The MT-07 Forum

Is the D ring Helmet Clasp Still the Best?

bornagainbiker

Drings are dirt cheap and foolproof. If I was a helmet manufacturer, in a world where everyone seems eager to sue, I'd use nothing but Drings. Profit and no worries. 

As a helmet user, give me a ratchet. Throw me a bone! A little luxury/convenience with my $500 lid would be nice, thank you!

I have some spare ratchets from old helmets that I recycle in to new lids that come with Drings.

Not that it matters, but his force measuring means is way inaccurate. He's measuring the force required to turn the screw, and the angles of the jack legs are constantly changing, so the leverage is also constantly changing. So, the force measured at the screw won't have any correspondence of force on the strap. Regardless, the higher the lift goes the more force that's being imparted, and you get a good look at failure points. So you still get an idea of which setup withstood more force, we just don't have any actual measurement of that force.

You also don't see if there's any loss of strength for the strap itself after being repeatedly pinched in the same area, over and over. Drings often form a dent in the strap and will nestle in to the same spot every time. Ratchet end doing the same as you set then in one area when new and further adjustments are done with the ratchet, so I assume strap wear should be pretty equal between the two in that regard. New school straps don't seem to get frayed up by slipping through Drings repeatedly like they used to. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 2