The MT-07 Forum

2021 MT-07 New Rider Checklist

Julian

Hi everyone. New rider here, looking for some advice. I found a good deal on a 4 months old 2021 model which is great, because new ones are impossible to get right now, at least in Europe. The previous owner slid at 50 km/h and damaged/scratched a lot of small things on the left side - turn signals, clutch handle, engine cover, foot rest from the top of my head. The repair was carried out by an Yamaha dealeship shop, they replaced all the parts and they assured me that there wasn't anything serious and that the bike will be as new when leaving the shop. They also changed the oil. 

I should be able to pick up the bike in 1-2 days and the dealership is quite far from where I live, I will be riding it back 230 km. As it would be very hard to take it back to the same dealership if there was a problem, I want to make sure that everything is in order before I ride away.

What would you say are the most important things to check and questions to ask, both in light of the repair and as a new owner?

As far as I know the rear shock has preload and damping adjustment, what are the recommended settings to start with? I weigh 75 kg without gear.

Any must have accessories? So far I ordered frame sliders and a small windscreen. The bike has factory warranty until 2024 so nothing that would void the warranty.

If it's a authorized dealer replacing all the parts, I wouldn't worry about it...but money talks, all depends on how much they are asking for it. I'd say go for it if everything is fixed considering it's still under factory warranty and depending on where in Europe you are, most dealers have to give warranty on work done too. Even if you don't take it back to that dealer, the factory warranty will cover you almost anywhere in the world.

Things to ask for? I would ask if they checked the frame for damage/bend/cracks, other than that, 4 months old? I don't think you would have to worry about it, unless the previous owner put a million km on it. 

For the rear shock, I'd ride the bike for a couple of days first and see play with the settings and see which one you're most comfortable with. I'm a guy who doesn't really mess with it unless I go on a longer trip with luggage and passenger, the factory setting is comfortable for me.

The frame sliders are a great idea, I'm looking at some for my FZ too, I think those are a must have. Other accessories? Whatever you like and can afford. I'm sure people will tell you to get a slip-on, fender eliminator, led blinkers, head and taillight, bar end mirrors and so on...me personally? My bikes are always as close to stock as possible, I just don't like any aftermarket "tuning" parts. It really is up to you. Hope you get it and if you do, don't forget to share. 🙂

I agree... don't add accessories or make modifications until you've ridden it for a few thousand miles.  Then you'll know if there's anything you think needs to be changed.   Welcome to the board, good luck and keep us posted!

• Like 1

Thanks, the documents are on their way to me and I should be able to register it tomorrow. I paid 6500 for it, it's 7800 new. It already asked for the frame and steering and they said no problems. 

Regarding the shock, I don't know what the factory settings are or if the previous owner messed with them which is why I'm asking what a good baseline is before I ride it for the first time. 

The 2021 already has LED everything so not much to do there. I also value handling over looks so I'd probably invest in springs and things like that before cosmetics. 

43 minutes ago, Julian said:

Regarding the shock, I don't know what the factory settings are or if the previous owner messed with them which is why I'm asking what a good baseline is before I ride it for the first time.

About 25-30mm static sag with you sitting on it in your gear should be in the ballpark, measured between the rear axle and something solid above it. 

• Thanks 1

Hey guys I got the bike, here are some quick picks after the 300km ride back home 😅 I'll clean it up and take some better ones tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I like it! The bike is really nimble yet very stable at high speed. I went up to 130 km/h with confidence. I also like the adjustable clutch and brake levers. What I didn't like:

- Acceleration and deceleration are really jerky in 1st and 2nd. I try to accelerate slowly and smoothly but it feels that nothing happens at first then it suddenly lurches forward. Same when I cut the gas to shift, I'm getting a sudden engine brake in 1st and 2nd 

- The seat comfort is pretty horrible and my butt was all cramped. It was the worst aspect of the long drive

- After driving 1h in 6th and pulling at a highway stop, it wouldn't go into N from a stop. I tried a lot of times, rocked it back and forth etc and it just skipped N it was really frustrating. Same when I got home at the end of the trip. I tried again later after the bike had been siting and it went in and out N easily no problem. Maybe it had something to do with the bike being hot? 

I noticed that too, throttle response from stop to go is really bad and so is the jerkiness, I think a ECU flash can take care of some of it. There is a guy here who flashes the ECU (2wheeldynowork). Good price but probably not for you since shipping would be too expensive, but you may want to check if there is someone in your area. I am thinking about getting it done too, just don't have the change for it yet.

I actually don't mind the stock seat, it works for me, but I really didn't like the aftermarket seat my bike came with.

No idea about the N, I haven't had any issues so far, maybe it was because of the long trip?! Maybe someone else here had the same issue before and can help point you in the right direction. What's the mileage on the bike?

Maybe the crash from the previous owner did a little more damage than just cosmetics? Considering he slid on the left hand side where the shifter sits, the impact could've misaligned something? I'm no mechanic by any means, but I had a friend who dropped his bike on the left hand side before and he started having issues with the neutral after, nothing major and he didn't fix it, just learned how to deal with it. 

I would probably just ride it a little more and see if it changes, chances are it really was because of the long distance in 6th?!

20 hours ago, Julian said:

After driving 1h in 6th and pulling at a highway stop, it wouldn't go into N from a stop. I tried a lot of times, rocked it back and forth etc and it just skipped N it was really frustrating. Same when I got home at the end of the trip. I tried again later after the bike had been siting and it went in and out N easily no problem. Maybe it had something to do with the bike being hot? 

It can be a bit tricky sometimes finding neutral.

Try revving the engine slightly (2000 revs) as you go to shift into N next time.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 7:07 AM, stickshift said:

It can be a bit tricky sometimes finding neutral.

Try revving the engine slightly (2000 revs) as you go to shift into N next time.

Thanks for the tip, I will try it next time. In city stop and go traffic it doesn't happen, only after driving longer at higher speeds from what I can tell. 

On 7/22/2021 at 7:07 AM, stickshift said:

I tried that and it actually works, thanks again. So is there a chance something is misaligned with my bike or should I conclude it's perfectly normal?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Julian said:

I tried that and it actually works, thanks again. So is there a chance something is misaligned with my bike or should I conclude it's perfectly normal?

I think it's perfectly normal. I've owned other models of motorcycles that were far harder to get into neutral than the 07.

My gearbox did work a little better with increased mileage.

$30 wind screen from aliexpress, took 2 weeks to arrive. I think it looks good and the key is no longer fully exposed. 

20210728_141015.jpg

20210728_141034.jpg

On 7/28/2021 at 10:12 PM, Julian said:

$30 wind screen from aliexpress, took 2 weeks to arrive. I think it looks good and the key is no longer fully exposed. 

That looks pretty good.

I occasionally used the space behind the screen to stow a couple of sandwiches when I rode to work 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
nozeitgeist1800

corbin saddle or i think bagster is a think in europe? i just got a corbin saddle for mine and it is sex on wheels. combined with new exhaust and tune from 2wdw and it makes the bike exactly what i wanted out of it. also, for the ecu, you can install a flash kit (easy, even i got it right) and then 2wdw emails you a map, no shipping your ecu out. easy peasy lemon squeezy. the ecu flash will remove a lot of the jerkiness as well, but if it isnt something you can live with, g2 ergonomics sells a throttle tamer for mt07. i bought one when i first got my mt07 but ended up throwing it in a box somewhere and buying a r6 throttle tube (completely opposite direction from the throttle tamer) because i found i like the torquiness after i got used to it

Edited by nozeitgeist1800
added more info

I got the Yamaha comfort seat , just sitting on it in the showroom I knew the standard seat was gonna be no good . Rode for 2 hours on the comfort seat no issues. Bagster  are available from louis moto in Europe or I have made custom gel seats before for previous bikes.

On 8/30/2021 at 8:04 AM, nozeitgeist1800 said:

corbin saddle or i think bagster is a think in europe? i just got a corbin saddle for mine and it is sex on wheels. combined with new exhaust and tune from 2wdw and it makes the bike exactly what i wanted out of it. also, for the ecu, you can install a flash kit (easy, even i got it right) and then 2wdw emails you a map, no shipping your ecu out. easy peasy lemon squeezy. the ecu flash will remove a lot of the jerkiness as well, but if it isnt something you can live with, g2 ergonomics sells a throttle tamer for mt07. i bought one when i first got my mt07 but ended up throwing it in a box somewhere and buying a r6 throttle tube (completely opposite direction from the throttle tamer) because i found i like the torquiness after i got used to it

The Corbin seat is insanely expensive in Europe, like 900 EUR. 

16 hours ago, Davey666 said:

I got the Yamaha comfort seat , just sitting on it in the showroom I knew the standard seat was gonna be no good . Rode for 2 hours on the comfort seat no issues. Bagster  are available from louis moto in Europe or I have made custom gel seats before for previous bikes.

Thank you for that, I just checked and apparently the bagster is not compatible with the 2021 model 😕