The MT-07 Forum

FZ's, R7's, Hord Airboxes, Pipes and Tunes

Evill_Ed

So maybe the R7 is a bit more of a good sport bike than all the guys who felt so hurt about Yamaha using the R7 name on it thought it would be.    Heck I remember when the RC51 came out the Superhawk was considered better on the road, even for sporting riding.  

Cool to actually hear some take on the track capabilities.

• Like 1

That is cool.

I often take mine to the track (Hord airbox fitted, Akra, PCV) and its significantly quicker than most other 650-700 twins that usually just have an aftermarket exhaust fitted.

The additional top end power that the Hord airbox gives surprised me in a big way when I first installed it and took it out on the road.

I like the R7 for the fact that it may get more people into trying track riding. Many newer riders might be quicker on the R7 than an R6 initially.

The R7 would make for a lower cost, entertaining single model race series if Yamaha went down that path.

Edited by stickshift
  • Like 1

I found this picture of the R7 intake snorkel the inside part comes from factory like this, anyone got a picture of the R7 airbox inside because the intake tracts should be smaller. Theres also a picture comparing 2 dynographs of an R7 and an mt07 really interesting. The power is the same as of the mt07 although the graph is completely different with a stronger higher end, similar graph of a mt07 with an hordpower airbox. I am interested to know the size of the intake ducts inside of the stock airbox on the R7 iam almost sure they are quite small to give all that high rev power and lower mid and low compared to the 07,another interesting thing is the revlimiter on the R7 being 12000 rpm oposed to the mt07 10490rpm. 

Screenshot_2021-09-24-02-01-36.png

Screenshot_2021-09-24-00-45-57.png

M. Hausknecht

Somebody jiggered the dyno chart., where is it from? Redline on both bikes is the same. Intake cam is same part number; exhaust cams have different part numbers but no way you'd rev a stock CP2 motor to 12,000 for long...... :)

• Like 2

That’s a serious pull on the R7. Any idea if he was letting off for traffic and not going for the pass or was this a consistent pull on the straights?

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, RobZilla said:

That’s a serious pull on the R7. Any idea if he was letting off for traffic and not going for the pass or was this a consistent pull on the straights?

We were both flat out on the straight, we dragged on the straight a few times. During our conversations, the R7 rider said that I would pull away from him every where. He couldn’t close the gap. He is a good rider and was riding faster than me, he  passed me several times throughout the day by carrying faster corner speeds. 

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

10/4 That’s awesome!

I’m really shocked Yamaha didn’t take advantage of engineering a better intake for the R7. I thought for sure that was on the list, or at least to add a ram intake of some sort. 

Edited by RobZilla

On 10/2/2021 at 1:22 PM, M. Hausknecht said:

Somebody jiggered the dyno chart., where is it from? Redline on both bikes is the same. Intake cam is same part number; exhaust cams have different part numbers but no way you'd rev a stock CP2 motor to 12,000 for long...... :)

On 10/2/2021 at 6:06 AM, RobZilla said:

...I’m really shocked Yamaha didn’t take advantage of engineering a better intake for the R7. I thought for sure that was on the list, or at least to add a ram intake of some sort. 

Euro 5 compliance is like handcuffs on the bitch in jail - while everyone takes their turn with the bitch.

Even back in the 1980's emission controls was messing with carburetors (tiny idle jets that would clog - especially anything not started up frequently or put in storage).

Fuel injection solved a huge part of the unburnt fuel emissions while maintaining power. But the emission standards keep getting tighter.  Right now, motorcycle manufacturers make bikes to comply with Euro 5 - and that bike is sold all over the world. Before that it was Euro 4. 

Can't blame it on "Euro" because in 1966 California established the first tailpipe emissions standards in America. In recent years, any vehicle sold in USA would be built to comply with the ever-tightening California standard.

Manufacturers got tired of making "49 state" vehicles + California. They will however throw some additional garbage on a California motorcycle but it is generally an easy add on for them, like charcoal vapor canister. Not a complete redesign of major engine systems.

High performance parts will generally have a disclaimer "off road use only" because it makes the vehicle non-compliant.  Even if it didn't hurt emissions, it has altered something on an engine that had passed approval with stock parts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

M. Hausknecht

Multiple reputable sources report max power at around 9000 rpm and max rpm as a smidge over 10,000rpm. See: https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/story/reviews/2022-yamaha-yzf-r7-review/; https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-reviews/2022-yamaha-yzf-r7-first-ride-review/. Even mid to high 80s hp stock displacement CP2 motors with cams, pistons, rods, bored throttle-bodies, restriction-free intakes (Hordpower or properly built airbox), and ported heads don't develop peak power much over 9500 rpm and sign off before 11,000rpm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 10/1/2021 at 2:02 PM, Evill_Ed said:

I did a track  day yesterday at my local track. A rider I know showed up with a New R7,which by the way is a very nice machine. 

We compared bikes in the pits, looking for differences and trying to determine what components could be interchanged.

He was very interested in my Hord Airbox, Hord Tune and Akrapovic Ti exhaust.

This guy is a talented rider and when I was following him, I noticed how much the R7 is a true sportbike. The R7 allows the rider get low on the bike, hang off and tuck in easier. The R7 seat and tail allow for a lot of front to back movement as well. Again they did a nice job. 

I was wondering how much  of a difference there would be between my modified FZ and a stock engined FZ or in this case an R7. 

In the clip below, you can see me follow him onto the front straight, close in and pass. I knew my bike made more power and pulled longer than it did stock, however this shows a real world difference. Money well spent in my opinion. 

The R7 will have a Hord Airbox, Hord Tune and Akra Ti VERY soon. 

eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJtZWRpdW1faWQiOiI

Shared using GoPro

Ed

Nice Ed. Bringing back memories, I've yet to write about that, but anyway awesome bit of video.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 12:02 PM, Evill_Ed said:

I did a track  day yesterday at my local track. A rider I know showed up with a New R7,which by the way is a very nice machine. 

We compared bikes in the pits, looking for differences and trying to determine what components could be interchanged.

He was very interested in my Hord Airbox, Hord Tune and Akrapovic Ti exhaust.

This guy is a talented rider and when I was following him, I noticed how much the R7 is a true sportbike. The R7 allows the rider get low on the bike, hang off and tuck in easier. The R7 seat and tail allow for a lot of front to back movement as well. Again they did a nice job. 

I was wondering how much  of a difference there would be between my modified FZ and a stock engined FZ or in this case an R7. 

In the clip below, you can see me follow him onto the front straight, close in and pass. I knew my bike made more power and pulled longer than it did stock, however this shows a real world difference. Money well spent in my opinion. 

The R7 will have a Hord Airbox, Hord Tune and Akra Ti VERY soon. 

eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJtZWRpdW1faWQiOiI

Shared using GoPro

Ed

The FZ/MT 07 was designed as commuter bike. The R7 is a true sport bike by design. If you want to enjoy the spoils of an R7 buy one. WADR With All Due Respect 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, FZWes said:

The FZ/MT 07 was designed as commuter bike. The R7 is a true sport bike by design. If you want to enjoy the spoils of an R7 buy one. WADR With All Due Respect 

What a joke, the R7 wasn't designed as a true sport bike; they repurposed the MT-07 and added the R6 frontend parts with new plastics. The only thing new they engineered was the side covers that are supposed to stiffen up the frame. Other than that, all they did was take what the typical MT-07 racer was already doing. So, don't kid yourself.

Edited by br4nd0n
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...