The MT-07 Forum

Mt07 highway use question

JacobJ265@gmail.co

JacobJ265@gmail.co

I just saw a video that really got me thinking. In this video the guy is talking about his fz07 on the highway. And he states that the only time he leaves 4th gear on a highway with a 70mph speed limit is to improve fuel economy. At 70mph in 4th you would be cruising at a constant 6k rpm or better. At 70mph in 6th my bike holds right at 5k. I know these bikes can go almost twice that speed but it seems to me like if you put a ton of miles on your bike ringing it out at 6k rpm it's gonna introduce more wear. Or am I just being a noob? My fz07 is my first bike, I'm familiar with 450 dirtbikes and quads. But this is my first high revving engine. Can these motors withstand revvs that high for a long time?

• Premium Member

6k RPM is midrange for this bike.... It can do that forever without issue with these motors with proper maintenance.

That said I see no reason to be cruising in 4th gear at 70mph on the highway. But that's just me.

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

The only way you'll get a motorcycle that does 2k rpm at 60-70mph is either a gutless cruiser or a top-end supersport.  Those are your choices.  Choose one, trade in your MT07 and enjoy your huge loss of low end torque.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

*converts to km/hr.....

WTF 112 km/hr in forth? That's beyond dumb. 5th maybe for a few seconds of extra giddy-up but nothing longer. I wouldn't take advice much more from that person. Yes, you could ride in 4th but why??? You'd feel so much more vibrations in the bike. Hard no.

I just think what is the point of staying in a higher gear than is necessary. Is it not pointless?  We used to complain of only having 4 gears, then of only 5 gears; and now there's people who like to scream an engine unnecessarily and who only need four gears!? This engine is not a screamer like a four cylinder is, btw. 

• Like 1

Just do it! 

1 hour ago, DewMan said:

6k RPM is midrange for this bike.... It can do that forever without issue with these motors with proper maintenance.

That said I see no reason to be cruising in 4th gear at 70mph on the highway. But that's just me.

Maybe running a loud pipe saving lives as they go...   😜

Yeah that’s a hard no for me. I don’t think just cruising just lingering at that type of rpm makes sense. To me I’m just still listening to my engine, the more she screams, she’s asking you to shift up. IMO no reason to beat it unless you’re doing some spirited riding. 

• Like 1