The MT-07 Forum

Help, Clutch problem.

Drepikx

Hello there, I've been on this community not too long and wanted to introduce myself and ask you guys about a problem I'm having with my bike. So long story short I just got a 2015 fz07 since it was my dream bike. the thing is I got it off auction as a salvage title to save some money. I picked it up, and took it home on a trailer; once I got home I took it off the trailer and drove it like 50ft to my garage where I was going to work on it. And for those 50 ft it started up and drove perfectly fine. then i worked on it in my free time so it sat mostly undisturbed for the better part of two weeks. now that I finished with all the cosmetics i did an oil change as well as the oil filter and break fluid. wanted to start it up and take it around the block to finally have a little fun before getting the paperwork situated. and i go to start it, it starts perfectly like it should, but a soon as i go to put it into gear it stalls and lurches, and when i pull in the clutch lever while in gear the bike doesn't move at all. So my first train of thought was to check the clutch cable, i tightened it up to spec and it still doesn't work, so i tried moving the actuator rod with my hand without relying on the clutch lever or cable at all and it still has the same problem. I jacked the rear end and started the bike, put it into first gear and the rear wheel started spinning and and no amount of fiddling with the clutch lever, cable or rod did anything to make the clutch disengage(at least i think its disengage, pretty much it wont disconnect the engine from the wheel). so then i popped the clutch cover to make sure the friction disks weren't stuck together, I took them out and they looked worn, so I ordered a new clutch plate kit from Yamaha and used the manual to install it, put everything back together and the same problem exists and i don't know what else to do. nothing happened to the bike between the time i drove it for the first time till when i tried again and it didn't work, so now im all out of options and hoping one of you has the knowledge needed to help me out.

13 minutes ago, Drepikx said:

and i go to start it, it starts perfectly like it should, but a soon as i go to put it into gear it stalls and lurches, and when i pull in the clutch lever while in gear the bike doesn't move at all.

I'm not clear on what you mean here.  Lurching when you pull in the clutch lever and put it in gear indicates that the clutch has not fully disengaged.  Then you said that when you pull in the clutch lever (to the handlebar I assume) while in gear the bike doesn't move at all.  That's the way it should be until you let out the clutch lever.

Meaning that when the bike is on, it lurches forward when I put it into gear, but if it's off and I pull in the clutch lever while in first gear and try to roll the bike it doesn't budge

Oh OK... the clutch is not disengaging when you pull in the lever.  You need to see what's not working as it should.  With the clutch cover off you can watch to see if the pressure plate moves when you pull the lever, for example.  Can you feel the resistance of the clutch springs when you move the lever a little and the play is taken out?

A couple things. 

1st. Stop throwing parts at it and put down all tools. Sit down, take a breath.

If it's running and you try to put it in gear with the side stand down the motor will slam to a stop. It has a side stand interlock. 

2nd. Familiarize yourself with the clutch adjusting procedure. You undoubtedly have that jacked up. There are threads here on how to adjust it and get the clutch lever arm set right when you replace the clutch or mess around inside the clutch cover. Then set the clutch free play at the lever.

Take your time. Assume nothing. Skip nothing. Redo each step you made, one of them was a ef-up. If you keep wrenching and replacing parts you'll get into a hopelessly deep hole. 

These clutches are bomb proof but the replacement/adjustment procedures and techniques require a certain amount of experience and/or practice.

You'll get it.

1 hour ago, mossrider said:

A couple things. 

1st. Stop throwing parts at it and put down all tools. Sit down, take a breath.

If it's running and you try to put it in gear with the side stand down the motor will slam to a stop. It has a side stand interlock. 

2nd. Familiarize yourself with the clutch adjusting procedure. You undoubtedly have that jacked up. There are threads here on how to adjust it and get the clutch lever arm set right when you replace the clutch or mess around inside the clutch cover. Then set the clutch free play at the lever.

Take your time. Assume nothing. Skip nothing. Redo each step you made, one of them was a ef-up. If you keep wrenching and replacing parts you'll get into a hopelessly deep hole. 

These clutches are bomb proof but the replacement/adjustment procedures and techniques require a certain amount of experience and/or practice.

You'll get it.

Thank you, could you give me a link on how to properly adjust it, and I'm not planning on doing anything else to it except for trying to fix what i messed up.

I can add 10 pics from the service manual also but you said you have one. 

I'd almost bet you have the clutch cover installed with the clutch arm in the wrong position, it's easy to do. No amount of fiddling will fix it, you have to remove the cover and properly align it. See the video link in the first thread.