The MT-07 Forum

HJC F70, RPHA 70, I70 Helmets Compared

Julian

For anyone in the market for a new helmet, or owning one of these, here is a clear comparison that you won't find anywhere else. After trying on various brands at the store HJC fit my head shape best, while also ticking all the boxes. These 3 models spread over the entire HJC range, from budget to high(er) end. I70 is the more basic model made of polycarbonate, F70 is made of fiberglass and RPHA 70 of "composite matrix" with fiberglass, carbon and who knows what else.

Shell size: RPHA70 < I-70 < F-70

Liner thickness: I-70 (7mm) < RPHA 70 (12mm) < F70 (15mm) in size M

Weight: RPHA 70 (1400g) < F70 (1460g) < I70 (1490g) in size M

Release date: RPHA 70 (2017)< I70 (2019) < F70 (2020)

Visor size: RPHA 70 < I70 < F70 

Visor mechanism: I70 (rough) < RPHA 70 (smooth with no stop, doesn't go all the way in) < F70 (smooth with stop)

Ventilation: Subjective, but the F70 is clearly superior to the other two. It has two separate chin vents that you actually feel, the chin vents on the other two are small and don't seem to do anything.

Safety:  RPHA 70 (***) < I70 (****) in the SHARP test, F70 hasn't been tested yet

Price:  I70 (169 CHF)< F70 (239 CHF) < RPHA 70 (340 CHF) at the time of the review

I chose the F70 which for me is the most advanced one, with its large field of vision, plush and roomy interior and effective ventilation. I70 in comparison was more cramped, with the sun visor touching the bridge of my nose when brought down quickly, and the rubber breath guard occasionally touching the tip of my nose when moving. I liked the compact size and light weight of the RPHA 70, but it's clearly dated and in need of an upgrade. I70 gets a special mention for a great build with stellar safety rating at a budget price.

HJC RPHA 70.jpg

HJC F70.jpg

HJC i70.jpg

Edited by Julian