The MT-07 Forum

Rusted headers ends

Bartolololo

Bartolololo

Hello all. I'm new here so greetings.

I want to made a mod which make stock exhaust sound good (Removing cat, put perforated pipe inside), guy in my country do this. On yt you can check sound using phrase "edhaust"

I don't want to do this on my own exhaust and I want to buy another on cheap. I want to keep mine stock.

And here is problem that offer I got is a exhaust with rusted ends on headers. Could someone told me if I remove the rust and use later Cooper antisieze it prevents from rusting? Or it is, let me say, chrome type of material (not polished steel) and once rusted it will come back? In attachment the pictures.

Thanks for replies in advance.

received_1028626421277566.jpeg

received_339732601101516.jpeg

received_510495953502629.jpeg

received_509935250114056.jpeg

Edited by Bartolololo
Editing gramatics.

In the US, stock exhaust systems are not hard to find and aren't usually expensive, since so many people take them off to put aftermarket systems on before they've gone 100 miles.  Can't you find one where you are that is in better condition?  If I had to use that one I'd sand off the rust and spray some header paint (BBQ grill paint) on the rusty part.  Looking at the whole system I might paint the whole thing flat black.

Welcome to the board, Bartolololo!

Edited by Triple Jim

Welcome to the forum.

You can clean that up with some emery cloth or steel wool. When it's installed you'll never notice it was once rusted.

Bartolololo

For sure, whole exhaust is in good condition, despite this element. 

I wondered if it is only temporary thing, and once cleaned will be good as other stock without rust. Or it is some kind of surface, chrome, and once polished will be never the same, and the same more prone to rust.

It'll be just fine. Nothing is ever the same. With use and the passage of time everything wears out, ages, discolors, corrodes, deforms or whatever. Who cares, it's called patina or character.

Reusing or repurposing parts is a great way to learn skills, gain knowledge, enjoy this sport and create something to be proud of. 

Get after it and post your results.

Dave

Bartolololo

Hi,

All I can do with steel wool and high grade sandpaper is what you can see on pictures. Surface is even, but dark, not perfectly even, not shiny as polished near areas. To achieve perfection here, probably I should use some electric tool and remove some thickness of wall. The same chrome will be totally removed.

To have comparison on last picture there is original exhaust from my MT which have 3800km and was stored in good condition. Took out from bike two days ago, as you can see metal is overheated and discolored (I read that cause higher prone to rust). Additionally it is visible that even on my exhaust with little km on it the chrome chiped out on flange.

I suppose that exhaust I got, was stored in less dry conditions, or bike was used frequently during the rain.

Probably it is not best design, I can imagine how those headers can look in 10 years.

@Triple Jim thanks, maybe it was good idea to take some oem exhaust in good condition but the price here in Poland is about 150-180$, and I got this not pretty one for 50$. Now I will send it to guy who will made the mod, as I'm not familiar with welding at all. He takes from me 150$, so at the end I will have not bad sounding exhaust for 200$, I hope 😁

As a example of other possibilities: local brand Dominator has full system but it cost 360$ and I had possibility to hear it on MT09 and even with db killer was to loud to me. 

After mod, I will try to share with you the results.

20210714_003430~2.jpg

20210714_003451~2.jpg

20210714_003837~2.jpg

Edited by Bartolololo
  • Like 1

I don't think you'll have any problem with the seal to the head.  Good luck with the project!