The MT-07 Forum

Traxxion Dynamics AR25 vs Ohlins NIX-22

powman101

I just got back into riding after a 10 year break with kids and picked up a 2019 MT-07.  Fun bike but as you all know the suspension needs help.  I picked up a Penske 8900E shock (thanks mcbrien) but now need to deal with the front end.  My previous bike was a 2004 monster S4R with full ohlins and I spent a lot of time in the canons as well as a few tracks days so I want something that will handle well and I won't have to redo it again in a year.  After reading through the suspension posts I think I have narrowed it down to either Traxxion Dynamics AR25 vs Ohlins NIX-22.  I am about 200lbs and this bike will be 80% commuter and 20% canyon carver, no more track days for me.  Is the Ohlins cartridges kit worth the extra $400 for something that will only see canyon carving at the most?  The more I ready the more confused I get!

Well the Traxxion option you list is a damper rod/fluid/spring option as opposed to the Ohlins which is a true cartridge set up. Having said that, for the upgrade you describe, the AR25 could be the perfect option. It saves you money and once set up would be a very nice performing route. The Ohlins is more capable, more adjustable and easier to putz with but you pay for that luxury. I doubt the average rider could tell the difference. 

So I guess you have to decide whether to get what you need or what you want. 

😊

P.S. Hard Racing has the Ohlins for $650; Traxxion is around $400, hmm...

I don't have any experience with the Traxxion stuff. I have the Ohlins. Their recommend springs and clicker position are comfortable for real world riding. I don't do track days, live in a rural area with rough paved backroads. Ohlins took away the compression harshness. 

I'm 220 lbs and theit recommend springs put my front sag dead on the money with the preload wound all the way out. Traxxion may be better, I have no idea, but I don't have any complaints Nix22 kit as a daily rider setup. And I've got lots of clicker/preload adjustability in reserve if I need to firm things up.

• Like 1

So you got that shock.  I think it was a great buy.  I'd have jumped on it myself, except that I had already done the same for an Ohlins that was listed here.   Good on ya!

I did a lot of researching and the general advice was unless I was going racing or such a cartridge set was a bit of overkill.  Most said any of the known fork kits like the Traxxion kit would be great for general riding and for track days if I did them.  Some said they are fine for racing as well when doing it more recreational than full on trying to go pro.   Seems all did great with either the Traxxion (which I had considered) or doing the Race Tech emulators.  I took a shot, but haven't installed yet, the Matris set up, looks like they use shim stacks for both compression and rebound.  So I figured why not.  I'm not going racing, just want better performing front forks on my XSR.   If I hadn't done them it would have been the Traxxion.  Hopefully I won't regret it, certainly can't be worse than stock.

Thanks everyone.  I am leaning towards the AR25 as it seems to resolve 95% of the issues and realistically I probably don't need the full adjustability.  klx678 I was looking at the Matris kit as well as it looked to be a cheaper option than the Ohlins but I couldn't find it any cheaper.  Did you happen to find it at a decent price and where?  Thanks

If I remember right I got it on ebay.  Ran around  $350 in early 2021, gone up since then.  Check ebay using the kit number:   Matris FY125SE

They have another lower priced kit now, but not sure about it.  Looks like different valving set up.

Edited by klx678

For those who want to do it on the cheap, I went with Sonic fork springs with higher vis oil and a custom cut spacer on my 16 FZ-07. Pattonme did the work as he lives close. It was set-up for 200lbs with a mix of 90 and 95 springs, and the oil was a 50/50 blend of Maxima 10w and 15w fork oil. The spacer was cut from some form of plastic pipe.

The end result was way better than stock. Good enough that I feel no need to change it. The cost was around $100.

Probably PVC water pipe of the appropriate size.   

Whatever works.   I kind of wanted to play a bit myself.  If I was doing it now, with the higher price I'd probably do the Traxxis set up with a pair of low buck ebay preload adjustable caps.  Probably would be a good idea to do the low buck preloads even with your set up, after all, a bit of adjustability for low price since everything is apart at the time.

I initially fitted Cogent’s DDC emulator valves, they were a big improvement over the standard setup.

I started taking the bike to more track days, and upgraded to ohlins NIX-22 cartridges. The front end now feels incredibly planted, giving lots of confidence.

The cartridges gave the same level of improvement over the emulators, as the emulators did over the standard setup. Hope that makes sense.

On 8/21/2021 at 4:40 AM, powman101 said:

Fun bike but as you all know the suspension needs help.  I picked up a Penske 8900E shock (thanks mcbrien) but now need to deal with the front end.  

I was surprised at the difference in the front end after just fitting an aftermarket shock. The improved rear damping settles the front down a bit.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
cornerslider

@powerman101- I'm about you weight, put the AR-25 kit on my 07. I couldn't be happier with the results!!! I use it for 90% street, and 10% track. I had T.D. set it up the opposite way originally (90% TRACK, and 10% street). I have since acquired another track-only bike, and put my 07 back to street legal now. I does BOTH very well, and i'm not putzing around with adjustments all the time. the AR-25 kit comes complete with everything you need, and set-up for YOU, and your riding style. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the kit again- VERY satisfied!!!

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"