The MT-07 Forum

Crashed FZ 07

CEBTPA

So I let my friend ride my bike and he crashed it into the woods.  Friend is fine, the bike...  It is a 2016 FZ 07 with 9800 miles.  The damage aside from cosmetic is two bent rims.   I was able to ride it home, just slowly.  I thought I would fix it but got a call from the shop and parts are on back order.  It looks like I will get it back in November. Rims + tires + service (needed tires and service anyway) about $2500 or I could just sell it to them for $1000 without repairing.  I am really itching to ride.   A couple of questions. 

First is it worth repairing?  I was perfectly happy with it when it was crashed. 

If I keep it, any tire suggestions?  I mostly tool around town.

If I sell it, is the 2021 MT 07 much of an upgrade?  

If you were to start over, what might you pick over a MT07?  I really don't have an itch for an MT 09.

Edited by CEBTPA

2019_MT07_Owner

There are a bunch of wheels for sale on eBay... I feel like you could repair the bike cheaper and faster yourself.  Plus, its easier to get new tires fitted to the lose wheels.

Just a thought.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

First off, If your "Friend" isn't ponying up for the repairs, s/he's not a real friend.

Second, if you're only going to get $1,000 for the damaged bike I'd keep it.

Thirdly, you can't expect us to tell you what bike you want.  Everyone's situation/wants/needs/budget is different.

Good luck resolving this. ✌️

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Thanks for the replies.  I am useless with repairs so shop it is.  Yes he offered to pay for the repairs, I refused so we decided to split them.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, CEBTPA said:

Thanks for the replies.  I am useless with repairs so shop it is.  Yes he offered to pay for the repairs, I refused so we decided to split them.

If it's been hit hard enough to bend rims there's a good chance there is other damage you may not see yet, like bent forks etc. Have you had it inspected by the dealer or did you just call and ask how much to replace the rims?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Shetty situation, sounds like you and your friend are both stand up guys.  Glad your friend didn't get banged up.  I would really go over the bike thoroughly before doing anything.  Check for cracked welds, warped frame, leaky fork seals, steering head alignment, etc.  I'd hate for you to put money into repairs only to find out that the bike had hidden issues that could prove fatal on the road.  If the bike checks out, then I'd repair the bike and recommend my friend (and myself) go get some training while waiting for the repairs to be complete.  I'd also shop around to see if there is a reputable shop that could get the work done sooner. As far as something better for "around town" riding - nothing better in my opinion.  If you were doing other types of riding or had specific complaints about the FZ, then maybe another bike could be suggested.  Best of luck.

M. Hausknecht

Dunno where you are but you have a bunch of options: find some used wheels and fix it yourself or find a reasonably experienced motorcycle mechanic (not at a dealership, too much $) to fix it; sell the bike as is or in parts (worth more but can be a PITA); or perhaps have the wheels straightened (wheels bend and can be bent back, but only if not too bent!).

39 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

or perhaps have the wheels straightened (wheels bend and can be bent back, but only if not too bent!).

Woody's Wheel Works

Untitled-1_6a96d4f9-9fb3-4dcf-a6f1-b79ec

Woody's Wheel Works will repair your bent or broken alloy motorcycle wheel at a fraction of the cost of a new replacement...

7 hours ago, DewMan said:

First off, If your "Friend" isn't ponying up for the repairs, s/he's not a real friend.

Second, if you're only going to get $1,000 for the damaged bike I'd keep it.

Thirdly, you can't expect us to tell you what bike you want.  Everyone's situation/wants/needs/budget is different.

Good luck resolving this. ✌️

I'm with him! 

Friend oughta be very eager to help with the bill, even if they don't have the money at the moment.

I'd not go to that shop again. Grab a set of used rims and roll on. 

7 hours ago, DewMan said:

If it's been hit hard enough to bend rims there's a good chance there is other damage you may not see yet, like bent forks etc. 

I won't disagree with this. But I wouldn't worry about the forks too much just yet. The super light wheels nowadays seem to collapse before the forks will. That said, since the rear rim is bent....geez, that must've been a hell of a whack. Did he run in to something, or did the bike fall off a ledge? 

nozeitgeist1800

are the rims on backorder with partzilla or another oem parts store? they seem to be around $600 for a pair of rims on partzilla. $2500 seems really high if all theyd be fixing is rims and tires, but thats just me. might be worth buying everything yourself and having them put on at another spot or by yourself/selves.

Edited by nozeitgeist1800
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2021 at 1:54 PM, CEBTPA said:

So I let my friend ride my bike and he crashed it into the woods.  Friend is fine, the bike...  It is a 2016 FZ 07 with 9800 miles.  The damage aside from cosmetic is two bent rims.   I was able to ride it home, just slowly.  I thought I would fix it but got a call from the shop and parts are on back order.  It looks like I will get it back in November. Rims + tires + service (needed tires and service anyway) about $2500 or I could just sell it to them for $1000 without repairing.  I am really itching to ride.   A couple of questions. 

First is it worth repairing?  I was perfectly happy with it when it was crashed. 

If I keep it, any tire suggestions?  I mostly tool around town.

If I sell it, is the 2021 MT 07 much of an upgrade?  

If you were to start over, what might you pick over a MT07?  I really don't have an itch for an MT 09.

How did you make out? Did you fix it or sell it?