The MT-07 Forum

Stability over 90 ? do you have it ?

TMTYWSH

How does your bike feel over 90 mph? I have no windscreen, new tires...it's not a stable as I would like it. One moto-review said that the gauge cluster causes a lot of wind buffeting (that and probably my body, although I am in a tuck).

I'm going back to the shop for a few things, should I ask them to check the front wheel (balancing)?

I'm trying to ad a windscreen, but no luck there yet (woodcraft clipons).

What you're experiencing is more likely a result of exceeding the stock suspensions capabilities. The suspension is at best adequate at legal speeds but quickly falls short when pushed. More damping and a better spring rate would help control it outside of it's normal commuter role. 

There's a ton of how-to fixes for suspension on this forum. 

It's a lot to expect a motorcycle without a fairing to be well suited for speeds that fast.

When I first got my bike I was NOT accustomed to such a quiet bike. Lifetime of riding beaters, hotrods and dual sports. I was out for a cruise on a nearly abandoned highway and jamming to the tunes in my helmet. Half spaced out I suddenly realized I was moving a lot faster then intended. I was doing 106mph and didn't realize it for many, many miles. I'd say these bikes are dead stable. 

90+ in the corners? Yeah, you'll outrun the suspension there, like Moss said.

Could be front tire tread pattern, and I realize that sounds like a longshot. I used to slap Conti Motions on everything because they are cheap, spoon on in minutes and super grippy. With those tires on, if you took your hands off the bars, the front end would shake. Dunno why, but they just don't jive with this bike for some reason. Never had that issue on other bikes in the past, and haven't had that issue on other bikes since. That front tire just don't work on this bike. 

Oh, and loose fitting riding jackets can whip you around at speed more than you might think. A couple loose, floppy sleeves can have you putting slight inputs in to the bars that you don't realize. Seen it happen more than once. 

I'm in VA and make a yearly trip to Barber in Alabama. Loaded up with luggage and camping equipment the FZ handles the trip fine. 80-90mph is our normal cruising speed on highway trips. Made that trip more than a couple times on stock forks. I'm 220lbs with high bars and a gauge cluster mounted higher than stock. 

Dennis.Halmstad

On the trip home after buying my xsr700 it was very unstable at highway speeds. Quick fix I found out while riding was to move as far back I could on the seat. This took some weight of the front, raising the fork and giving it a lesser aggressive angle.

After some hooligan rides around the city I found out that the oem tires didn't give me confidence so I decided to change them to a pair of Michelin Power 5's before making suspension upgrades.

To my surprise after the new rubbers were on the bike turns quicker and with more confidence and it's also better in high speeds. Now I can ride in the speed you are mentioning without having to compensate my body position to keep the wobbles away.

But, it's a light bike with no fairings and a short wheelbase. Depending on crosswinds you might not always be able to cruise in high speeds...

I feel like unless its a particularly windy day to begin with, my '18 with stock suspension and Diablo Rosso III's feels pretty stable until you're above 115 or so. Definitely felt a bit unstable when I've had it over 120, but that's a rarity so I've never been bothered by it lol. I usually run around 110-111 in the 1/4 at my elevation and the bike feels planted. 

I'm curious, how many people here have had the pleasure of surviving a serious tank slapper that started at 80-mph? It really isn't a lot of fun, and then there is that issue of what to do with your underwear 💩

Just saying....

No problem for me, but I remember that feeling of “ I’m falling “ when turning after switching from oem to the pirelli

Triple Jim
8 hours ago, FZ not MT said:

I'm curious, how many people here have had the pleasure of surviving a serious tank slapper that started at 80-mph? It really isn't a lot of fun, and then there is that issue of what to do with your underwear 💩

Just saying....

Did you have this happen with an FZ-07 or MT-07?

1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

Did you have this happen with an FZ-07 or MT-07?

Neither - it was with a 1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim which was one of Yamaha's awesome air-cooled, in-line 4's.

I never had that happen before or after the one incident. I lucked out as I didn't do any of the things that would have caused an ugly wreck once it started. I say lucked out as I never read or heard anything about tank slappers at that point as I was pretty young then, and didn't know what to do. Obviously I never forgot about it as it really scared the crap out of me. The "slapping" was pretty freaking violent to say the least, and I really don't know how I didn't wreck!

The reason I brought it up is that I don't think the FZ/MT is all that safe with the crappy suspension and the stock mediocre tires at high speeds.

Triple Jim
10 minutes ago, FZ not MT said:

The reason I brought it up is that I don't think the FZ/MT is all that safe with the crappy suspension and the stock mediocre tires at high speeds.

In my experience, the biggest contributors to tank slappers are play in the steering head, play in the swing arm bushings, and play in the rear wheel bearings.  Keep those tight and the risk will be minimized.

14 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

In my experience, the biggest contributors to tank slappers are play in the steering head, play in the swing arm bushings, and play in the rear wheel bearings.  Keep those tight and the risk will be minimized.

Those items definitely don't help with the bike's stability, but they likely didn't play a part in my situation as the bike was fairly new. I wonder how much the alignment of the triple tree with respect to the forks and the front wheel play into it. I'm sure that would be somewhat of a factor too. Bottomline... tank slappers suck!

I know my 2016 FZ-07 was not stable with the stock suspension and tires at higher speeds. I've added an aftermarket shock, done some work on the forks and added Michelin PR4's which in combination make the bike a lot more stable. I'm sorta happy that to some degree I have lost the "need for speed" as I've gotten older. My current top speed in a car or on a bike is usually 79 mph. That's a far cry from my personal record of 150 mph in my old 911.

Triple Jim
10 hours ago, FZ not MT said:

Those items definitely don't help with the bike's stability, but they likely didn't play a part in my situation as the bike was fairly new.

You probably shouldn't assume a fairly new motorcycle has all its chassis bearings adjusted correctly with no play.

A wobble or tank slapper happens when something is causing positive feedback to the system.  The bike steers very slightly to the right, and because of those forces, something adds a little to the steering and makes it go more to the right.  The feedback continues until it's making a hard right.  Then something like the rider's arms or the steering hitting its limit stop, or even the shape of the front tire limits the progress to the right, which then reverses things and it steers it to the left, so the oscillation continues.  I've heard of cases in which the rider's own body is the thing causing the positive feedback, and when he relaxes the oscillation stops.

One fairly famous video says that when an oscillation starts, you should immediately put your chest on the fuel tank to stop it.

Edited by Triple Jim

• Premium Member

I rarely take my bike north into 3 figure speeds but I've found the handling no different than at lower speeds, the higher wind speeds not withstanding, but I have upgraded from the stock suspension prior to ever taking the bike into 100+ MPH speeds.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I recently moved and the regular speeds are 90+ here I have been running the national cycle v stream sport tour windshield and it has been pretty stable. Biggest issue has been buffeting at the helmet. Certainly felt some instability in the corners at 90 but largely due to the suspension and tires as noted above.  But in a straight line on good roads I haven't seen any issues with stability

Windscreen with woodcraft clipons...it looks like a few of you have done it; what windscreen and hardware did you use?

• 3 months later...

I too have this problem. I’m a heavier rider too but I feel like I’m going to take off like ET in the wind! I did order a new Ermax windscreen the touring model I’ll report back in the 6 weeks that they are saying I’ll get it. I will also try sitting further back. Anyone know the part number for the tool to adjust rear suspension. Bought the bike used and never came with the bike there is zero static sag and I think it’s completely maxed out.