The MT-07 Forum

Tire pressure

Julian

I got my 2021 MT-07 from a Yamaha dealer 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I finally checked the tire pressure and it was quite a bit higher than recommended. According to the sticker on the frame it should be 33 psi on the front and 36 psi on the rear. I had about 40 on the front and 42 rear. Can there be any good reason for that? Is there a situation when that higher pressure is desirable? The tires were cold when I checked btw, 1 minute drive to the garage. Outside temperature 20C.

Do you guys stick to the recommended tire pressure or use something else?

Edited by Julian

I've been doing what the sticker says and haven't had any evidence that I need to deviate from that.  I weigh about 170 without gear though.  I'd expect that if carrying more load there could be reason to go a little higher.

• Like 1

Manufacturer recommended is the pressure they either designed and/or tested to be the best in general for the bike.   Higher pressure usually recommended for heavier loads.  Pressure on the sidewall of the tire is max recommended for the tire by the tire manufacturer.   This came from the Bridgestone seminar I attended, too.

Back in the 80s front tires on the cruisers were around 24-28 psi, likely because of the weight distribution versus that of the standard and sport bikes.   But that is just my opinion.

If I'm riding in the mountains I either start at 30 PSI or drop them down to 33/36 when warm.

40+ PSI will give you a rough ride.  Unless you are going for maximum MPG there is no need to go that high.

• Premium Member

Start at the recommended 33-36PSI  and adjust only if  needed in small 1-2 PSI increments if needed. 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 1 month later...

I keep my tires on both bikes at the manufacturers recommendations. Because of this I've gotten 22K mi from the rear tire on my FLHTK. My FZ right now has 10K+ mi on the factory rubber and there's still a few thousand left on there.                               I weight  250 lbs+ dressed, and bought her in Aug of 2020 with 3400 mi on the clock. I check the tire pressure the first week of every month.

Edited by FZWes
Spelling
  • Like 1