The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 show plastic is used on the R7 to stiffen the frame ?

TMTYWSH

To answer your question, of the two guys that ran R7s in MotoAmerica last year (that I know of), one kept the "brace" on, and one just took it off.  I don't think it does much.  I.e., our FZ frame is still spaghetti -- even on the R7.  

With the 2022 season showing a lot more riders on the R7 (versus MT/FZ), perhaps more solutions are coming out...

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 10/28/2021 at 11:52 PM, br4nd0n said:

On the new R7, the metal piece is larger and bolts on at the bottom near the swing arm bolt and the upper section bolts on the subframe further back where the passenger peg would be on the MT-07

It's about 1 year later, anyone own a R7 and a MT07 can comment on this?

I'm wondering how different the chassis feels...for track level riding the added stiffness probably helps.

M. Hausknecht
4 hours ago, TMTYWSH said:

It's about 1 year later, anyone own a R7 and a MT07 can comment on this?

I'm wondering how different the chassis feels...for track level riding the added stiffness probably helps.

The R7 piece does not bolt up to the 07 frame because the mounts are positioned differently. I race an 07 but I've talked to several MA riders/bike-builders and all say that the R7 piece stiffens the rear of the frame, perceptively to some riders but not others. MA rules don't allow for extra frame bracing and the 07/R7 frame is more flexible than is desirable, so everyone uses the pieces in question even though they don't do much. The stiffness of the MA-mandated Dunlop slicks and their grip place high loads on the frame, when ridden hard, resulting in a vague, "dead" sort of feeling, especially in the front end. It is unlikely anyone running below an expert, competitive club-level pace (3-4 seconds below  MA pole time) would notice. 

• Like 1

sweetscience

@M. Hausknecht looking at the pics, ya need 3 pieces for each side to make this fit.  Top piece, bottom piece for rearset mount, and rearset.  Is this confirmed?  You'll lose usage for passenger pegs though.

Also, I saw in Japanese review, it was in Japanese language and text, the R7 dog bone linkage is lengthened by 4mm.  The control arm is unchanged.  This should effectively increase rear ride height.  Could be lost in translation, don't quote me.  Or shock length was lengthened, probly not, more cost to produce.

M. Hausknecht
Just now, sweetscience said:

@M. Hausknecht looking at the pics, ya need 3 pieces for each side to make this fit.  Top piece, bottom piece for rearset mount, and rearset.  Is this confirmed?  You'll lose usage for passenger pegs though.

Also, I saw in Japanese review, it was in Japanese language and text, the R7 dog bone linkage is lengthened by 4mm.  The control arm is unchanged.  This should effectively increase rear ride height.  Could be lost in translation, don't quote me.  Or shock length was lengthened, probly not, more cost to produce.

Were I inclined to stiffen the frame, I'd do it by welding in steel tubing as braces, as was done with'80s AMA superbikes (before sport bikes had aluminum spar frames). It isn't legal in MA but it is legal under most other superbike-type rules packages and far more effective.