The MT-07 Forum

2021 MT07 FRONT FORKS

michael Sachs

michael Sachs

Does anyone know if the mod that Dave does to the MT07 forks needs to be done to the 2021 MT07.  Picking nine up in a couple of days and if it needs to be done that and heavier fluid is a first thing must.  Any up date would be appreciated I have the 2018 MT09 and what they did for 2021 is drop the MT09 brakes on the new MT07, HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO DRIP EBC brake pads on it, it's day and night differance.

10 minutes ago, michael Sachs said:

HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO DRIP EBC brake pads on it

Do you mean EBC HH pads?

3 hours ago, michael Sachs said:

Does anyone know if the mod that Dave does to the MT07 forks needs to be done to the 2021 MT07.  Picking nine up in a couple of days and if it needs to be done that and heavier fluid is a first thing must.  Any up date would be appreciated I have the 2018 MT09 and what they did for 2021 is drop the MT09 brakes on the new MT07, HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO DRIP EBC brake pads on it, it's day and night differance.

Depends for what... i've got a 21 and test rode a 21 before i bought it. There's nothing wrong with the forks at all for day to day use, they work fine. I'm not even convinced the rear is as bad as some think, but i don't mind a bit of movement in the bike personally. Mates have ridden stock MT07s on track and gone well in higher groups. I've not tracked mine yet, but it's only a matter of waiting till summer.

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

The 07 is an inexpensive bike with relatively unsophisticated components, especially the forks and shock. I suggest you ride the bike for a while and experience for yourself whether the suspension meets your needs. If it does, great, spend money on other things. If it doesn't meet your needs, you should be able to identify how it doesn't meet your needs and then you should consider what can be done. Without knowing how you ride, where you ride, and what you weigh, no one can say whether you want or need to reduce fork preload, and to increase both fork compression and rebound damping (Moss's mods).

As for brake pads, the stock pads are fine even for spirited track riding (won't overheat and work well when cold) but they are linear in feel and lack the initial bite of many after-market pads. If you like an aggressive initial bite, you'll want to change pads but I'd go to steel-braided brake lines first because the feel with rubber lines isn't great, irrespective of pads.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

i have a 2021 mt 07 with hyperpro front springs and fork oil. The bike is awesome now, the rear shock is acceptable, bit i would highly recommend improve the fork.

• Premium Member
cornerslider

If you are concerned with the preload, try adding some adjustable preload fork caps. You can pick them up for less than $25 on eBay. That is the easiest way to decide what feels right for YOU....

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

On 10/21/2021 at 10:19 PM, michael Sachs said:

Listen to these guys and don't buy in to Dave Moss. 

• Like 4

Just now, shinyribs said:
On 10/21/2021 at 10:19 PM, michael Sachs said:

Listen to these guys and don't buy in to Dave Moss. 

... and do some serious research in this forum too. There is a ton of info here that a lot of the newer guys might not know about. You should be able find good stuff on nearly everything dealing with your bike.

• Like 1

sweetscience

Yup, what's dependent is your rider weight and suspension sag values.   If you are lucky and have a rider weight that compliments the fork spring rates, and the sag numbers are in spec, then it is not *needed* to upgrade suspension.

16 hours ago, sweetscience said:

Yup, what's dependent is your rider weight and suspension sag values.   If you are lucky and have a rider weight that compliments the fork spring rates, and the sag numbers are in spec, then it is not *needed* to upgrade suspension.

So does anyone know the body habitus the suspension on 2021 MT bike is ideal for. I'm 175 lbs and feel the bike works well for me. With that said, I really wouldn't have any idea if it wasn't working for me. I drive straight FL roads. Very few twists in these parts. 

sweetscience
21 hours ago, J.J. said:

So does anyone know the body habitus the suspension on 2021 MT bike is ideal for. I'm 175 lbs and feel the bike works well for me. With that said, I really wouldn't have any idea if it wasn't working for me. I drive straight FL roads. Very few twists in these parts. 

Indeed the suspension on the 2nd and 3rd gen MT's are revamped and stiffer than the 1st gen.  Something like 13% stiffer from whatever the spring rate is.  And it's a non issue if you're happy with it.  Suspension deficiencies are more apparent when riding twisty, or rough roads, track, etc. 

So checking your suspension sag values can tell you if you need to adjust or upgrade, especially if you're tracking or looking to do more spirited stints.  Sag can be checked by yourself using a sag measuring tool called "Motool Slacker"  or with the help of others.  Importantly, to get accurate values when checking sag, the suspension oil must be warm meaning the bike is ridden a few miles beforehand.   And that the forks are aligned with no stiction (binding at the oil seals). 

I don't want to say what the correct sag values are because  that is of personal opinion.  It's dependent on riding style such as street, track, race, off-road.  That is why there are general window of values.  But if it was me and I was riding street and twisties, I'd go for 40mm +/- 5mm of sag up front and 35mm +/- 5mm in the rear.  

• Like 1