The MT-07 Forum

LED daytime running lights / front signals

dewski

After fiddling quite a bit with a kit I bought that included 2 front LED daytime running lights, 2 rear turn signals and a fender eliminator with license LED....I was able to get them ALL working like I wanted. I'm sure it's somewhat ghetto the way I was able to get them all to work like i wanted, but I am really happy with the results and how they look.

The fronts have 4 white leds and 9 ambers.  They have 3 wires, the same as the stock globes. At first I hooked up the 3 wires the same as stock, but was not happy since only the whites worked as DRL.  Through some tinkering, I was able to get them all to light up as drl and all to flash when the signal was on while the opposite side stayed lit. It took combining 2 of the wires from the lights and then hooking those up to only 2 of the wires coming from the bike (I just taped off the unused one from the stock harness on the bike)  I wish I would have taken pictures of those wire combos before I taped and tucked them all back in so I could show what color combo I used. It is pretty easy through some trial and error to figure out though. Perhaps in the future I will pull them back out so I can see the color combo.  Once I had the fronts on and working like I wanted, I went to work on the rears.  The fronts worked perfect with the stock rear globes but when I put on the LED rears, the fronts went very dim, almost out.  Guessing there was not enough resistance from the rear LEDs.  I am sure this could be fixed by wiring in some resistors of some sort but I went for a cheap/ghetto solution. I spliced in some really small incandescent lights I bought from radio shack to the rear signal lines, tested the rear LEDs with the fronts and they were back to working great. So the small lights acting as resistors are tucked totally out of site under the back plastics.  The fender eliminator kit went on easily as did the supplied license plate LED.  I am super happy with how it all turned out...after wracking my brain for a few days on how to make them all work like I wanted.  The kit was purchased from a really nice guy named Chris at Customizedbikeparts.com    Let him know I sent you if you decide to buy from him.
I posted up a short video on the "fz-07 motorcycle riders" group on facebook ---->  https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152646812968143

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

So the small lights acting as resistors are tucked totally out of site under the back plastics.
Be careful to the lights that are under the plastics: if they are working as DRL, they are ON all the time, and the temps can go high for the bulbs. The plastics are not so happy, usually!

Anyway, nice work!!

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

The lights acting as the resistors are in the rear and they are tiny...only go on when the rear blinkers are on so I'm not worried about it at all :)

Anyone else have LED running lights on their bike? Would love to see some pictures to compare. I am loving mine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FZ-07-FZ-07-MT-07-MT-07-Yamaha-Fender-eliminator-Tail-Tidy-2014-2015-BLACK-4T-S-/331315363435?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4d23ef3e6b       This is the basic kit...I emailed Chris and asked him to include the front daytime running lights and he did no problem. He is also now making his tail kit in different colors (blue, red, carbon fiber) just search his ebay store.  Great guy and very easy to work with.   I posted the video on youtube finally

[video src=http://youtu.be/YatejGGsStI]

I made the post about 5 year ago, looks like there are more options now.  Still running stock signals on my 07.  Not sure what colors the wires are for the FZ-07, easy enough to figure out.  Magic Blinkers are now $24, I assume you get two, but haven't verified this, you'd need one for each blinker. http://www.tobefast.com/Custom-LED-Magic-Blinker-Motorcycle-Running-Light-Relay-Module.html

I wanted to keep the running lights up front but LED turn signals seem to only come in 2 wire setups. I searched the internet and found a circuit useing a relay from sportbikes.net. I tried it and it works, here's the wiring diagram I made, the one on sportbikes.net was a little sloppy. The signals stay on, when you turn the turn signal on, they flash.

This is essentially the same thing as Magic Blinkers I guess, didn't see them till after i bought the relays, $32 $24 vs less than $10 for the relays.

All you need is 2 SPDT relays, I got a micro relay at Radio Shack, part [HASH]275-240. The relay is no bigger than your thumb. It's only rated for 5 volts, but at one amp, I tried it and it works. They have one rated for 12 volts, but not at the Radio Shack I was at, saw them online (search Radio Shack for "SPDT" and you'll see the 12V one as well). I soldered directly to the pins. If you aren't that good at soldering, it would probably be easier to solder if you mount it to a circuit board.

Wiring_Diagram.jpg

Archived