The MT-07 Forum

Bike Riding Stance | Goofy vs Regular Riding

00RAH

I prefer left hand corners (I believe you will find that is common). Right foot.

• Like 1

Just do it! 

For motorcycle riding I practice turns to be sure I'm equally good at both.  I mainly do this on a kart (supermoto) track.  For water skiing in a slalom course, my left foot is forward and my "good side" turn is my left turn (right side of the course).  Most skiers are right foot forward, with their strong turn being a right turn.

Funny story, Ben Bostrom won the Italian Superbike race one year.  When asked how he did it, he, being a flat track racer in earlier times, said there were more left hand turns.  The following year the course had been reversed to have more right handers.  True or not, I can't find verification, it may have been in the comments before the races that were broadcast with Bostrom as a commentator.

OP are you a skater or surfer...  goofy?

Edited by klx678

I'm much more at home with right hand corners. By left hand corners I find it more difficult to stay on best track: not too far left/right. 

Just wondered because of the term in the title.  

Most riders, for whatever reason, are more comfortable turning left, in the U.S.  One reason if you think about it, driving on the right makes all lefts a bit bigger radius than a right turn on the same corner.    Virtually all circle track racing here is counterclockwise, but I think that's almost universal - ie. running track races.

Possibly someone here may comment about this in the UK where driving is on the left, maybe they are more comfortable with right turns.  Since you didn't put in your country of location I have no idea where you are at or the driving.

• Like 1

I prefer right handers. If I go wide there's the chance I'll just drift in to the other lane a bit. That's admittedly sketchy, but if I go wide on a left hander then I'm sending it off the side of a mountain. 

• Premium Member

My rear tyre says I prefer left turns, the thing is I hang off the bike way more in right-handers. I've no idea why i do it differently I try to put more effort into getting off the bike more in left-handers, but I guess its lack of coaching along with bad habits!! I dunno! 

• 1 year later...
On 7/12/2021 at 3:23 PM, scat2me said:

I grew up in a geodesic dome. Whenever I misbehaved I was told to sit in the corner.  I'm still not well.

Must be from them Dutch Folk, Hex Signs, and Round Barns.  LOL
image.png.a847b10fc5619c9fe991693a2cc3dad3.pngimage.png.3e42e6617affff792d4a69ccfa1c9c46.png

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]