The MT-07 Forum

Metallic Rattle in front end

NickColasacco

NickColasacco

Hey y'all - hoping I can find some answers here. My FZ just hit 3300 miles and I started to notice a slight rattle, metallic sound under acceleration around 5-6k rpm in the front end of the bike. Sounds like keys rattling, or a metal clip/bolt is shaking. It is definitely not the chain. I have heard others say in forums that it is the clip in the headlamp, or even a loose washer that connects the shifter shaft. I have gone around and tightened all the bolts and screws, removed my key chain, removed the quad lock, etc and cant find where this is coming from - its driving me crazy. Definitely does not sound like anything mechanical. I hear it the most in 2nd and 3rd gear under acceleration. It is also not the valve tapping that everyone references, I know what that sound is. I was wondering if anyone out there has had a similar sound, and has figured out what is causing it. If  there are any suggestions for me to consider or rule out, please do let me know.

Thanks in advance! 

Any accessories or modifications to the bike?

Perhaps a video/audio clip?

Have you tried revving it to that rpm in the garage to recreate the sound?

...thinking...

NickColasacco

Some basic aesthetic mods. Windscreen, led headlight on the front end, but have had them installed for months with no rattle. I read in another forum that the metal clamp that locks in the headlight bulb can rattle, but before taking the front end apart I figured I’d see if anyone had the solution. 

That's a definite possibility. Something very well could have loosened up with use. Like any machine there are different sounds/vibrations for different rpm/loads.

Everyone here gets sick of me saying; 

Take your time. It's usually something simple. Don't skip anything. Be through and systematic. Recheck everything, again. Put in the work. Have plenty of beer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
12 hours ago, mossrider said:

Take your time. It's usually something simple. Don't skip anything. Be through and systematic. Recheck everything, again. Put in the work. Have plenty of beer. 

Truer words were never spoken, especially the beer part. 😆

• Like 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• 5 months later...

I hear this on mine too, by any chance do you have the stock reflectors on the front wheels? I had to put mine back on for inspection purposes and it started after I put them on. Check those if so.