do have a list going but I am also open to suggestions.

Here are some shots of other bikes I have done.  Feel free to ask any questions.

2007 R6

yUUVS3Q.jpg

2012 KTM 450 SMR

egEpi8b.jpg

2015 Harley Street Bob

v0abUBU.jpg

• Like 1

AP996
20 minutes ago, union said:

.  I do have a list going but I am also open to suggestions.

If your in the states buy a Hordpower airbox and release a few more hp.

• Like 2

cornerslider

I have no idea how to respond???? Are you building a FZ/MT-07? The bikes you pictured are all VERY different bikes. I have experience with all three riding styles/disciplines... As far as the 2007 R6- it's kind of a "unicorn" in the fact that it doesn't "mesh" with the most popular version of the R6 (2008-2016). The KTM 450SMR looks pretty sweet. The Harley leaves me a bit "under-whelmed".... 

That being said, the "07" platform is one of the most versatile platforms available!!!! Mine started out as a track-bike project. I purchased it brand new, and I had planned on it being a "track-only" bike. Things change..... I ended up shifting gears, and being forced into "tracking" my street R3 (after blowing-up my K-Tech rear shock on my "07").  Time was NOT on my side in 2021, as parts were hard to come by.... I was forced into converting  my "street" R3 into a track-bike, as I had pre-paid for track days.... It turns out, I enjoyed my 2019 R3 MUCH more than I had expected 🤣.... I eventually put the lights/plate/mirrors back on my "07", and it is a wonderful street bike as well!!!!! I would encourage you to build an "07" into whatever you want, and post pictures along the way 😎-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

union
9 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

I have no idea how to respond???? Are you building a FZ/MT-07? The bikes you pictured are all VERY different bikes. I have experience with all three riding styles/disciplines... As far as the 2007 R6- it's kind of a "unicorn" in the fact that it doesn't "mesh" with the most popular version of the R6 (2008-2016). The KTM 450SMR looks pretty sweet. The Harley leaves me a bit "under-whelmed".... 

That being said, the "07" platform is one of the most versatile platforms available!!!! Mine started out as a track-bike project. I purchased it brand new, and I had planned on it being a "track-only" bike. Things change..... I ended up shifting gears, and being forced into "tracking" my street R3 (after blowing-up my K-Tech rear shock on my "07").  Time was NOT on my side in 2021, as parts were hard to come by.... I was forced into converting  my "street" R3 into a track-bike, as I had pre-paid for track days.... It turns out, I enjoyed my 2019 R3 MUCH more than I had expected 🤣.... I eventually put the lights/plate/mirrors back on my "07", and it is a wonderful street bike as well!!!!! I would encourage you to build an "07" into whatever you want, and post pictures along the way 😎-

Doing my 21 MT07.  Sometimes the brain and the fingers don't mesh well while posting.

You're right.  All the three bikes I posted are very different.  All have/had their purpose.  My R6 was going to be a street/trackday bike.  Turned out to be a full on race bike.  Saw zero street time.

The 450 was full race from start to finish.  Probably the most fun I've had on two wheels.  It's a bike I miss at times.  Thought about getting a new Husky but my racing days are done/

The Harley was my present to myself for my retirement from racing.  I wanted something that I could ride two up with the wife but also didn't have much performance.  Probably the most frustrating bike I've worked on and rode.  There is no need for using standard, metric, and torx on the same bike.  In the end it looks good.  I don't ride it much.

But back to the new bike.  I've been thinking about the MT for a couple years now.  Put that on the back burner until this year.  I was thinking about getting myself a new toy.  Had the ok to get a new Supra but ended up with the MT07.  Don't regret the path I took at all.  Now going into winter I have some time to build it up.

• Like 1

cornerslider

I understand.... My CRF450R (SM) was by far the most fun I've ever had on two wheels!!!! That being said, I got tired of the constant maintenance. I love that I can roll my FZ-07/R3 out of a trailer, ride all weekend, and roll it back in at the end of the weekend- and repeat! My wife also track rides an R3 (as well as a street R3), so obviously I'm pretty busy 🤣. I'm hoping to retire in seven years.... I'm planning on continuing to track ride as long as I am able. If I don't make it, my retirement gift to myself will most likely be an MT-10 (SP) for the street. Please post pics of your project "07" along the way 😎-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

union

The ordering has begun.  Before I do anything I'll get some photos but we should all know what the stock bike looks like.

Today we ordered probably the most important items this bike needs.  Suspension.  We will be putting Andreani cartridges in the front and a Penske shock in the rear.

Also on the order list are Woodcraft rearsets, frame sliders, and axle sliders.

I was a bit extra lucky today since there was another MT07 in the shop today with the Akrapovic exhaust on it with the db killer installed.  It seemed quiet enough.  So now I'm a bit torn because I thought I settled on the Graves but now I'm unsure.

• Like 2

nozeitgeist1800

i have the akra ti with the db killer, i absolutely ADORE it. the sound and feel (along with a ecu flash) are awesome. the ti is quieter than the carbon from what ive heard, but mine is the perfect volume for me - audible but no ear plugs needed when riding at any speed.

im also a big fan of it being completely contained under the bike. makes me feel like if i lay it down i dont have to worry about the exhaust. whether thats placebo effect or not, who knows, placebo is a hell of a drug

Edited by nozeitgeist1800
  • Like 1