The MT-07 Forum

Re-install stock exhaust

Hakalak

Hello

just bought a fz-07 2015 with a black widow mufller on it. Great sound but way to noisy for me.

i tried to re-install the stock one this week end but somehow the exhaust flange doe not align with the cylinder head bolt for few mms so i cannot fix it.

i did not want to force to move the bolt slightly to the right to be afraid of damaging it. Any tip or idea ?

968A899C-8F2C-4162-80AA-240957E79357.jpeg

bartman5impson

Did you tighten other bolts? If so you should loosen them up first and only torque them down after every bolt is lined up and in place.

Triple Jim

I assume both of the bolts have the same problem.  It's not unusual for pipes like this to be sprung a little from the perfect position.   If you can mount one of the flanges but leave its bolts slightly loose, then pull on the pipe to align the bolt holes in the other flange while installing its bolts, it won't hurt anything.  

If the force is too great to do this, you can remove the pipe and figure out a way to bend it to the correct dimension.  This is known as "cold straightening", because it sounds better than "bending to fit".    :)

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

You can also try the tourniquet method or ratchet strap, if moving them 'closer together' to fit.. while hanging the exhaust loosely from one of the mounting brackets. Make sure your gaskets are in place before you fit the pipes. :) Best of luck!

The fellas are right. If I've done a hundred exhausts, 86 needed some level of persuasion from a gentle nudge to a 100 ton press.

It seems once my rage subsides things fall into place. 😊

• Haha 1

Thanks guys i will try what you suggested what is weird is that i spoke with original owner that install the modified exhaust and not force has been mad to install it i do not know what the engine bolt does not fit in the stock exhaust flange anymore. I keep you posted.