The MT-07 Forum

Bulb Upgrade for Stock Tail Light and Turn Signals

FZ not MT

For those of us who actually like the stock turn signals and tail light, does anybody know if there are any more powerful aftermarket light bulbs for a 2016 FZ-07 out there? I went with an Osram bulb for my headlight, and it worked out pretty well. I just had the thought about my other lights.

Any ideas?

• Premium Member

I replaced all my turn signa bulbs and the headlight's accent lights with cheap amazon LEDs . I also had to replace the flasher unit with an Amazon LED compatible one as well. See this picture to see the incandescent (left) and new LED (right). The running amber was as bright as the old bulb's turn signal brightness and the turn signal brightness that much brighter again.

Running_LIghts.thumb.jpg.340f7cc61611004d9fc36fe726bc2433.jpg

Links to the bulbs & flasher unit I bought bought for my 2017.. there are probably 100s of other bulbs that will work just as well but these have been working without issue for over 4 yrs:

Turn signal LEDs

accent bulbs

LED compatible Flasher Unit

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

21 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I replaced all my turn signa bulbs and the headlight's accent lights with cheap amazon LEDs .

Cool - Thanks

@FZ not MT

I did the same bulbs for turn signals and they're great.  Unfortunately the rubber nubs that hold my rear signals have sheared off and now I need to replace.  If you are interested I can send you my led flasher bulbs in a week or two when I get my aftermarket turn signals in.  I'd have to see what shipping is of course, but I think that they would survive a trip in a small padded envelope via usps

With the cheap replacement LED's I assume you lose the running light function right? That is one reason I have not gone the LED turn signal route as not a lot of options out there have the dual LED's.

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, seven said:

With the cheap replacement LED's I assume you lose the running light function right? That is one reason I have not gone the LED turn signal route as not a lot of options out there have the dual LED's.

with the bulbs I bought, listed above, I did not lose running light function.  The picture shown above is the front running lights.

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 1 month later...

I recently upgraded my turn signals to LEDs by replacing the bulbs with Ebay Auxito brand LEDs, and it went smoothly, worked out well. Running lights worked, Blinkers blinked 'faster' so I picked up an inexpensive LED relay, also on Ebay, LF1-S-PIN, Max 150W marked on it, and the connector matched up perfectly. There is also a tab on the relay that fits nicely into the rubber boot that mounts the original relay, that I mounted upside down, as it was potted, and fit without crimping the lead wires coming off of the relay(to the left of the rectifier). The white blob on the right side is where I attached to the Aux connector, for my phone USB power and GPS.

1581786687_20210923_165026(2).thumb.jpg.b6971045adf00dbf028a09ff0c98069d.jpg

• Global Moderator
29 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

Is there any protest from CANBUS with non-resistor type LED bulbs?

Do the newer -07’s have CANBUS?  I know my 2015 does not, but I not familiar with the newer model features. 

Well, the diagnostic connector is described as CANBUS, but I don't know how accurate that is.

Stock R1 signals are clear lens LEDs and use the same mounting, but the connectors are different. Look for rears only as the fronts are flush mounts on the fairing. Wire colors match up, but be careful trimming the ends off to convert to FZ style wiring connectors as there are resistors soldered inline so the flasher relay doesn't spaz out. Since they're rears you lose the running lamps, but they're OEM quality, meaning bright and well finished. 

I scored two pair of eBay for $80 total with patience, otherwise they're expensive at $80/each from Yamaha. 

The rubber is stiffer on these so they flop around like the heavy pumpkins. As far as I know, the years to use are '15- current. I think MT-10 uses them as well. 

IMG_20210925_190037594.thumb.jpg.acc688ee2bf334a003a0a7191e78e071.jpg

Edited by shinyribs