The MT-07 Forum

Want to take the FZ07 to a track day, but I'm worried the bike is too slow

TMTYWSH

Hello,

The bad news: With a top speed of 121 and front end wobble over 90 I'm a little worried that this bike isn't ready for the track and will never be.

The somewhat good news:  Close to me there is Summit Raceway which has 3 tracks; Summit main (bikes hit 150+ on the straight), Shenny, and Jefferson.

Jefferson used to be a go-cart track, and this is good news because it might be perfect for the FZ07.

So my question for you track day heroes is:

What have you done to improve your high speed handling?

And/or do you ride certain tracks only where the FZ07 will shine ?

What mods do you have for the track - Fairings? Gearing? Change the front wheel bearing? Windscreen? Suspension?

Now, considering the new R7 goes 140 and is probably stable at high speed; there has to be hope for the fz/mt's out there !

*current track day bike is a GSXR600, but I want to take the FZ07 to the track for a different experience.

Edited by TMTYWSH

I raced cars for many, many years. I never was the fastest guy on the track, but I had a helluva lot of fun. If you want to do it because you think you will enjoy it, just go run. If you're doing it to be the baddest guy out there, save your time, money and health.

It's not worth it just to be a hero to someone that doesn't even know who you are.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I track a 2016 FZ07 (still in naked-bike form). On the "big" tracks, it's a bit too small. I took mine to Road America this year. I was simply amazed at how much faster the big bikes were!!!! I could hang with everybody in the corners, but they blew me out of the water on the straights. I'm probably not going back to RA because of that. The difference in the closing speeds was really un-nerving (to me).... I stick to smaller, more technical tracks now.

That being said, at a minimum: upgrade the suspension. I run a K-Tech Razor "R" shock, and a Traxxion Dynamics AR-25 fork kit, and lowered the front end by 10mm. The FZ/MT-07 is a blast on a track!!!! It's sooo much easier to ride than a 600/supersport. No need for high-reving power, the 07's rely on torque, making them REALLY easy to ride well... Good luck-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

If you're getting front end wobble over 90, you should correct that before trying to go fast on a track.  I've had mine over 100 and it's steady as a rock. 

• Like 4

I ride faster than 100 mph regularly and never had any kind of wobble, don't even know what to do in case this happens.
I enter the freeway/Autobahn and braaaabraaabraaaaabraaa full flat out to 120 or something. But my neck is weak and windshield small,  can't hold the head up for a long time, the only reason to slow down  :D

• Like 1

I've only ever done 2 tracks days – one on my 2005 ZX-10R in 2006 and the other on my 2017 FZ07 in 2020. Both in Novice Class at VIR (Virginia International Raceway).

The ZX-10R was a brilliant bike. Perfect for the track. The FZ was fun, too, but overall I found riding it at the track to be a frustrating experience.

I have no trouble getting my knee down on the FZ and can corner pretty quickly, meaning I can hold my own in the turns. However, the supersports and superbikes could outrun me anytime we hit a long straight section. They would routinely blast past and jump in front of me as we approached a turn but then hit their brakes and slow WAY down to go through the corner. And since Novice riders are not allowed to pass in the turns, I had to slow down with them.

I don't mind getting passed but having to plod through turns was a drag and kind of defeated the point of going to the track.

An Advanced group rider told me that riders "parking it in the turns" is a common occurrence in Novice group. He promised it's much less of an issue once you get to the Intermediate and Advanced groups, so I guess that's a great incentive to try and get bumped up. Of course then I'd probably be slowing THEM down in the turns!

In regards to instability: I've never experienced any stability issues with my FZ at any speed and it's completely stock.

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
1 hour ago, D.A. said:

I've only ever done 2 tracks days – one on my 2005 ZX-10R in 2006 and the other on my 2017 FZ07 in 2020. Both in Novice Class at VIR (Virginia International Raceway).

The ZX-10R was a brilliant bike. Perfect for the track. The FZ was fun, too, but overall I found riding it at the track to be a frustrating experience.

I have no trouble getting my knee down on the FZ and can corner pretty quickly, meaning I can hold my own in the turns. However, the supersports and superbikes could outrun me anytime we hit a long straight section. They would routinely blast past and jump in front of me as we approached a turn but then hit their brakes and slow WAY down to go through the corner. And since Novice riders are not allowed to pass in the turns, I had to slow down with them.

I don't mind getting passed but having to plod through turns was a drag and kind of defeated the point of going to the track.

An Advanced group rider told me that riders "parking it in the turns" is a common occurrence in Novice group. He promised it's much less of an issue once you get to the Intermediate and Advanced groups, so I guess that's a great motivation to try and get bumped up. Of course then I'd probably be slowing THEM down in the turns!

In regards to instability: I've never experienced any stability issues with my FZ at any speed and it's completely stock.

I doubt you would be slowing anyone down in the corners.... I rode the intermediate group @ RA. In that group, you're allowed to pass on the straights, as well as the outside of corners. I only got passed (outside) in a corner once @ RA by a V4 Ducati. Later that day I was able to pass a BMW S1000RR on the outside of a corner. I do not say that to "brag", I'm saying the 07 really levels the playing field in a corner. On the big tracks, I've learned I don't really like the 07 much. Put it on a smaller, more technical track like Blackhawks Farms Raceway, and I can't imagine riding any other bike 😎.

To the original poster: If you pick your tracks, you will love the 07 on track-  as long you pick your tracks accordingly- or don't mind being passed on a straight with a 60 mph" closing speed" by someone that may/may not have the skills to be doing such a thing.... It made me  uncomfortable. I'm not a racer, and never will be. I'm a 52 year-old guy that enjoys lighting fuel on fire, and destroying tires (because its's fun 😃). At the end of the day, I have to go back to work on Monday morning. I like to manage risk, and choose the smaller/midsize tracks for track days. Hope that helps you out-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

3 hours ago, ElGonzales said:

I ride faster than 100 mph regularly and never had any kind of wobble, don't even know what to do in case this happens.

If something goes wrong and you find yourself in a high speed wobble, immediately put your chest on the gas tank.  If all goes well you'll stop the wobble and can slow down safely.  Then find out what caused it before you ride again!

• Like 2

When I first bought my 07, I took her on the interstate and let her rip. She got up to 113 mph. That was the only time I've done it. I ride 80-85 on the freeway and have no issues with her. Check your head bearing for proper torque value, air in your tires, and your wheel bearings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FZWes said:

When I first bought my 07, I took her on the interstate and let her rip. She got up to 113 mph. That was the only time I've done it. I ride 80-85 on the freeway and have no issues with her. Check your head bearing for proper torque value, air in your tires, and your wheel bearings.

Yes!  And add checking the swing arm for play too.

• 2 months later...

Top speed doesn't much matter overall, until you're in playing with the Advanced group anyway.

I've done 25+ trackdays on a KTM 690 Duke and loved it lots. It rides in many ways like an MT07, a bit weavy, a bit loose and a lot of fun. The fastest track i regularly go to is Silverstone GP, which is crazy fast, but it's just more of a challenge to try and outbrake the bigger bikes that have just passed you, hang onto them and stuff them into the corners... it's all part of the fun for me. I've tracked just about everything from R1s to GSXRs, Ducati race bikes, big 1000s and smaller capacity bikes.. they're all fun, just in different ways.

• Like 2

Maybe someone can speak to the high speed wobble but one thing I heard was it can be caused my gripping the bars too tightly. I had some wobble one day at the track but it was quite gusty out and it was also my very first track day so I can't say what the issue(s) really were. Talking to other riders they suggested to try and have a nice light grip on the bars and hold myself on the bike during hard acceleration with my legs as much as possible. I find it tough to do though and can't imagine what a true sportbike would be like trying to hold on at full throttle without a deathgrip on the bars. I am guessing that the more committed riding position might help in that scenario but who knows.

Tank grips have helped me at the track, particularly when the bike is leaned over for long corners.

The standard body work is pretty slippery where your knees and inside of legs make contact.

I've never experienced any weave or wobble at higher speeds (but I have aftermarket front & rear suspension fitted).

PXL_20210815_035109933.thumb.jpg.aa30260ae7e40e1d3a506e584fd35692.jpg