The MT-07 Forum

Road Trip advice

scat2me

I am planning to get out of town for a couple of weeks. I will be staying at motels or hotels. No campsites. I will be traveling as light as possible. I will be installing the Shrike mount saddle bags and a Madstad Windshield. I have a Cortech Super 2.0 Sport Tail Bag as well. I have a small toolkit and flash light. I have a Joe Rocket Waterproof jacket with armor as well as riding jeans with armour. . The bike only has 3000 miles. The tires are in great condition with only 1500 miles. All fluids have been changed, I would appreciate any suggestions on what "essential" things I may be missing, Thanks

• Like 1

A tire plug kit and a way to re-inflate.  I took the guts out of a small 12v compressor and carry that in my tail bag.

12v_compressor.jpg

Well, if they need an inflator, the sealant has failed and you need a way to patch the failure.   :)   

• Premium Member

A GPS alarm system so the bike will be easier  to find the next morning.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

That probably depends a lot on whether you're staying in big cities or small towns.  I've thought about this too and may get some type of alarm that will at least wake me up if the bike moves much.

Good on you for hitting the road! 

Take your time. Don't set ridged schedules. Take back roads. Enjoy everything, keep a smile on your face including if it rains. Try dead reckoning instead of maps or Google. Take side trips, get lost every day.

I have a half million miles onboard bikes all over North America and have never had one stolen. At hotels park in front by/under the portico or chained to a light post or whatever, check for security cameras and make use of them. Use the steering head lock so it can't be pushed off easily. 

Be positive, your bike will be fine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scat2me said:

Thanks...I needed that

No worries. 😉

We used to sit in the break room at work and watch Diners, Drive-ins and Dives to see where our next adventure would be. One Friday we saw the Great American Steakhouse featured in Amarillo Texas. 2 days later we rolled in from northern MN, 3 days later we rolled up at home. All dead reckoning, no maps, no gps, no phones. I figured if I can't find Texas I'm an idiot. 

We did the same to New Orleans to a seafood shack, to the Pacific northwest to wade in the ocean, to the Tail of the Dragon, Banff Canada, Moab Utah, Hell's Canyon, St Louis for bbq, Great Lakes Circle tour (both directions) you get the idea. 

Wife and I do at least 2 weeks a year to nowhere in particular, just jump on and ride. My wingman and I more than that. Never anything more than a change of clothes, a rain suit & sometimes a tent. If we need anything you can't swing a dead cat w/o hitting a Walmart. Only rule is no interstate.

Modern adventure. Have fun.

Sometimes we're idiots; IMG_20170819_185509279.thumb.jpg.315a8eb68e9b3d87079cec218d42f1f4.jpg

Beartooth Pass, a bit early 🤪

• Like 4

Grab a pack of earplugs for long jaunts. You might already use them or have another option you use, but wind noise on long trips is exhausting. Way more fun without the racket, and your attention levels stay up, too!

You probably want a way to keep your visor clean while away from home where your normal cleaning supplies are. You can buy eyeglasses cleaning wet wipes that come in individual packs. Like wet napkins, but they don't scratch or leave smears and streaks. Walmart, CVS,etc have them. A handful of those stashed here and there in random pockets ( luggage, pants, jacket) makes life easy. Never know when you'll ride through a random swarm of gnats. That really screws with your vision, especially with oncoming headlights. They also work good if you end up with muddy/slippery grips ( it happens) and you aren't close to water or some other way to wash random things. 

You might also consider grabbing a small, travel size can of chain lube, too. They're pricey compared to full size cans, but super nice for multi day trips.

I consider those must-haves for trips, otherwise just wing it. Travel light and grab what you need as the mood strikes. Though a container of water and a banana or two is not a bad idea if going somewhere remote. I live in the sticks and have had to walk miles to find help or phone signal before. I carry water and some spare calories everywhere I go 😉

Have fun, ride safe and enjoy your trip! 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 12:38 PM, scat2me said:

So your saying it will be stolen?

I've never had a bike stolen, but hotels/motels can sometimes be a target for bike thiefs. Chaining it to a light pole sure would make me feel better. Some guys request ground floor rooms and just push the bike inside the room for the night. That would make me feel a lot better! 

Go for it me (07 night fluo) and my girlfriend (07 raceblue) went for a 4 days trip in Portugal. Was really cool we just strapped a tailbag in passenger seat wit a bungee cord + a web and a backpack more than enough for 4 days and damm it was good

IMG_20210719_102952.jpg

• Like 5