The MT-07 Forum

Balance beads

Devilman

Has anyone tried out Tire Balance Beads? Just had tires replaced and balanced but I hate the tire weights on the rims. I have some Zilla cash so I was looking at these: 

Edited by Devilman
Spelling

I use this stuff - mainly to prevent punctures but it also balances.

Personally I don't mind wheel weights, mount and balance myself then add this. The instructions say to add a bit more if no wheel weights to ensure it balances the tire.

The product has been around a long time, this video is 10 years old. It's not like "slime".

I have pulled tires that ran the "Ride on" product, and it stays on the inside of tire, does not get on the inner rim at all.

Changing tires at the shop, we charge extra if there any slime or beads. They make a mess in general and they're expensive. Folks get angry when you can't recapture them (because they're expensive), but when you dismount the tire and they come spilling out, what the hell do you want us to do?  Can't say beads don't work- period- but seen times where they don't. Currently got beads in the front tires of my work truck due to things outside of my control. It shakes over 65 mph. Sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't. 

If you do go with beads, be careful down the road simply checking your tire pressure. When one of the little bastards gets lodged in your Schrader you'll learn to dislike them. Can't tell if that kit comes with the special Schraders with filters to prevent that, if not, that'll cost extra.  Larger diameter beads can mitigate that, like ceramic beads. But sometimes they won't fit through 90° valve stems, sometimes they do. And sometimes they get stuck halfway. 😁 

Edited by shinyribs

8 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Changing tires at the shop, we charge extra if there any slime or beads...

Right, Slime can make a mess.

Ride-On is different. When I change my own tires, they look just like this video when I pull them off. The reason I use it is for a bit more peace of mind on avoiding punctures - but I carry repair kit and small compressor as well.