The MT-07 Forum

Best sprocket for daily diver and wheelies?

joshylife

Hey folks,  I'm trying to find a good sprocket combo for a lil more torque, but all the content i can find are these crazy stunt bros are using 60T  rear sprockets!  lol and you cant even go on the highway lol.   Im dyslexic af, ive tried to learn the sprocket science but I'm too dumb.   What is a good middle road sprocket for wheelies here and there but also allows you to do freeway speeds?  i dont want a full stunt bike. I use my bike to commute to work. a wheelie here an there i still wanna do.  I also don't wanna tac out at 75.   maybe a 53T rear?  and 15 in the front??? or something that will still allow you to get more torque for wheelies and also do totally fine on the freeway?   apologies if this is redundant i tried to use the search function but all i see is rly aggressive stunt gearing.  I'm just looking for a front and back combo thats not too crazy.  any help would be super appreciated.   oh btw i should mention I'm 6'2 and 225 my heavy-ness just holds me back a bit i feel like.

Drop one in front, up a couple/three out back. Any more and first gets useless. Still power up in 2 & 3, clutch ups in 4th and with a little bounce in 5th. Tops out around 95 - 100. There's no free lunch, give some - take some...

• Like 1

cool!   that sounds realistic and makes sense. stock is 16/43 correct?  so say 15/46 is a good combo is that a common set u can buy?     is there a good wallet friendly brand that makes a set?  

One tooth up front is roughly equal to three out back. It varies some witn the b exact math, but it'll get you close.

15/45 gearing (45 divided by 15)  would be exactly 1:3 ratio.

Reason I bring this up is front sprockets are cheap, rears can get pricey.  Rather than going down one tooth up front and up three in the rear you can go down 2 in the front and keep the stock rear for basically the same effect. For a 500 series chain like we have, you don't want to drop below 13 teeth up front. Any smaller and it's pretty rough on the chain. 

Honestly, these bikes already power wheelies easily 1st and 2nd. Just going down one tooth up front will probably be more effective than you might think. I have a +1 front sprocket I use for long highway trips. It's a pretty noticable effect in regards to ease of wheelieing between that and the stock sprocket. 

Probably have to experiment to see what feels best to you, and if any rubbing happens on related areas, so it's not as painful throwing away $20 fronts you don't like vs $50 rears. Plus, you might get away without needing a longer chain that way. 

• Like 2

Sprocket Center is dedicated to being the world's premium provider of...

I say down one / up a couple because you can usually get by with a stock length chain which saves some $ and messing around cutting and futzing w/chains. You'd only have to buy the sprockets assuming you're not fussy and your old chain is in good shape. 

I actually wanna do this because i need a new chain anyway lol.   figured id do the sprockets now.   should i do steel sprockets 15/45,46? and steel chain?     im hoping i could just find a kit and fire away and get it. On STG dot com  i was looking at this "driven" brand?     15/45 with the RK Max-X chain?   i have no idea if this is a good set or not there is zero info online other than promo stuff.

1 hour ago, joshylife said:

I'm trying to find a good sprocket combo for a lil more torque

There are several of us on this forum that swear by a 16/44 combo. It's amazing how much difference one tooth in the back makes. The cool thing is that it is still great on the highway.

FWIW, try that combo, and if it's not enough grunt for you, it won't cost much at all to switch to a 15 up front.

Check out this thread on the forum:

https://fz07.org/thread/13444/just-one-tooth/?tab=comments#comment-182545

Dennis.Halmstad

One down in front will get you around 300 more rpm at the same speed in the same gear.

So if you go 15/46 you will get 600-700 more rpm at the same gear and speed.

This will affect your highway cruising....

Also, lower gear aren't always better for wheelies. You will run out of gear more quickly.

I would say not to change the gearing to much, maybe down one in front or up one in the back like others are mentioning.

And practice more wheelies instead. Place yourself further back in the seat - go in 2nd and constant 30-40 km/h - close the throttle and then quickly twist it open and at the same time pull the handlebars. This will get you up there with stock gearing and no clutch abuse. 

• Like 1

ok im glad you said that.  16/44 is all i want.    my stock chain is 525 right?  all the 44T sprockets say 520 though?   will i need a new chain?  a 520 chain?

Edited by joshylife

1 hour ago, joshylife said:

all the 44T sprockets say 520 though?   will i need a new chain?  a 520 chain?

It's recommended that if you are changing both sprockets, you should change your chain. There is nothing special you need to do to switch to a 520 setup. Plus there are lot more high quality 520 chains available. Check with Paul at Bellissimoto to see what he can do for you. His discounts are usually pretty good. Just tell him you are a forum member.