The MT-07 Forum

Finally arrived and ready for fun. 21' MT-07

Weeksy

51614512269_dbda185c4a_z.jpg2021-10-21_12-20-19 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Quick lunch-break ride. But first i threw the radiator guard and swingarm bobbins on there. Wanted to keep the radiator nice, so it was done before riding.

I've been reading the usual conflicting ideas on running it in, but for me, it's a Yamaha so it's been given the plan of 'just ride it normally' so that's what i've been doing with it, just riding it normally. Not taking it up to the redline/limiter, but giving it a decent thrapping anyway.

First impressions are, well as you'd expect, i like it lots... it does exactly what it's supposed to. It goes, stops, turns and does everything you want and need in a bike.

Things i don't like.
1. It seems a bit windier than i recall
2. The throttle is a lonnnnnnnnng turn to the stop.

both are easily fixed of course, 1 with a screen, so i may ping a message to one of our forum vendors and 2 with an R6 throttle tube... (but made slightly more complex by having the heated grips fitted).

Other than those bits and a bit of road dirt from their test ride, it's a lovely thing. It'll get ACF50 and the rear shock fitted this evening if my lad wants to play with spanners, if not, the shock may wait until the weekend.

51615099170_e6fc030389_z.jpg2021-10-21_02-41-42 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

51614448843_ae8637e1a2_z.jpg2021-10-21_02-41-52 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

51613395137_860fa295aa_z.jpg2021-10-21_02-41-57 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

51614878834_3718dd1d3f_z.jpg2021-10-21_02-42-02 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

• Like 4

Been out for another play today. Can't say there's anything i don't like about it. 

Sure i'd like a slipper clutch for the downchanges, but hey, it only matters if i ever take it to track. The handling, it's perfectly nice, if a little wavey at times on the silly back roads, but i'm sure a shock will sort that completely. It's far from bad, just could be better i think.

It's tricky not to compare it to the XSR and the KTM.... But i will anyway. The fuelling is smooth, like silky smooth. There's a couple of people who say "the fuelling is a bit on-off" well f@#k me, they want to try riding a KTM 990 Superduke R or even arugably a 690 lol. Holding consistent throttles and speeds are effortless. 
Clutch is, well, Japanese, as is the whole bike really, it does everything you ask, without question, without discussion and debate, all the gear changes feel effortless, there's no slop, play or missed changes, it's just through the gears as and when you ask.

It's not a big bike, even compared to the KTM which people say is small, but this sits lower, you also don't need to move about on it when riding, just on the seat and lean into corners. It's more of a leany bike than a hang off bike for it. This does of course mean the bike stays a bit more settled.

If we're being properly picky, these is the one thing where the KTM690 wins, it feels a bit more loose, a bit more all over and that kind of entertains you, so you end up feeling a bit wooah, a bit wahaaaay and that makes you laugh. The MT-07 just gets on with it and says "sure mate, we'll take that line if you like"

Changes of direction, lightness, that's where the MT07 beats the XSR900 hands down, it just feels well, more able to go where you want, when you want and how.... The XSR always felt a bit longer and a bit more grown up in that sense.

Do i miss the power of the XSR900, i'd be a liar if i said no, but only a little bit. The little Twin engine makes a cracking noise and pulls lovely, but it's not a stomping 120bhp  twin after all so it takes a little persuasion to get there... but finding yourself at 80 is where the fun is, whereas on some of the bigger bikes (like the XSR900) you're not really getting that kick of fun well into 3 figures on the dash.

I assume the dash has buttons that show me other things, but i've got my rpm, gear indicator, fuel gauge and a clock, i don't really need to know the relative humidity in outer mongolia or any of the Traction, ABS, power modes, because i don't have them anyway :D

I'm struggling to find a downside really on this.

• Like 2

[mention]Welsh Muffin[/mention]  was cooking tea and the boy was playing a new Xbox MTB downhill game that he wants for Xmas and the demo version came out today.. So i went in and ...

Whipped out the standard shock
51615737820_a14d8fba38_z.jpg2021-10-21_06-09-33 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

51615520484_84850e0a80_z.jpg2021-10-21_06-09-25 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Then this here Wilbers got installed.
51615736720_f6ddb441ea_z.jpg2021-10-21_06-09-15 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

51614031902_8b0f22d7a4_z.jpg2021-10-21_06-09-08 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

51615735875_a6d540d88b_z.jpg2021-10-21_06-09-00 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

re-fitted all the VERY fiddly clips for the hugger, then the frame covers.
51614030877_f9a574cf83_z.jpg2021-10-21_06-08-49 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Job done, Wilbers installed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Weeksy said:

It was then, i noticed the 21 model has an adjustable shock ????

Adjustable rebound was introduced from the 2018 models onwards.

The stock shocks are built to a very low price,  and not really comparable a decent quality aftermarket shock. 

You could probably sell it for a few more dollars than the earlier non-adjustable rubbish, someone may want to add the adjustability to an earlier model.

51635113068_286f20ba4e_z.jpg2021-10-28_10-38-09 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Out this morning and what a joy this thing is to ride. It's really a very effortless and smooth thing to ride, every corner is simple, every gear change just works. If i'm being picky then i'd argue it lacks a certain amount of hooliganism compared to say the KTM 690, but i'd also argue that's as much down to me as it is to the bike. But what it lacks in hooligan it makes up for in precision, fun and just perfection. 

I don't think i saw 90 today while out, but i did see plenty of 75s or so on corners which is where the fun is for me... i like that sweet spot of enjoying but not scaring myself.

I'll never be a 200 mile day kind of guy like some on here, but i'm enjoying the 40-50 mile rides lots.

• Like 5

As with everything i've been reading the internet options and i'm more contemplating this one than deffo going for it which is an ECU remap.

https://www.wizperformance.co.uk/

This is the guy i used for the XSR900 and i was most happy with the results after a recommendation from [mention]Demannu[/mention]  so there's no logical reason i wouldn't use him again. I pinged him a message and he replied with "some of the ECUs we cannot do, i'll need a picture from the ECU sticker". I thought "yeah how hard can that be ... answer.... not as easy as you'd like. LOL.

Here's the blurb for anyone interested

ECU flashing is not only more cost effective than its alternatives but it is superior because but it also allows for more precise tuning fuel maps which automatically compensate for changing atmospheric conditions and it allows for modification of parameters that are not otherwise tunable such a throttle valve actuation.Our Standard Flashes are preset flashes that can not be altered, if you would like something specific done to your ecu you will need to choose our Custom Flashing Service.

One of the key areas we re work is the jerky throttle action these bikes are known for - once flashed this bike is much smoother
Yamaha MT07's will typically see a good 4-5hp gain across the entire rev range, not just at peak power. This means its much more noticeable even at low rpm's
Simply remove your ecu, send it to us in the post. We then re flash to your needs and return. Quick, effortless and a modification that actually provides results.
Standard Flashing Service:(Full Exhaust)
- Remove Throttle-by-Wire restrictions - Standard engine braking reduction - Disable Injector Decel Cut - Professional fuel map modification to suit exhaust - Removal of all gear based or speed dependent restrictions, TRE - Optimized timing maps - Disable AIS valve (always closed) - Reduce Fan Temps to keep the bike cooler

Standard Flashing Service:(Slip-On)
- Remove Throttle-by-Wire restrictions - Standard engine braking reduction - Disable Injector Decel Cut - Professional fuel map modification to suit exhaust - Removal of all gear based or speed dependent restrictions, TRE - Optimized timing maps - Disable AIS valve (always closed) - Reduce Fan Temps to keep the bike cooler

Custom Flashing Service Options:
- Remove Throttle-by-Wire restrictions - Standard engine braking reduction - Disable Injector Decel Cut - Professional fuel map modification to suit exhaust - Removal of all gear based or speed dependent restrictions, TRE - Optimized timing maps - Disable AIS valve (always closed) - Reduce Fan Temps to keep the bike cooler - Default to A-mode

With ECU flashing technology you no longer need to buy and fit a Dynojet Power Commander, Bazzaz ZFI, secondary fuel module, ignition module, just to name a few:
Power Commander or other piggy back fuel controllers Power Commander Secondary Fuel Module Power Commander Ignition Module Bazzaz ZFTi Two Brothers JuiceBox Leo Vince Fast II fuel and ignition box Simply after purchase disconnect your ECU using the simple instructions we will send to you and post to us, the same day we recieve your ECU we will flash it removing all throttle restrictions and setting your desired engine braking and fuel map dependant on the exhaust/filter you have fitted and ship it back to you the same business day. Power Commander and other Secondary Fuel modules cannot remove the restrictions that we do, this will make your bike as close to a YEC Race ECU as you can get, at a much cheaper price and without the need for a YEC race wiring loom. If you have a PCV, PCIII etc fitted already, send us the map along with your ECU and we will flash the map onto the ECU for you at the same time as the de-restriction, allowing you to remove the Power Commander unit and sell it on.
If you need further modification making after your ECU has been flashed and returned, all thats required is you return your ECU and cover the postage and we make the changes FREE of Charge.

Please note: some MT07s (newer 2017+ models) will get an engine management light after the flash, this needs to be cleared off and you are good to go. Failure to clear the code will just result in a light on the dash, but the bike will still perform as expected.

Just like the XSR900, the MT07 is a fake tank, well, tank covers i guess you'd call them.
The XSR was quite intuitive on removal though, take out the 8 holding bolts, 4 push clips and it comes off.... the MT07 is a little more complex lol. Especially the center panel which should in theory be the easiest one of all, but it's a bit of a pull push, tug, where they have little inlays that slot into the adjoining panel and you're pulling it thinking "oooooh i'm not sure that's not going to rip them all off"... but in the end it was OK.

ECU is in the bottom right of the bike under a rubber strap.
51637379958_083467e498_z.jpg2021-10-29_09-53-51 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

So we'll see what he says.

I'm mostly interested in the engine braking aspect as it can be reduced, which i think would help it into some corners and on track. However the more i ride the bike, the more i think "meh, not sure it actually matters". 

It may not be ultimate hooligan but it is close, is fun and it will start in the morning and will see you home after a ride - without error messages on the way. Enjoy!

• Like 2

Just do it! 

The hooligan isn’t far away with a few mods, a hord power airbox or make your own with suitable fuelling adjustment makes a great difference.

• Like 2

Just now, AP996 said:

The hooligan isn’t far away with a few mods, a hord power airbox or make your own with suitable fuelling adjustment makes a great difference.

Yeah to be fair mate, if i wanted more power i'd have kept the XSR900. The MT07 does pretty much everything i want and brilliantly. 

• Like 1

Just now, Weeksy said:

Yeah to be fair mate, if i wanted more power i'd have kept the XSR900. The MT07 does pretty much everything i want and brilliantly. 

Fair enough, I suppose I just like messing in the garage😀

Just now, AP996 said:

Fair enough, I suppose I just like messing in the garage😀

Yup, i'm 100% that kind of guy too, i love playing with bikes, i also play lots with MTBs too and ride and race them.  We've also got a ZX6R which is the track bike for the wife. 

50316203787_2c8278f14c_z.jpg2020-09-07_03-13-02 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

SO i'm not against making mods to the MT07, i just need to work out what's next... my options are below

Sigma Slipper Clutch.

Quickshifter

Remap on ECU

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Weeksy said:

Yup, i'm 100% that kind of guy too, i love playing with bikes, i also play lots with MTBs too and ride and race them.  We've also got a ZX6R which is the track bike for the wife. 

50316203787_2c8278f14c_z.jpg2020-09-07_03-13-02 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

SO i'm not against making mods to the MT07, i just need to work out what's next... my options are below

Sigma Slipper Clutch.

Quickshifter

Remap on ECU

“Track bike for the wife” you are a lucky man.

Looks like a list of very desirable mods to me.

Engine tuner says "sorry that's not on our system or Woolich yet so cannot currently be done"

That's good as it saves me money, but bad as it's not crazy money and would've been interested to see how it changes the characteristics of engine and engine braking