The MT-07 Forum

2018 MT-07 clutch plate replacement: step by step

SquidLyfe

1) contents of the OEM Yamaha clutch kit : 7 friction plates, 6 steel plates, replacement springs, replacement gasket
2) Open and soak the clutch plates in 10w40 (same oil as the MT-07 engine oil) anywhere from 1-12hrs. Even just while prepping and removing the old plates.
3) drain the coolant as you'll be removing the water pump.
4) drain the oil although not necessary it's recommended to remove any potential debris if your clutch has "grenaded". Alternately, if you choose not to change the oil then tip the bIke to the left side, draining the oil from the clutch. There very well may still be oil in some nooks and crannies so be sure to put down some cardboard or something to prevent a messing the floor.
5) remove the 3 bolts holding the water pump housing in place and make sure it's fully drained. You do not want anything getting into the clutch area and making it's way into the transmission or engine.
6) remove the clutch cover bolts in a criss cross pattern until they are all able to be turned by finger. Find a piece of cardboard or paper to organize the bolts in a way that you remember where they go when you put it back together
7) make sure you get all of the gasket material off the mating surface and make sure that the surface is clean for when you apply the new gasket
8) remove the clutch cover, making sure not to lose any dowel posts. I suggest that you locate the dowel posts and put them in the engine side instead of leaving them in the clutch cover side, this will make setting the new gasket correctly easier when you're ready to put everything back together.
9) now with all that done you should be looking at the outer piece of the clutch basket or pressure plate. You will see the springs and should be able to see the plates around the edge of the basket. Before removing the springs and pressure plate make sure to inspect the area. Look for and take note of any debris, metal shavings, pieces of clutch, or visible damage.
10) remove the springs by loosening them in a criss cross pattern and place the pieces holding the springs on your cardboard diagram. Replace the springs even if the old ones look fine.
11) remove the pressure plate
12) carefully remove each of the clutch plates setting them off to the side in the order they came out in order to put the new ones in in the correct order.
13) carefully inspect each plate for damage, inspect the friction plates for uneven or excessive wear, and the steel plates for warping or blueing from excessive heat.
14) with all the plates out inspect the basket for signs of damage especially along the "towers". Make sure there is no debris inside the basket if you found any damaged or cracked plates.
15) if everything looks fine insert the new plates in the order you removed the old ones
16) replaces the pressure plate and replace the old springs with the new ones from the kit
17) tighten the new springs to spec
18) wipe down the mating surface on both sides and set the new gasket against the engine side using the dowels to hold it in place
19) carefully place the clutch cover on the dowels, make sure the gasket is not getting pinched anywhere, and return the bolts finger tight
20) in a criss cross pattern tighten the clutch cover bolts to spec
21) return the water pump assy cover and put the 3 bolts back in, tightening to finger tight
22) tighten the 3 bolts to spec
23) reset the clutch cable and spring
24) feel lever making sure it feels right
25) refill the coolant. burping as needed (see MT-07 coolant flush)
26) refill oil and replace filter if removed (see MT-07 oil change)
27) start bike
28) ride hard and wheelies
29) repeat 

Will update with pics in the next few days 

Let me know if I forgot anything or made any mistakes pls.

Thanks, squidlyfe

• Like 2

This might help some with getting the clutch set properly on reassembly.

Quick and dirty but it can be a pain the first time. 

• Like 5

glad i watched this before i got there. will definitely include in my poor attempt at a video tutorial. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

On step 15, when putting the last plate on, isn't there something you need to pay attention to?  It's been a while since I did it so I forget now but I wanna say the last plate is not aligned the same way as the other plates.

1 minute ago, cruzian3 said:

On step 15, when putting the last plate on, isn't there something you need to pay attention to?  It's been a while since I did it so I forget now but I wanna say the last plate is not aligned the same way as the other plates.

It's put in one tab off (clocked) from the rest of them.