The MT-07 Forum

Before you throw on that tail tidy...

shinyribs

... consider how ugly sandblasted tail lights are. Yes, the surrounding plastic is also damaged. 

IMG_20211003_114707129_HDR.thumb.jpg.4f3e75e7fb80a820eeab4a024ca53d66.jpg

Just a heads up from the future.

• Like 3

Not to mention that if you do the mod, you no longer have a good place to attach saddle bag supports. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

I think the stock fender is way more ugly than a slightly sandblasted tail light.  You can get a new light for $80, so if it bugs you then you could always replace it every few years. 

I noticed this effect (and my dirty jacket on the back) some days after I replaced the stock fender / license plate holder by a short one this winter. Then I tinkered around and re-installed the old plastic spoilers behind the short fender. Less dirt is thrown up with it, I have to check the tail light again.

grafik.thumb.png.498331c4191f75339d013f04514be64d.png

There is still a hole in the middle, but it's possible to close it with a small rectangular piece of something that fits...I will tackle it one day

• Like 2

All this looks like support for the return of the MUDGUARD.  I know, I am in a minority of one or two on that.

• Like 3

Just do it! 

6 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Not to mention that if you do the mod, you no longer have a good place to attach saddle bag supports. 

Following your lead on this to build a luggage rack on my new bike. After close inspection, I swear that rear light mount is nearly strong enough to stand on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ElGonzales said:

I noticed this effect (and my dirty jacket on the back) some days after I replaced the stock fender / license plate holder by a short one this winter. Then I tinkered around and re-installed the old plastic spoilers behind the short fender. Less dirt is thrown up with it, I have to check the tail light again.

There is still a hole in the middle, but it's possible to close it with a small rectangular piece of something that fits...I will tackle it one day

I'd forgotten about those little spoilers. I liked the styling and thought they looked cool. Hated leaving then off when the tail tidy didn't support putting them back on. 

15 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Following your lead on this to build a luggage rack on my new bike. After close inspection, I swear that rear light mount is nearly strong enough to stand on.

Oh yeah, it's sturdy alright.  And all the bolts in it are Loctited in.  They came out without having to heat them, but just barely.  I had to take some of them out to install the upside down U bracket that the ends of the supports bolt to.

Edited by Triple Jim

14 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I'd forgotten about those little spoilers. I liked the styling and thought they looked cool. Hated leaving then off when the tail tidy didn't support putting them back on. 

Like the swoopy gray decorations on the sides of the seat that I had to take off to install my tail bag mounts.  I thought they looked nice, but they cover the threaded bossed on the frame.

if you ride with buddies you also risk flicking rocks in their faces. also if you lane split and decide to drag a ferrari off the line dont be flicking rocks on the ferrari.

18 hours ago, ElGonzales said:

I fabricated a soft plastic license plate support panel from the lid off of a bucket of Tidy Cat litter.   I had one of the buckets with the black lid.  Nice and flexible and, since we have cats, free.    I had made it same size as the plate in height, but wider to attach a couple LED strips to function as turn signals.

you can always get some of the clear protective stuff used for hood protection on a car and cover up the tail light and plastics...or would heat from the lights do something bad?

• Like 1

Or go to a sign shop and get some of the clear film they put over stickers, probably get some scraps for a buck or so.   I'm using some of it for a belt buckle guard on my fuel tank cover on the XSR.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I’ve got the standard TST fender eliminator (basically just the one bracket to hold the top of the plate) with no blinkers on it so it’s not wide or anything.      

Put about 9k miles on the bike with it on and so far don’t have any issue with sandblasting my light. Maybe I’m just lucky?