The MT-07 Forum

New 21' Digital Display Compatible on Older years?

RowdyFZ07

So i recently messed up the digital display on my 2017 FZ07 & am looking to replace it. rather than just buying another OEM display like i had does anyone know if i can get the new refreshed display from the 2021's to work on my bike? 

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I don’t know if the 2021 dash will work for your 2017. However, if you do replace your dash with a new one, your mileage will show as zero, since the mileage is not stored by the ECU. The mileage is stored in the dash. Depending where you live, the DMV may have forms you need to file, since you put on a new dash with a zero odometer and inform them of your actual mileage.

• Like 1

Civiltechyyc

I don't know but the first place I would start with is seeing if the connector is the same part number from the older years to the newer. If you're savvy you could rewire/pin the connector accordingly but that's a multi day process and not a for sure bet.

The wiring harness (diagram) might also be a good place to check... You could kludge together an adapter connector from the old harness connector to the new one, if there are many changes and to keep the ability to 'return to' the original display in the event of a resale or problem with the new display hook up... If the connectors are identical, you could use a pin extractor and move any 'changed' pins if necessary... Good luck, if you attempt any of these. :)

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 6:39 AM, glacierblue said:

How'd you mess it up? I'm curious about this too. following.

did one of those LCD flip kits and apparently applied too much pressure while trying to remove the old residue leaving half the display with a darker side than the other.. i know i know.. stupid mistake.

On 8/27/2021 at 1:29 AM, RowdyFZ07 said:

So i recently messed up the digital display on my 2017 FZ07 & am looking to replace it. rather than just buying another OEM display like i had does anyone know if i can get the new refreshed display from the 2021's to work on my bike? 

You know, a 21' display might be a shade big on a bike, not bad in an arena though...   😄

Yeah I knew what was meant, a '21 display, but had to rib you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RowdyFZ07 said:

did one of those LCD flip kits and apparently applied too much pressure while trying to remove the old residue leaving half the display with a darker side than the other.. i know i know.. stupid mistake.

I just did one of the LCD flip kits and it turned out great! It's now black with white text and I did the RPM color kit, it looks so much better! sorry it didn't work for you ;(

Old guys like me get to where we leave well enough alone.   :)   It's the result of too many times that something went wrong and we think "I wish I hadn't tried this."

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Old guys like me get to where we leave well enough alone.   :)   It's the result of too many times that something went wrong and we think "I wish I hadn't tried this."

Yup.. felt like an idiot as soon as I plugged it in & noticed it was busted. Everything looks so simple in videos 🤣

• Like 2

There was a guy here who said he had several brand new dashes available at a good price a few months ago.

nozeitgeist1800

i did my lcd flip a week or two ago, was terrified the ENTIRE time i was doing it. started with just a razor blade but the film was too brittle, had to grab a hair dryer to heat it up a bit. didnt make me feel any more sure that i wasnt messing up, but made it a hell of a lot easier to pull the film off. just apply heat, pull up half an inch of film, apply heat to next half inch, repeat. never doing it again, though.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

When I flipped my 2017 display it wasn't a brittle film. I used a razorblade to lift up a corner of the film, then continued to use the razorblade to assist with gently peeling it off. After the film removal was complete I used a soft cloth with rubbing alcohol to remove the glue residue to prepare it for install of the new film. The film isn't that easy to install bubble free so you may want to have extras incase you need a redo.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

nozeitgeist1800

i think we traded each other's hard portion of the process, my film laid down without bubbles really easy. but that was after double and triple checking placement, angle, and i kinda wedged the bottom into the bit of a groove that's there and it seemed to fall into place on accident. raising the corner of the film was where mine was a brittle nightmare. once i had an actual handle on the film it wasnt too bad, but the film kept breaking pieces off when i tried to lift enough of the corner to get a hold of it. either way, it looks amazing once done, especially paired with the color film they have for it as well once you bump the brightness up all the way. very happy with mine

• Like 2

nozeitgeist1800

that looks phenomenal. way better than i expected it to from the photos on their website

• Like 1

Ya had me looking at the 2020-21 instrument clusters. The new head light is a "wasp" type similar to that of the MT 09. Just saying for ascetic purposes that has alot of appeal. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After seeing some of the pictures here - I decided to pull the trigger on an LCD flip and color combo myself. Taking pictures of the finished product during the day was kind of tough (tried to minimize glare and also not get myself in the reflection lmao) so I have some day/night pictures. The day shot was during the startup cycle to try and get as much illumination as possible because it was pretty overcast out. The night shot looks clean, but it's definitely not that pinkish in person, its more of a really dark purple (but they mention it won't be completely black at night on the site, so it's about what I expected).

PXL_20211009_173726458 (2).jpg

PXL_20211010_000856919 (2).jpg