The MT-07 Forum

What is this stamp on my ECU?

87and66

Hello all. Just bought my MT07 today. It’s a 2018 with a full akrapovic carbon fiber exhaust. I’m trying to figure out if it’s been tuned or not. I’ve never ridden an mt07 before this, so I have nothing to compare it to. I pulled the ecu out and found this marking. Anyone know if this is from a tuner? Anyone else have this? 

wish I knew for sure if it was tuned or not. The previous owner didn’t install the exhaust. The first owner did, so he doesn’t know. It doesn’t pop/bang nearly at all. And it has very little engine braking compared to my FZ8, so I’m thinking it has been tuned. But I’m not sure. 
06ADF4ED-7D05-44CC-90E9-D6DC490D8030.thumb.jpeg.314b7e2992f77f47a06c47c26d697513.jpeg

Factory stamp or whatever.  If you google fz07 ecu, you'll see a whole bunch of pics with those stamps.

Yeah I should have done that haha. Thanks. I have a Flashtune kit on the way. Trying to figure out if I need it or not. I’ll probably just go ahead and use it 

• Global Moderator

I put the 2 Wheel Dynoworks sticker on my ECU, but not everyone does.  If it does not pop and runs well I would suspect it may have been tuned, but it will not hurt to fine tune it with the Flashtune kit. 

13 hours ago, 87and66 said:

… wish I knew for sure if it was tuned or not…

What temperature does your cooling fan turn on? If it comes on at 195°F or thereabouts, you can deduce that your ECU has been flashed since a stock ECU is programmed to activate the fan when the engine reaches 220°F.

Two Wheel Dynoworks (2WDW), the company a lot of riders turn to for flashing, typically lowers the fan temperature when they flash an FZ/MT-07 ECU. 

Of course, while a lowered fan temperature will indicate that the ECU has been flashed, it doesn’t tell you anything about what intake/exhaust configuration the flash was tuned for. Could have been for your current exhaust system or it may have been for something else. Plus, if your fan comes on at 220°F, it doesn’t prove the ECU hasn’t been flashed. 

The only way you’re really going to know for certain is if you have it flashed yourself. I believe 2WDW is currently charging $239 for their mail-in flash service. 

Hmmm I'm not sure. I will have to let it idle and see when it kicks on. That's a good idea. 

I'm considering returning the flashtune kit and having 2WDW flash it. The bike seems to run well, but I wonder if it can run better. All I want to do is ride this bike right now, so sending my ECU off for a week sounds like torture

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, mjh937 said:

I put the 2 Wheel Dynoworks sticker on my ECU, but not everyone does.  If it does not pop and runs well I would suspect it may have been tuned, but it will not hurt to fine tune it with the Flashtune kit. 

I didn't get  stickers with my 2WDW flashes. Or are making your own labels to put on it?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, DewMan said:

I didn't get  stickers with my 2WDW flashes. Or are making your own labels to put on it?

I got two 2WDW stickers with mine, but I took it in as I live nearby, so maybe that is why…or maybe I am just special ;) .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjh937 said:

I got two 2WDW stickers with mine, but I took it in as I live nearby, so maybe that is why…or maybe I am just special ;) .

*checks my stash of stickers I'll never use*

20210624_155931.jpg

Found it!  Yeah, I guess you have to physically go there for one of those.  They have them lying scattered on the front end countertop.

Edited by SkH
  • Like 1

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, SkH said:

*checks my stash of stickers I'll never use*

Found it!  Yeah, I guess you have to physically go there for one of those.  They have them lying scattered on the front end countertop.

I guess they can afford to toss in a couple stickers if they're not paying postage.  🙂

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

12 hours ago, 87and66 said:

Hmmm I'm not sure. I will have to let it idle and see when it kicks on. That's a good idea. 

I'm considering returning the flashtune kit and having 2WDW flash it. The bike seems to run well, but I wonder if it can run better. All I want to do is ride this bike right now, so sending my ECU off for a week sounds like torture

2WDW will have a record of all ECU numbers that they've flashed.

It may be worth checking with them first. 

• Like 1

I actually went ahead and flashed it last night myself. It was too late to take it for a ride, but I will soon. Will report back with how it feels. 

Alright so I took her for a ride. I’m pretty sure it was already tuned. Engine braking feels the same (turned it off). Power feels mostly the same, except there is a bit more power in the mid range. Also lowered the fan temps. Was it worth $350? Ehhhh maybe. I have peace of mind and satisfaction knowing it has been tuned. 

Overall, I’m loving the bike. It’s definitely not as fast as my FZ8 was. But it’s more fun, has more features, and feels WAY lighter. Glad I made the decision to buy it. 

• Like 1

Civiltechyyc

Ah man, you guys got stickers? That's my only complaint about the 2WDW tune. For us up in Canada it's a pricey venture to get the shipping and tune paid for. I wish 2WDW would include a certificate or stamp on the ECU. I love the tune but it felt anti-climatic when I got it back and the box only contained my ECU.  Super minor complaint that shouldn't deter anyone from doing the 2WDW tune.

• Like 1