The MT-07 Forum

Took the plunge [San Diego]

ch3rryghost

• Premium Member

Well, your husband is going to have to step up his game!   
Cruisers definitely have their appeal. I also have a Shadow Aero that I dearly love although it can be a cranky diva. It's comfy and perfect for the super slab. Plus if I'm going downtown and parking and leaving it I know no one is going to mess with it. I would never leave my 07 like that.

Have fun riding with your new partner in crime.  8-)  Maybe after a while he'll let you ride it.
I'm sure the opportunity will come up this weekend for me to ride that beast.  He has it parked outside (lives in a complex) and is going back and forth between safety measures, we joke that the size of it is enough to deter any novice thief.  

Staying local is all well and good but remember that most motorcycle accidents happen within 5 miles of home. According to the Dept. of Transportation, more than half of all motorcycle accidents involve riders with less than 5 months or 500 miles of experience. However, a motorcycle cop once told me that if a newbie survives his or her first 300 miles on a bike, the risk of having a serious accident drops exponentially. 

As a former commercial pilot and certified flight instructor I think riding a motorcycle in many ways is not unlike flying an airplane. It's all about managing risk. And the best way to become a proficient risk manager is to consistently gain as much experience possible in the shortest period of time. Stretch out the learning process too long and you may begin to forget all the stuff you've already learned.

I know it's winter "Up North" and it may not be possible right now to accumulate that all-important experience and the subsequent confidence that results from said experience, but in my view the best approach to learning how to ride (or fly) is as follows...

Pushing the envelope definitely speeds up the learning process, it's been most noticeable for me in my snowboarding. How am I supposed to know how to control my body and board in hairy situations unless I purposefully and carefully expose myself to certain runs or speeds that are not completely above my skill level but certainly out of my comfort zone? You obviously gain confidence and skills through repetition.  
There's no winter in southern california :) although I learned last night, the cold really cuts through a lot of gear. My hands were surprisingly cold after my longest ride yet!

It's all preference but I plant my left foot.. right foot covers the brake, left hand on clutch.. bike always in gear. I leave enough space ahead of me to GTFO if someone comes up hot. 

I don't like sittin' around in neutral, cramps my style.

I practiced planting my left foot last night on every single complete stop. Felt good and natural--thanks for the advice.

Welcome! Another one in SoCal!  

Congrats and I think most have already given plenty of advice here on your venture. Hope you're enjoying this warm winter weather we're having!!

Thanks for the welcome! This weather is VERY conducive to motorcycle riding. I love it.   

There's some pretty good information in Twist of the Wrist Vol II. It's heavily track oriented, but translates to smoothness on the streets. The bit that covers bike set up and design characteristics would probably help a new rider better understand the demands of a 2 wheeled vehicle. There's a video and book. 

Yes, I have watched the video. Definitely good information in there and something I'll need to watch again since gaining some 'real world' experience

I'm near fashion valley..and that looks fun bike center? Their inventory is amazing but for any service i recommend ivans fast bikes shop, he's just on the other side of the highway from fbc. He use to be a mechanic at fbc years ago.. 
I have yet to hear a fz07 in person...but graphite would be my color

Yep you called it. I didn't purchase through FBC, bought mine at North County House of Motorcycles. I'll keep that in mind regarding a service shop but I'm more inclined on getting a service manual and wrenching myself. How serious are you in terms of buying and are you susceptible to e-peer pressure :P If you ever see a lady on a graphite FZ around your area--it may just be me! A good friend of mine lives in those complexes off Camino de la Reina so I'm in the area all the time.   

Archived