The MT-07 Forum

125,000 07s sold….

stickshift

I was speaking to a Yamaha rep today about the new 21 model MT07. 

We got chatting about how cool this bike is and he mentioned that, prior to introduction of the 21 model, Yamaha has sold 125,000 07s worldwide, making it an extremely very popular model.

That compares to around 60,000 R6s, since 1999…

We all know why this bike is great, but apparently so does the rest of the world!

• Like 1

Yamaha got right everything that mattered for sales.  They started with a clean sheet approach because their bike range was getting tired and they were on the brink of collapsing after the economic troubles.  You only have to test ride one and for sheer fun you want it, imo.  The added benefit is ultra reliability.  Some bike.  Just my two pen'orth. PS I have just been out on mine...

• Like 4

Just do it! 

I understand the sales.  The 700 is like the RD350/400 of this era.  But with a whole lot more selection with 4-5 different choices of models depending on where you are.   MT-07, R7, T700, XSR700, and Tracer 700.  A hard group to beat.  Kind of like Yamaha took a page from BMW and Harley Davidson in building a variety of models from a single general platform.

Scale must have been one of their chief criteria. Prices were so competitive on launch, though they crept up afterwards. Still great value. 

• Like 1

Just do it! 

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I never thought about how many have been produced and I thought the figure would be higher for worldwide but it’s good to know it’s a popular bike everywhere.

It's really popular in europe too, especially for new riders since they need to cut the power down to 35kw/48hp and even with that, the MT is still able to flow with traffic. 

I have to say that there is no comparison between the FZ-07 I have now and the FZ6 I had before. The 7 is always there, just a quick twist on the throttle and you're gone, the FZ6 needed revs (7500 and up) to wake up. It's amazing how a 2 cylinder engine with 75hp can be so much more fun than a 4 with 100hp.

I believe my FZ has ruined me. I don't think I can be happy with a street bike ever again unless it's a 270 twin. 

Kinda want to see Yamaha do up a MT model from a Super Tenere.