The MT-07 Forum

How much do you pay for Period Maintenance service?

GoldenMT07

I just took my 21 MT07 for its initial service. I paid $330 in Denver, CO. Does that sound like a reasonable price? I don’t mind paying more for dealer service, but I just don’t want to get ripped off.

That's about the going rate (assuming they do all they say and don't just bill it out). Some won't pay it, others don't mind. A horse a piece.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I paid around $400 for my initial service on my first bike 20 years ago.  Warranty may be a factor in your decision to have the Dealership do the initial service. 

That aside, there's something to be said about wrenching on your own bike.   

For me, it started off as not wanting to get ripped off.  Then saving money became an issue.   Over the years I found that not all service mechanics treated your bike equally.  Then as summer rolls around, time played a factor because now they had my bike for a month and I used it for commuting.  Now I do it because the nearest Yamaha Dealership is over an hour away.  

This forum has built up a rich knowledge base from chain maintenance to fork oil replacement to valve checks / adjustment all specific to this awesome bike.  

And if it ain't here, just ask.  Tons of expert advice served with no judgment and all free.  A few months I was rolling down the freeway when my engine cut out and I luckily coasted off the next exit and right into a gas station.  While waiting for the wife to bring out the uhaul motorcycle trailer and macking on some street tacos I decided to inquire on this forum for possible causes.  I had great advice boom just like that.  It turned out to be my fuel pump.  A quick look at the service manual to see if was up to the task, a click on ebay for a used fuel pump off a wrecked 2016 fz07 with 2000 miles, and a long 5 days of patiently waiting for it to arrive, I swapped it out and back on the road in no time.  

Long story long, between this forum, the service manual and youtube,  learning to wrench on your own bike is made easy and has many rewards and very satisfying.

If for nothing else, keep in mind that mechanics don't get paid to clean your bike.  So think twice if you think they'll scrape all that grease and grime off that collects in front of the front sprocket when it's time to replace chain and sprockets. You can't see it but it's there.  🤔 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cruzian3 said:

Warranty may be a factor in your decision to have the Dealership do the initial service. 

In the US, a warranty is not allowed to be dependent on having a dealer or particular shop do the service.  If the owner does the work he/she needs to keep a record so there is some proof the work was done.

3 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

In the US, a warranty is not allowed to be dependent on having a dealer or particular shop do the service.  If the owner does the work he/she needs to keep a record so there is some proof the work was done.

I don’t have it in writing, but the words I recall were … “Be sure to bring your bike in for the first service or you’ll void your Warranty”.  So not only did they lie to me but they charged me four bills for an oil change. 

29 minutes ago, cruzian3 said:

So not only did they lie to me but they charged me four bills for an oil change. 

I don't know what  they actually did, but there are quite a few things that *should* have been done in addition to the oil change.   Some are a little silly, but checking and adjusting throttle body synchronization does take some time to do, and even adjusting the chain takes a few minutes.