The MT-07 Forum

Soft Saddlebag Supports

C.Overly

Hey Group,

I need to haul some essentials to and from work and use a pair of Cortech saddlebags to get the job done.

They are secured well and I have no fear of them coming off, but they lean in way more then I would like them to. 

Anyone have any experience with saddlebag supports or frames?

38924587_LeaningSoftSaddlebags.thumb.jpg.2a328dcf752c4aae7087e2d9a73289cd.jpg

I made a solution for me but it required lots of fab work. A fair amount of welding and machine work.  But if you do an internet search for FZ09 soft luggage support it might be helpful. A guy heated up some PVC pipes and had them to where the skipped over the passenger pegs. The other end of the pipe clipped to the tail light setup somehow. Been a long time, so I don't remember really, but he could pop it on and off the bike in seconds. 

There are commercial saddle bag supports available for our FZ-07s and MT-07s, but I wanted something simple and clean looking.  Here are the ones I made from 1/4" stainless steel rod and some stainless brackets and small parts I fabricated.  If you get creative you can probably make something tailored to your bags.

photo005.thumb.jpg.24168a3b8d0b5ca7b9f31b0340c7723b.jpg

photo004.thumb.jpg.07febdf6c36ad89bd81d05039907c19d.jpg

photo006.thumb.jpg.a1db8654d1dded09c77f9b9b2abb02fb.jpg

photo007.thumb.jpg.e5e6360a7b026c0ae7a2d0bf25b0b762.jpg

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 4

Triple Jim, 

That does look pretty clean!

I sadly dont have the equipment to weld stainless in that fashion. I'm not opposed to getting crafting with hardware though...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

There are commercial saddle bag supports available for our FZ-07s and MT-07s, but I wanted something simple and clean looking.  Here are the ones I made from 1/4" stainless steel rod and some stainless brackets and small parts I fabricated.  If you get creative you can probably make something tailored to your bags.

photo005.thumb.jpg.24168a3b8d0b5ca7b9f31b0340c7723b.jpg

photo004.thumb.jpg.07febdf6c36ad89bd81d05039907c19d.jpg

photo006.thumb.jpg.a1db8654d1dded09c77f9b9b2abb02fb.jpg

photo007.thumb.jpg.e5e6360a7b026c0ae7a2d0bf25b0b762.jpg

It's hard to mount stuff on these bikes with these ultra slim tails. Your solution here is a perfect case for keeping the rear light stinger and not doing the typical tail tidy. Went to check and those stingers are impressively rigid! I have been staring at the back of my 09 scratching my head for a couple days now. I'm gonna follow your lead on this. Never occurred to me to brace off the stinger like that. 👍👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

It's hard to mount stuff on these bikes with these ultra slim tails. Your solution here is a perfect case for keeping the rear light stinger and not doing the typical tail tidy. Went to check and those stingers are impressively rigid! I have been staring at the back of my 09 scratching my head for a couple days now. I'm gonna follow your lead on this. Never occurred to me to brace off the stinger like that.

I'm glad if it gets you on the right track.  Before I bought my MT I verified a couple things.  One was that I could make bag supports that used the tail to mount to, and the other was that it was easy to reverse the shift pattern to 1 up and 5 down.   :)

Edit:  I'll look forward to photos of your version!

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
firstyammerha

As a recent convert to saddlebags, I like the Hepco & Becker C-Bow set up. The bags are pushed up and to the outside. Unfortunately, I didn't buy Hepco & Becker bags so I'll have to improvise on my CB300R.

Daniellessoul

Just a quick question for the guys running saddlebags, are you running them in addition to a topcase or tail bag or instead of?  For me my MT is a second bike for splitting around town.  I opted for a topcase for some storage but am fortunate enough to have my 1200 GS when I need full cases for a long trip.  I guess if you are in a place where you can't split it makes less difference.

firstyammerha

I have saddlebags on one bike and a luggage rack on the other. I don't use them for anything but small cargo usually 10lbs. or less. Well, I'm working on the saddlebag installation now but really only need one bag in reality. However, two is more aesthetically pleasing.

• Like 1

I have a tail bag mounted full-time.  I add the saddle bags when I need more carrying capacity.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
firstyammerha

The bags that I bought for my CB300R are Givi and their installation instructions have a recommendation that supports be used with the bag. There are posts on the CBR300 forum where people are not using them and report that it's no problem riding around with the bags unsupported. After mounting mine, I see a possibility of the bags interfering with the wheel so I think that I will wait for Givi to produce bag supports. I've corresponded with them and they are producing these in the near future.