The MT-07 Forum

Wont Go in to 4th gear

Jacob strickland

Jacob strickland

I recently got into my first accident. Last oil change was less then 500 miles ago, and the bike has about 6400 miles on it . Bike went down on the shifter side. I just replaced the shift pedal and when I try to go in to 4th gear the shift indicator goes blank. I have tried adjusting the linkage and am out of ideas. Anyone?

1 hour ago, Jacob strickland said:

I recently got into my first accident. Last oil change was less then 500 miles ago, and the bike has about 6400 miles on it . Bike went down on the shifter side. I just replaced the shift pedal and when I try to go in to 4th gear the shift indicator goes blank. I have tried adjusting the linkage and am out of ideas. Anyone?

Post pics of the shifter side & linkages, something's funny. Something is binding or jacked. 

Does it go into 4th gear but the indicator is blank, or is it not going into 4th at all?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacob strickland said:

Is this when the bike is stationary or when you're riding it?

It's normal not to be able to change up all gears if the bike's not moving. 

Jacob strickland
45 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Post pics of the shifter side & linkages, something's funny. Something is binding or jacked. 

Does it go into 4th gear but the indicator is blank, or is it not going into 4th at all?

it doesn't go into 4th at all

image1 (1).jpeg

image0 (1).jpeg

Hmm, here's what I'd do for starters;

If you have or have access to a rear stand get the rear wheel off the ground in some fashion that allows you to sit beside the bike and carefully watch/listen/feel as you slowly run it thru the gears. Work the controls by hand both with the engine off and running at low rpm/speed. There must be a bind or a block someplace. Hopefully outside the motor and not inside.  

Sometimes a second set of eyes/ears can help spot the obvious or overlooked too.