The MT-07 Forum

Screen protector long term reviews?

shinyribs

I kinda regret never getting one of those protective film covers for the gauge display side my face now has some micro scratches on it ( gravel road life)? I was always a bit worried that the adhesive on them might act up in the sun and cause problems. 

Anyone been using one long term on a bike that gets parked outside in the hot summer sun? Any issues of any sort with them?

I don't know about the actual screen protectors, but I can say the 3M clear film used over printed stickers and wraps do not discolor.  I had it used on all my Krieger Cam Chain Tensioners stickers, because of that.  3M good stuff.  That is based on my stickers I have had on the back windows of my truck for the past 8 years, exposed to the elements 24/7/365.   I am using it for s paint shield on the tank of my XSR against zippers on my coats.   Any sign/sticker printing shop has it and you could likely get some scraps for low or no cost. 

Now that you have mentioned it I will likely put some on the XSR gauge. 

Edited by klx678

Thanks for the heads up on that. Is that sort of stuff removable? 

I actually think my SW Motech throwovers came with some of that stuff to keep the bags from rubbing on the tail panels. 3M is trustworthy, but I'd want something removable for the speedo. 

Edited by shinyribs

I got several (3?) protectors from Speedo Angels, and the instructions say they're removable.  I've had mine on all year and there are no signs of degradation, but it's only been out in the sun a few hours, since it's kept in my garage.  I won't know how long it lasts or how fast it degrades until it needs replacing, and from what I've seen so far that will be at least several years from now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

I got several (3?) protectors from Speedo Angels, and the instructions say they're removable.  I've had mine on all year and there are no signs of degradation, but it's only been out in the sun a few hours, since it's kept in my garage.  I won't know how long it lasts or how fast it degrades until it needs replacing, and from what I've seen so far that will be at least several years from now.

I looked them up and it seems theirs are tempered glass. I like that a lot? Have gotten really spoiled to that on my phones lately.

6 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I looked them up and it seems theirs are tempered glass.

Mine are not glass.  They are very clear plastic film, allegedly scratch resistant.  They call it "nano glass", but that's just advertising.   From the site:

What is Nano Glass?

Nano Glass screen protectors from Speedo Angels are made from Plexiglass to bring you the strength and transparency of tempered glass, but with the flexibility and lightweight of plastic.

Oddly, the trademarked Plexiglas has only one "s", so I'm not sure what's going on there.

There's a thread here about protectors and one post mentioned a less expensive source... maybe eBay.  You might check that out.  I suspect they're all from the same Asian source, but I don't have any proof.

• Thanks 1

I saw an ad on eBay that said tempered glass, but apparently that's only for the SP model FZ 09 with the TFT dash. Bummer, but plastic works, too!

3 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Bummer, but plastic works, too!

It was easy and forgiving to install, and has stayed like new all year.

• Thanks 1