The MT-07 Forum

Question on Selling a motorcycle...

Randucci

I have a 2017 FZ-07 ABS that I purchased new in the Spring of 2018 (a new leftover). I have only put 518mi. on it and am looking to sell it to buy a UTV side by side so my wife can get involved. It has many upgrades, 2 Wheel Dynoworks ECU flash, Akrapovic exhaust, new Dunlop Sportmax Q3+ tires, Yamaha comfort seat and much more, so it will get up and move. My question is when selling, how do you handle a potential buyer in taking a test ride? It is no like you can ride along with them like a car or know what they do on the ride. Even if they have a motorcycle endorsement, you don't know what their experience level is. How would you handle it if they laid down the bike and brought it back saying "thanks for the test ride, but I don't want it."? Just curious what your experiences have been in the past and how you have handle test rides with buyers. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Edited by Randucci

2017 FZ-07 ABS.

I make the buyer give me the cash and we fill out a copy of a bill of sale for each of us.  Then he takes a test ride any way he likes since I have the money and the bill of sale.  If he comes back with the bike in good condition and hasn't hurt anyone, but doesn't want to buy it, we tear up the bills of sale and I hand him back his money.

• Like 3

I should've done the bill of sale thing but what I did was take the money, and used my phone and recorded a short vid where he agreed if he dropped the bike the bike was his.  I know, that isn't the best but that's what I did.

• Like 1

No test rides. I'll drive it by them, shift through the gears, wheelie it, or what ever for them but no one rides it. Period. If they are serious they're fine with it, if they are tire kickers they'll go away. But I always price to sell and seriously tell them if it's not what I portrayed or described on the phone and they feel I've yanked their chain I'll buy them lunch for their trouble and time. Word gets around and you'll have a list of folks knocking your door down come time to sell. 

Everyone is different I guess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Randucci said:

Just curious what you experiences have been in the past and how you have handle test rides with buyers.

Personally I'm in mossrider's camp, but that's not why I'm responding to this thread....

About two years ago, the doc lady at my dealership told me a story regarding what can happen to you if just sign your title and let the buyer take off with your bike. Seems there are plenty of cases where the buyer gets in a wreck with you listed as the owner of the bike because they didn't get the title changed yet. Imagine if they hit a car going 80mph where somebody gets killed in that car. I believe that ultimately you wouldn't get charged, but who's going to pay the lawyer's fees, not to mention the frustration you would go through. The last time I sold a bike, I let the buyer know that he and I had to go together to the DMV where we got the title changed. Was it a bit of a headache - yes, but it was worth it for piece of mind. Obviously if is not a local sale, that changes things quite a bit.

Anybody have any thoughts on this, as well as the OP?

I favour part exchanging rather than selling. It costs a few hundred but I get peace of mind.  There are too many dodgy 'buyers' around over here. 

Just do it! 

I bought my 2020 MT07 (with 1200 miles on it) without a test ride.  *Seller would not let me ride it.  I understood.  I had already rode an XSR700 on a Yamaha demo day, so I knew what the handling and engine felt like.  With the low miles and obvious cleanliness of the bike on visual inspection I did not worry about it.

With your extremely low miles it should be the same scenario

Edited by Nealsmo
typo

On 6/15/2021 at 7:30 PM, FZ not MT said:

Obviously if is not a local sale, that changes things quite a bit.

Anybody have any thoughts on this, as well as the OP?

In Arizona you can go online and record the change of ownership immediately.  I'll bet that's true in a lot of states.

• Like 2

firstyammerha

I've put my Street Triple on Cycle Trader a couple of times recently and am dismayed by the number of 'gamers' lurking on this site. The most common request is for more pictures especially of the instrument panel. At ad placement, I put three pictures up showing the bike from a couple of angles and one of the speedo showing the mileage. However, after I place another picture ,they disappear. Same situation with car parts that I've tried to sell on Craigslist. I reply to their inquiries now by saying that I'll look and ask them to keep an eye on the ad for new photos(which I don't intend to post). If by some chance I did get a serious inquiry, I'd tell them no ride without a  sizable deposit, no trick riding or exceeding my speed/rpm limit and then just in front of the house which has a half mile straight section with a school bus turnaround at each end.  Probably would hold the keys to their vehicle and get photos of the buyer and his ride too. If there is a desire to buy the bike, we'd go to my bank for their assistance closing the deal.