The MT-07 Forum

2020 mt07

Breezy

i took of the license plate holder in the back and had to cut the wires to the turn signals to get them off, after that my brake light wont come on. any ideas?

Check the 10A Signaling System Fuse. Or install the spare fuse you will find in the fuse box and then test the brake light.
It should not blow without power turned on while you cut the wires, but it is connected to the turn signal light circuit (thats new in the 2020 wiring diagram) and supplies the brake light with voltage. So it is a good point to start.

Edited by ElGonzales

Ignition switch "off" should be enough.

I can't explain what happened yet, not enough information and it's not so easy when you are far away and there are a lot of possibilities.
I see a chance of a short circuit that blows the Signaling System Fuse if you cut wires while the ignition switch was accidentally in Parking Light Mode.  In this case your License plate light and horn are dead too.

Edited by ElGonzales

nozeitgeist1800

i had a fuse blow when i was installing my fender eliminator, even though bike was off. was a pain to find until i realized the labels are wrong and just started looking for a blown fuse. i think the brake and license plate fuses were switched but im not sure, my memory is not to be trusted

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

i had a fuse blow when i was installing my fender eliminator, even though bike was off. was a pain to find until i realized the labels are wrong and just started looking for a blown fuse. i think the brake and license plate fuses were switched but im not sure, my memory is not to be trusted

I mean this in the most respectable way possible.... I doubt the labels are "wrong". Good luck-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

nozeitgeist1800
4 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I mean this in the most respectable way possible...

I appreciate you saying that, because if you hadn't i definitely would have taken this as incredibly... dis-respectable...

that said, maybe youre right, maybe license plate light doesnt mean what i think it means. ive always figured it would mean the light that goes over the license plate, but who knows? maybe license plate light means the light that activates when someone hits the brake. i always thought that was called the brake light, but if the labels are right, maybe ive been taught wrong all my life and that is called the license plate light?

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

I appreciate you saying that, because if you hadn't i definitely would have taken this as incredibly... dis-respectable...

that said, maybe youre right, maybe license plate light doesnt mean what i think it means. ive always figured it would mean the light that goes over the license plate, but who knows? maybe license plate light means the light that activates when someone hits the brake. i always thought that was called the brake light, but if the labels are right, maybe ive been taught wrong all my life and that is called the license plate light?

No need get sarcastic/passive-aggressive 🙄-

The Brake light assembly and license plate light are both powered by the same fuse (2014 - 2020, have no document for 2021)
In the wiring diagram of the Yamaha service manual it's #8, called Signaling system fuse. I have compared the theory with my real bike, at least there it is correct.

You can only blow THIS fuse if there's a voltage on it. If that's the case, then your license plate is lit, the brake light works and the ignition switch is turned on. OR there's already a short circuit in the new cutted and reconnected wiring and the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key.

And I think one can easily misinterpret the drawing inside the fuse box, it is also good to compare the given ampere values.

If you find sarcasm or irony, it's just by my sloppy English grammar  :D

• Like 2

nozeitgeist1800
13 hours ago, cornerslider said:

No need get sarcastic/passive-aggressive 🙄-

fair enough. that said, have you ever had someone say "i mean this as respectfully as possible" and then actually feel like they weren't being disrespectful? it probably comes off as sarcastic / passive aggressive, right? it's very similar to when someone says "no offense" then proceeds to say the most offensive shet they can think of. just food for thought for future interactions

nozeitgeist1800
12 hours ago, ElGonzales said:

The Brake light assembly and license plate light are both powered by the same fuse (2014 - 2020, have no document for 2021)
In the wiring diagram of the Yamaha service manual it's #8, called Signaling system fuse. I have compared the theory with my real bike, at least there it is correct.

You can only blow THIS fuse if there's a voltage on it. If that's the case, then your license plate is lit, the brake light works and the ignition switch is turned on. OR there's already a short circuit in the new cutted and reconnected wiring and the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key.

And I think one can easily misinterpret the drawing inside the fuse box, it is also good to compare the given ampere values.

If you find sarcasm or irony, it's just by my sloppy English grammar  :D

that must have been my mistake, i may have taken signalling fuse to mean just turn signal fuse. beans, thought i actually remembered something helpful. as far as power goes, i may have turned the key over at some point to check that i had the right wires, so maybe that was what happened with mine. not sure, though, just sounds familiar.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

fair enough. that said, have you ever had someone say "i mean this as respectfully as possible" and then actually feel like they weren't being disrespectful? it probably comes off as sarcastic / passive aggressive, right? it's very similar to when someone says "no offense" then proceeds to say the most offensive shet they can think of. just food for thought for future interactions

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful in any way.... I'm sorry your feelings got hurt. There is quite a bit of mis-information on this forum that points folks in the wrong direction. Based on your above post ^ that seems to be the case. I am by no means a professional mechanic, but I've been working on track bikes for over 40 years, and have never needed to go to a dealer for any kind of service. Electrical issues are "challenging", but Yamaha does a really good job of labeling things correctly/better than other manufactures. I wasn't trying to start an online argument, I was only trying to help another member out with an electrical issue. I hope you are well 😎-

• Like 1

nozeitgeist1800
6 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful in any way.... I'm sorry your feelings got hurt. There is quite a bit of mis-information on this forum that points folks in the wrong direction. Based on your above post ^ that seems to be the case. I am by no means a professional mechanic, but I've been working on track bikes for over 40 years, and have never needed to go to a dealer for any kind of service. Electrical issues are "challenging", but Yamaha does a really good job of labeling things correctly/better than other manufactures. I wasn't trying to start an online argument, I was only trying to help another member out with an electrical issue. I hope you are well 😎-

all is well, no hurt feelings here. just pointing out the effect that tone can have on delivery, as well as how passive aggressive comments tend to beget passive aggressive comments. I really appreciate you worrying about my feelings, though.

i had simply stated what my experience was and what it took for me to get it rectified, along with the disclaimer that my memory wasnt to be trusted - which was accurate since i seemed to have misremembered  what label confused me. it also provided the opportunity to be corrected in a helpful manner by ElGonzales (who actually provided information and reasoning). why you felt the need to jump in and be antagonistic is beyond me, but im very doubtful it was to "help another member out". im curious which part of "I mean this in the most respectable way possible.... I doubt the labels are "wrong". Good luck-" was intended to be helpful. this helped neither the OP or myself, all it did was serve as a means for you to poke at another user who was genuinely trying to help and had just misremembered what had confused him during the process that OP was having trouble with. my guess is that it was an attempt to flex some imagined 'internet peen', which i would guess is also the reasoning behind letting us know about your mechanical history.

how's about we just be decent and move along and stop hijacking this thread so OP can get helped? im fairly petty, so i cannot help myself when people are disrespectful (intentionally or not), rude, antagonistic, or passive aggressive.

• Like 1