The MT-07 Forum

5d 46 error

cruzian3

Update: Well it most certainly was the stator.  I put in the new one today and all is good. 

Here's the back story. My son dropped my fz07 at a stop sign.  I turned off the engine within maybe 30 seconds.  Got the bike upright and then we continued riding.   

The bike died about 15 minutes later.   So we ended up bump starting it to get it home. 

I can't help but wonder if the drop had anything to do with the stator burning out like that or was is just a coincidence.   🤔

Anyway,  I appreciate all that posted.  Many thanks. 

20210806_153837.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the update.

The damage is obvious. I am wondering why the engine did not stop when the bike was dropped. There is a lean angle sensor beneath the seat that should turn of ignition in the moment the bike falls to the side less or more than 65° (prevents engine damage in case there's no more suckable oil supplied to all the bearing points)

The engine oil also cools down the windings of the stator, don't know how long it would take to toast the stator while the oil is in the wrong corner of the engine. It also depends on the RPMs, the more the the higher the induced power.

• Like 1

The stator is burned on one coil.  That's probably from a shorted turn (varnish failure).  If it overheated from lack of general oil cooling I'd expect the burned appearance to be more widespread.

• Like 1

Yeah, the concussion of the drop likely caused the stator insulating varnish to crack, then it's lights out from there.

Thanks for the update! Glad you got it fixed!

• Like 1

If something actually hit the coil I'd agree, but bolted to the engine under a cover like that I don't know how coil varnish could have been compromised by a stop sign drop.  My vote would be a flaw in the varnish, or a nick during winding.  Admittedly it's all guessing at this point.

• Like 2

I mis spoke.  The engine did stop.  I should've said I turned off the battery after the drop.

Also, the drop was on the brake side.  For those who don't know, the stator is on the clutch side. 

Who really knows for sure, but I learned a lot from this. 

I got a new battery, reg/rectifier, and stator.  Fresh oil. I just changed my spark plugs this morning.

I'm gong for a ride.   🏍🏍

FYI... to those who are gonna replace their stator for their first time...

1) don't forget to buy the cover gasket and take your time scraping off the old sealer.

2) when you take off the cover both the larger gear as well as the smaller gear will likely come with it.  But when you put it back on, put the smaller gear back in the bike first while leaving the larger gear on the cover.  Get all that ready to go before you put sealer on the new gasket or you'll feel rushed.  

This is coming from a noob.  Don't laugh you mechanics.

• Like 2

In the manual's diagram it looks  like the stator is bolted to the cover, and the rotor, large starter gear, and starter clutch are bolted to the crankshaft.  So how would the larger gear come off when the cover is removed?

Or do you have to remove that rotor (flywheel) bolt through the center of the cover before you can take off the cover?

Edit:  From that I can tell in the manual and in another thread here, you can take the cover off and the stator comes with it.  The starter drive parts can stay on the crankshaft.  It'll probably take a good tug to get the cover off, since the permanent magnets on the rotor will try to keep the stator near them.

Edited by Triple Jim

@Triple Jim just the 10 cover bolts need to be removed.  The stator is bolted to the cover.  I had to pull it with a little bit of force due to the magnetism.  The gears came with the cover.   But when I went to put the cover back on it wouldn't go back on because of how the smaller gear needs to be positioned. That has to go on first, then the cover mounts nice and smooth.  I should've taken pictures of the process.   sorry.

btw, the picture I posted above is the cover along with everything that came with it minus the 3 bolts that hold the stator on. 

No need to apologize, but I still don't understand how the large gear came off the crankshaft if the bolt was still installed in the end of the crank.

1 minute ago, cruzian3 said:

btw, the picture I posted above is the cover along with everything that came with it minus the 3 bolts that hold the stator on. 

Oh!  That "large gear"!  I thought you meant the big starter gear that's under the flywheel.  Thanks for clarifying.