The MT-07 Forum

2020 MT07 cut off while driving in 4th gear

Breezy

I was on the highway going around 80 in fourth gear i was holding the throttle in the same position the whole time, my bike lost all power acted like it was in neutral but didn't rev and then went back to normal in half a second, then a few seconds later the same thing happened again but this time the bike fully shut off . Any ideas?

You mean it acted like you activated the kill switch? 

You didn't give us much information.  What was the fuel level?

Were you able to start it after that?

Was anything unusual lit on the dash like an error code or anything else?

Does messing with the side stand have any effect?

Edited by Triple Jim

yea it acted like i hit the kill switch, it had a full tank, it wouldnt start after until the next morning, nothing unusual on the dash 

5 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

By the way, why were you still in 4th gear while driving a steady 80 mph?

Probably listening to the pipes singing 🥰

I've done it. 

It completely shut down, no lights or dash? I ask as I had a Aprilia that started bucking at freeway speeds then lost engine power but still had dash lights etc...just stop running. I let it sit a minute it started ran fine for a mile and did it again. Turned out the screen to filter fuel into the fuel pump was clogging up with fine dirt. After it sat dirt would fall away then start again it would then again clog screen. I had to disassemble and clean everything and it was fine, assuming it was from bad (dirty) gas.  

• Like 1

My guess is the dash remained, but the engine shut off?

Wasn't this an issue for a very, very small amount of folks back when the FZ07 debuted?  It happened to me once a few months in while going around 40mph, but that was it.  Never happened again.

Because it was a small number of people, and usually it happened so very rarely (in my case, once in 7 years), I don't think there is anything to address it.

Edited by duenan

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I had similar issue happen early on.  Running steady at ~65ish and everything just died, tried to pull neutral and restart, but didn't work.  Drifted to side of road and waited a few minutes (ie: panicking as I was a new rider heading to my first moto safety class).  Once my nerves settled I went through start-up slowly and methodically and the bike started up, no problems since.  I hadn't thought of it again until reading this.  At the time I just thought perhaps I had mistakenly hit the kill switch or hit a bump and had the side stand bounce enough to kill it...  Glad the bike fired up again the next morning.  I would check the battery every day for a while to make sure that there isn't something odd happening with the electrical.

Best of luck.