The MT-07 Forum

To Lean or Not to Lean?

bornagainbiker

Being both an on road and off road rider I lean whichever way the situation calls for.  Didn't get to view the video yet...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, klx678 said:

Being both an on road and off road rider I lean whichever way the situation calls for.  Didn't get to view the video yet...

Being an offroader first, I get fussed at for leaning the wrong way sometimes. 

" Yeah, well...but you didn't keep up, so..." 😁 

Now I'll just tell em that Fortnine says it's alright. 

• Haha 3

I'm not so fast on the road that I actually ever have seriously shifted inside, mostly because I just don't really feel that secure on a public road.  I would like to do a track day or school or both.   Retiring next June so that just may make something possible...  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, klx678 said:

I'm not so fast on the road that I actually ever have seriously shifted inside, mostly because I just don't really feel that secure on a public road.  I would like to do a track day or school or both.   Retiring next June so that just may make something possible...  

Pretty much all the shifting inside I do on the street is lean my upper buddy and hang a leg out. Even just pushing your inside thigh out you can feel the difference it makes. I never go so far as to hang off the seat. I got buddy's that do, I'm just way too lazy.

There's weird curves in our mountain roads. Curves often have banks that lean the wrong way to get water draining off the road. Man, they feel gross no matter what you do. 

• Like 1

I was disappointed that he didn't really clarify that staying upright or leaning away should only be done at low speeds.  Once you start running at higher speeds you should be leaning to the inside.

Fortnine is usually very thorough on his videos, but not this one.

3 hours ago, Nealsmo said:

I was disappointed that he didn't really clarify that staying upright or leaning away should only be done at low speeds.  Once you start running at higher speeds you should be leaning to the inside.

Motojitsu actually did a video response saying just that - essentially agreeing with everything said and saying it applies to low speeds, but once you pick up the pace, higher bike lean angles = higher risk as you run out of tire, so that's why you lean your body in an effort to keep the bike as upright as possible to maintain traction or if there's any type of hazard mid-corner you need to react to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nealsmo said:

I believe his "upright" means in line with the Z axis of the bike, neutral from side to side of said axis.  Unless riding at a significant rate that is more sporting on public roads, not much, if any weight shift off said neutral position would be needed. 

Lot of times I'm riding fairly fast yet I can stay pretty much in a neutral position for most corners.  It is when the pace picks up that weight shifts in from neutral to the insde start coming into play.    It is relative to the place where one is riding.  

1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

Ha, an Internet video isn't going to get me to lean the wrong way in high speed turns.   :)

Ever do much dirt/gravel?  I've actually transitioned from one side lean to the other,  body in/bike more upright to body out/bike leaned in and sliding.  

Of course not on my 700, rather on the KLX650 at higher speeds for said dirt/gravel roads.  High speed is such a relative term too.  Consider some supermoto riders coming into and out of turns.

He's not super clear on this topic, though at the end of the video he does state that you should lean (in) if you are approaching maximum corner speed, which is not as good as what Motojitsu stated in his video.  Ultimately for most "daily" riding counter-leaning allows for a quicker turn and better balance.  Neutral position is probably good for 90% of normal riding and for the other 10% are probably proportionally greater low speed riding (counter-lean) more so than requiring leaning in...

I'm glad M-J addressed it.  I don't watch all of his videos, but I have my wife subscribed since she's a new rider.  In fact he was one of the instructors at her MSF course.  He's local, so I recognize all the roads in his videos.

52 minutes ago, klx678 said:

Consider some supermoto riders coming into and out of turns.

We weren't leaning to the outside in this turn.  :)

three_turning.jpg

• Like 1

He his really on point, for quick avoidance you move the bike, same if you move slow and have to muscle up your bike through articulated path! But hammering the gas means leaning inside, the supermoto shet it’s slow!
I had the pleasure to meet a guy with a Ktm 690 smc at my local track, the last turn it’s a double apex and can be quite a fast one, before and after that there are long straights and he was really trying to optimize it, late braking and early pick up , trying to deform the turn enough to make the middle of the turn just a little shorter, he tried to split it in two short turns with a small straight in between, at one point it surrendered it’s supermoto style and start to lean like anybody else, even if just for this one. 
Results ? 0.3 of a second faster on its first try , he was reaching the limit on lean for the tyre way too soon and he was just stuck there. 
but to be honest, on other turns he was really fast , he flicked the bike in nothing and just accelerate to the moon, but on that turn, with that condition, he was slowed down.