The MT-07 Forum

MT-07 engine temperature

BruceWayne911

BruceWayne911

Is there a specific temperature I should watch out for when riding my MT-07? My bike routinely reaches as high as 200-230°(Fahrenheit). Is this normal or something I should watch for?

11 minutes ago, BruceWayne911 said:

Is there a specific temperature I should watch out for when riding my MT-07? My bike routinely reaches as high as 200-230°(Fahrenheit). Is this normal or something I should watch for?

You're good. Others will say they run here or there but you're within range. 

If a person wants to maximize their cooling system they can take a tiny pick and clean and align the radiators cooling fins, change to fresh coolant, make sure the hoses and cap are in good shape. 

• Like 1

BruceWayne911
2 hours ago, mossrider said:

You're good. Others will say they run here or there but you're within range. 

If a person wants to maximize their cooling system they can take a tiny pick and clean and align the radiators cooling fins, change to fresh coolant, make sure the hoses and cap are in good shape. 

What temperature would raise red flags for you?

The owner's manual says that if the engine temperature is too high, the red overtemp warning light comes on.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BruceWayne911 said:

What temperature would raise red flags for you?

>245°.

• Like 1

This graph may put your mind at ease a little.  It's one reason why I'm not jumping on the chance to make my fan come on earlier than Yamaha designed it to.

cyl_wall_wear_vs_temp_640x480.jpg

• Global Moderator
4 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

This graph may put your mind at ease a little.  It's one reason why I'm not jumping on the chance to make my fan come on earlier than Yamaha designed it to.

cyl_wall_wear_vs_temp_640x480.jpg

Continental primarily makes air cooled aircraft engines, so I assume the temperature in the graph is cylinder head temperature (most piston aircraft have a gauge for that) not coolant temperature.  I am not sure how closely coolant temperature relates to CHT, however I am not worried if the temperature rises while I am stopped or moving slowly as long as it does not go too high (which it never has). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

Continental primarily makes air cooled aircraft engines, so I assume the temperature in the graph is cylinder head temperature (most piston aircraft have a gauge for that) not coolant temperature.

This one allegedly came from GM and specifically says "cylinder wall temperature":

cylinder_wall_wear.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BruceWayne911 said:

I've also started turning the bike off when stopped in traffic to reduce high temps.

Consider this -

• while running coolant flows to the radiator and if it gets to a pre-determined temperature well below the critical level the fan will kick on. 
  • When the engine is shut off coolant doesn't flow, engine is still hot and not shedding any heat.  

Which makes sense?   

That is why there is a fan on the radiator.  To make it cool as if the bike is still moving at whatever speed the fan runs.   Much better.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

While moving unobstructed here in Vegas in 105°+ temps 178°-185°. While sitting in traffic 210° and thats why I refrain from riding in this insane heat.

57 minutes ago, FZWes said:

While moving unobstructed here in Vegas in 105°+ temps 178°-185°. While sitting in traffic 210° and thats why I refrain from riding in this insane heat.

210 is not a problem at all.

6 hours ago, FZWes said:

this ^^^

I think my fan kicks on at 220.  I'm not big on riding in triple digits with full gear on. 

16 hours ago, FZWes said:

210° is totally reasonable.  that isn't boiling temp yet and the whole reason for a pressurized cooling system is to raise the boiling point enabling coolant to keep drawing heat beyond 212°.  Fact too, is that coolants and antifreezes also raise the boiling point making 210° no problem.

But I think my own boiling point would be exceeded by 105° making me go search for a way to lower my temp when it gets over 90°. 😜