The MT-07 Forum

Kerosene / Lamp Oil / Paraffin Oil As Chain Cleaner

Julian

Ok I know this has been discussed before but I haven't found any recent posts and I'm hoping we can get to the bottom of it once and for all! 

I picked up a Kettenmax device which I really like and reviewed here 

but the cleaning liquid they sell for it is ridiculously expensive at $22 for 500ml. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative and I know that a lot of people swear by Kerosene. I have also heard, but cannot confirm, that some motorcycle and chain manufacturers recommend kerosene or paraffin for chain cleaning. 

We don't have Kerosene in stores in Switzerland, but I can find lamp oil whose main ingredient is listed as paraffin oil. As far as I can tell, lamp / paraffin oil is a more refined form of kerosene which is more or less odorless and with less nasty particles, equivalent to A1 Kerosene. The terms Kerosene / Lamp Oil / Paraffin Oil seem to be used interchangeably depending on the country and the person. It would fit my need perfectly being effective, cheap and readily available but this FortNine video got me worried 

In Ryan's experiment, Kerosene seeped past the 2 o-rings in his rig instantaneously. It's hard to say if the same thing could happen on a chain but it is possible. The ultimate experiment would be for someone to open up a few links in a used chain that has been regularly cleaned with Kerosene and check what condition the factory grease is in. Do we have any volunteers? 

Edited by Julian

I only use Petroleum (or Lamp Oil as you would call it) for my DID 525 VX chain, which is translated "kerosene" in American English as German Wikipedia tells me.  ( This is a little bit confusing between trivial and local designation. But I pay 3€ for 1L Petroleum at the gas station, thats enough for cleaning my chain for some years and restore 1 vintage bike :D )

The chain is still like new after ~10.000 km, I only had to tighten it one time until now and it moves very easy. But because of a chain oiler I don't have to clean it often.

I also saw the RF9 video back when it was released but I don't really worry about this, the maintenance instruction on the backside of the DID chain package mentioned to use kerosene for cleaning ("wiping + drying it sufficiently"), the instruction of Regina chains says quite the same:
https://www.reginachain.net/motorcycle/catalogues/Manutenzione.pdf

Ok, there is still a risk that chain manufacturers want us to destroy our chains to increase their sales, but... 

I can open the chain as soon as it is worn, but that will take some time.
And I still have my old chain on the garage shelf, I cleaned it with Petroleum too for one season but also with other cleaning sprays and no idea what the previous owner did ^^  Maybe I  take a look inside the links

Edited by ElGonzales

• Global Moderator

Do you know anyone at your local general aviation airport?  Jet fuel is mostly kerosene (in fact I have used kerosene in a jet) and they drain it frequently to check there is no water in it.  I am sure they would be happy to give you a pint or so as it cannot be used after it is drained so they have to dispose of it. 

11 hours ago, ElGonzales said:

I only use Petroleum (or Lamp Oil as you would call it) for my DID 525 VX chain, which is translated "kerosene" in American English as German Wikipedia tells me.  ( This is a little bit confusing between trivial and local designation. But I pay 3€ for 1L Petroleum at the gas station, thats enough for cleaning my chain for some years and restore 1 vintage bike :D )

The chain is still like new after ~10.000 km, I only had to tighten it one time until now and it moves very easy. But because of a chain oiler I don't have to clean it often.

I also saw the RF9 video back when it was released but I don't really worry about this, the maintenance instruction on the backside of the DID chain package mentioned to use kerosene for cleaning ("wiping + drying it sufficiently"), the instruction of Regina chains says quite the same:
https://www.reginachain.net/motorcycle/catalogues/Manutenzione.pdf

Ok, there is still a risk that chain manufacturers want us to destroy our chains to increase their sales, but... 

I can open the chain as soon as it is worn, but that will take some time.
And I still have my old chain on the garage shelf, I cleaned it with Petroleum too for one season but also with other cleaning sprays and no idea what the previous owner did ^^  Maybe I  take a look inside the links

The instructions from Regina are really confusing 😅 They say to use kerosene and a soft brush and then immediately below NOT to use petrol which like you said can be synonym with kerosene. They also advise to pressure wash your chain and dry it with compressed air which most other sources say it's a no-no. 

In these instructions I found from DID they say to use a chain cleaner and a spray can is pictured. They also say that even a soft brush can damage o and x rings. Most grunge brushes have hard bristles. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://pinkmotors.hu/did/arlista/lancszerelo_szerszam.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjVjZTzppr0AhVK8LsIHYS_BcEQFnoECDgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0YxeQ5Ag3MkOaLDPuAqCkQ

It would be really interesting if you could break down your old chain and see what's inside :D I'd buy you a beer when you're in Zurich. 

Edited by Julian

I would think that the bristles from one of the stiff bristle chain brushed would be too thick to get to the rings but my bike is tucked away for winter already and I have no desire to go out to check. LOL. I guess this will just weigh on my soul until spring.