The MT-07 Forum

New R7 in MotoAmerica

br4nd0n

Maybe some of you race guys can chime in because I cannot figure out why some of the riders/teams that were already running heavily modified FZ/MT-07's switched over to the new R7. To me I see no benefit when their current motorcycles had better specs and equipment. I also don't think it's a rule thing because a lot of them were rocking front-end swaps, custom sub-frames, custom airboxes, modified engines, etc.

I can see it being beneficial for someone who previously did not have a FZ/MT-07 because the R7 provides somethings out of the box. Other than that though, I really don't understand it.

I'm familiar with two guys running the new R7. Neither of them owned the previous bikes they were campaigning which is common at the professional level. Often when they change teams or situations or wad one up or wear one out or it's time for a new one they will change up.

Unlike club racers they try to be on something fresh/new if at all possible to be max competitive. They also wheel and deal all the time on new stuff with sponsors, dealerships, power sports outlets, teams, owners, race teams, manufacturers, anybody/anything they can to gain an edge.

I think I've done 9 MA Twins Cup event's. 6 with my bike as Blue Line Racing w/2 different riders. 1 on a loaner bike owned by someone else under my team name. 1 on a combination of mine/someone else's equipment under my team. Once under another teams banner as crew on his machine. 

• Like 1