The MT-07 Forum

Front sprocket cover

Julian

I need to clean my chain soon, and this time I would also like to clean the front sprocket thoroughly. I know that I need to get the shifter lever out of the way, but I haven't found any clear instructions. If I peel back the rubber cover pictured and undo that nut, it looks like I will then have access to remove sprocket cover, is that correct?

When I reaatach the shifter lever the same way, are there any adjustments needed or possible problems? Thanks. 

20210816_155313.jpg

20210816_155340.jpg

I'd take out the bolt that attaches the lever to the transmission shaft and pull the whole assembly out of the way.  Mark the transmission shaft at the split in the lever to you can get it back on in the same position without fiddling.

edit:  I see a faint line in the end of the shaft that lines up with the split, so it appears to be pre-marked for you.   :)

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

I'd take out the bolt that attaches the lever to the transmission shaft and pull the whole assembly out of the way.  Mark the transmission shaft at the split in the lever to you can get it back on in the same position without fiddling.

edit:  I see a faint line in the end of the shaft that lines up with the split, so it appears to be pre-marked for you.   :)

Jim, I did not understand a single word you said 😅 What is "the whole assembly" and why do I need to pull it out? I'm trying to keep things simple, won't undoing that nut do the job? 

There is one bolt that holds the black lever to the shaft that's coming out of the transmission.  If you remove that, you can move the assembly (rod, adjuster, lever, boot, etc.) out of the way, and it won't mess up any adjustments.

Absolutely agree, loosen and remove the clamp bolt holding the shifter on the splined shaft, then slide it off and swing it out of the way.  If there's no mark, get a sharpie and make one so you know exactly where it should slide back on the splined shaft.

image.png.0a3584f74e3b350a72cac85961fa13b9.png

If you're still confused, all you need to do is make a mark where the blue circle is (but it looks like it's already marked) and loosed the one bolt circled in red. Once you loosen that clamp bolt, the whole arm will slide off leaving you plenty of room to loosen the bolts holding the plastic sprocket cover on and remove it completely. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Julian said:

Thank you, does that bolt need to be tightened at a certain torque after, or use common sense? 

I'm sure there's a specific torque value if you search hard enough, but I just make sure it's tight and give it maybe an extra quarter turn. I haven't had any issues with it coming loose. 

You can get a feel for how tight it was from the factory as you crack it loose - it wasn't super tight to begin with.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
On 8/17/2021 at 12:40 AM, Julian said:

Thank you, does that bolt need to be tightened at a certain torque after, or use common sense? 

The manual says the shift arm pinch bolt torque value is 10 ft-lbs (but common sense should also work). 

• Like 1

I took out the lever assembly and put it back together without incident. I'm sure glad I did it, the plastic rail guide and the inside of the cover were absolutely filthy! If you haven't opened yours in a while maybe have a look  

20210823_212236.jpg

20210823_212757.jpg

Don't feel too bad... that's perfectly normal unless you clean it after every ride.  

• Like 1

Not sure without a closer look, but that sprocket looks about due for replacement, it's losing the symmetry of the U, hooking.  You may want to check how the rear and chain are.   Pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at the back (3:00 o'clock).  This is worn out:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFvnSBqNZyImKq2EHOu-R

this is  not:

Motorcycle-sprocket-check.jpg

9 minutes ago, klx678 said:

Not sure without a closer look, but that sprocket looks about due for replacement, it's losing the symmetry of the U, hooking.  You may want to check how the rear and chain are.   Pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at the back (3:00 o'clock).  

That's almost impossible, the bike is not even 6 months old. It must be an optic illusion. 

It's fine. Look at the bottom pic, it's straight on to the 3-6 o'clock portion of the teeth. 

Run the hell out of it.