The MT-07 Forum

Does my chain need cleaning?

Julian

On 9/17/2021 at 5:35 AM, 00RAH said:

Rear stand, Nail brush, wd40, nail brush, folded paper towel, wd40.

Time required: 3 min

(Kerosene ate my chain guide thing)

WD-40 might penetrate the seals as proven by the FortNine video, and is not a good chain lube as proven by multiple other videos. It's not cheap either so I would personally not use it. I clean with a specializwed chain cleaner and lube with gear oil atm with good success.

Edited by Julian

On 9/16/2021 at 11:35 PM, 00RAH said:

(Kerosene ate my chain guide thing)

The rubbery chain slider? Kero hasn't hurt mine, but the sliders are kinda junky. Mine was, anyway. 

Did your slider end up curved? 

I cant remember specifically if it was curved but it had multiple grooves in it and the space near the top swingarm hook had completely worn down and was scraping paint off the swingarm. Since ordering the new one ive switched off kero.

(This might have been caused by bad chain alignment) but i blame the kerosene.

Also if i leave kerosene in a spray bottle the bottle wont spray next time i wanna use it.

Edited by 00RAH

• 4 weeks later...

In regard to chain adjustment, cleaning, and lube, ...I suppose everybody has noticed that it's a pain in the butt without a center stand. Adjustment, O.K., not ideal but possible, but cleaning and lubing without being able to spin the wheel-- impossible. Do you guys all have axle stands or some other way to get the rear wheel off the floor?

16 hours ago, Vestal James said:

In regard to chain adjustment, cleaning, and lube, ...I suppose everybody has noticed that it's a pain in the butt without a center stand. Adjustment, O.K., not ideal but possible, but cleaning and lubing without being able to spin the wheel-- impossible. Do you guys all have axle stands or some other way to get the rear wheel off the floor?

Rear stands are just so useful that I consider them a must. For what they cost ( as cheap as $40) I just consider them a maintenance thing. Every bike gets spools, even most of the dual sports/ dirt bikes. 

One rear stand will do all the bikes vs paying much more to put center stands on individual bikes.

Edited by shinyribs

O.K. Shiny, you make a reasonable case; do you have any particular recommendation for a stand? Since the MT-07 isn't equipped with spool mounting points, where would they be installed and how does one go about it? 

1 hour ago, PMT-07 said:

Do you guys clean it on a side stand?

Using DuPont Chainsaver, which is a non-sticky wax, there really isn't much need to clean the chain.  I live at the end of a dirt/gravel road, and when I used various typical chain lubes the dirt and lube quickly created grinding compound.  Since I've been using Chainsaver for the last couple years there has been  minimal crud on my chains.

24 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

Using DuPont Chainsaver, which is a non-sticky wax, there really isn't much need to clean the chain.  I live at the end of a dirt/gravel road, and when I used various typical chain lubes the dirt and lube quickly created grinding compound.  Since I've been using Chainsaver for the last couple years there has been  minimal crud on my chains.

Is this the one?

85F51661-390C-452F-A1CD-2C974E8D75A9.jpeg

10 minutes ago, PMT-07 said:

Is this the one?

Yes, that's it.  Shop around, because it comes in various sizes and prices.  I think the 11 oz. can was the best price/oz. last time I bought it, even though there are larger cans.