The MT-07 Forum

No / flickering Neutral light.

R6-FZ07

Hello.  Hope all is well.  I need some help with diagnosing.

When cold, neutral light is on and able to move bike around.  After a ride, when I shift to neutral, no neutral light, and once I release the clutch it revs a little then drops.  I'm able to move the bike around (no neutral light) but once I put the kickstand down it shuts off.

Could it be the kickstand switch?

Thanks 

I'd look for information about how to clean the neutral switch.  I bet if it's not making good contact when the transmission is in neutral, the ECU thinks it's not in neutral... hence putting the kickstand down stops the engine.

Edit:  In searching this board I found this.  The gear sensor is circled in that photo below.  I suspect it's not sensing that you're in neutral all the time. 

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

I'd look for information about how to clean the neutral switch.  I bet if it's not making good contact when the transmission is in neutral, the ECU thinks it's not in neutral... hence putting the kickstand down stops the engine.

Edit:  In searching this board I found this.  The gear sensor is circled in that photo below.  I suspect it's not sensing that you're in neutral all the time. 

Thanks.  I checked that out last night and it looked clean.  Just wiped it down.  But I'll try and sanding.

I think it's probably the same issue like the gears that are not shown in the dasboard. The soldered connection inside the potting compound (hope that is the correct term) of the gear sensor is broken. The usual behavior is: it works as long as the sensor is cold, as soon as it gets hot it becomes a loose connection.

You can change the sensor or remove the compound and re-solder the cable connection. Neutral is the sky blue wire.

Edit:

I've "stolen" those images from an other user of german mt07-forum.de but I think it's ok, I don't know if you have to register or not to see them. There are some more of how he fixed it, he did a fantastic job :)
A lot of those sensors seems to develop a problem at their internal soldering points. Starts with flickering, ends with complete failure of the recognized gear. It's one cable per gear + neutral:

grafik.png.590aa03894d0911915bd9493c0a17ab3.png

grafik.png.4d2808583db79b198666b61c1ceabb98.png

Edited by ElGonzales
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ElGonzales said:

I think it's probably the same issue like the gears that are not shown in the dasboard. The soldered connection inside the potting compound (hope that is the correct term) of the gear sensor is broken. The usual behavior is: it works as long as the sensor is cold, as soon as it gets hot it becomes a loose connection.

You can change the sensor or remove the compound and re-solder the cable connection. Neutral is the sky blue wire.

Edit:

I've "stolen" those images from an other user of german mt07-forum.de but I think it's ok, I don't know if you have to register or not to see them. There are some more of how he fixed it, he did a fantastic job :)
A lot of those sensors seems to develop a problem at their internal soldering points. Starts with flickering, ends with complete failure of the recognized gear. It's one cable per gear + neutral:

grafik.png.590aa03894d0911915bd9493c0a17ab3.png

grafik.png.4d2808583db79b198666b61c1ceabb98.png

Thanks for the information.

I sanded the sensor last night but still happened this morning.  But when I move the wires around neutral light flickers.  I'll be purchasing a new gear sensor.

• Like 1