The MT-07 Forum

Do you wear an MX style helmet ?

TMTYWSH

• Global Moderator

I wear an Arai Signet-X, I do not have a photo of me riding with it though. 

0C3C7074-ACA3-42F7-B09E-86B9B9268C7D.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks like no one wears an MX (motorcross) style helmet.

Of course you can't wear that on the track, but for street riding.

M. Hausknecht

Why wear less protection, especially on the street where all kinds of weird stuff can happen? 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Another vote for the Shoei RF-1200.

If was in the market for a new helmet I'd get the RF-1400. I like it's incremental improvements over the RF-1200.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I wear whatever I feel like on a given day when riding my XSR.   I wear a Bell MX-9 Adventure MIPS or a Bell Star DLX MIPS.   Gotta say air flow on the MX-9 is great on a hot day.  Wearing glasses enables riding shield up in town or on back roads at speeds under around 40 mph.

Personally I really like the visor on the dual sport helmet.  Having ridden dual sports for about 33 years and having one as my exclusive bike for about 25 years of that, I wore an MX helmet with goggles a lot, going street helmet when weather was cold.   Dual sport riding and getting caught in the rain let me know I wanted the dual sport helmet, rain drops hitting one's face stings like BBs.  Needed the face shield.  So I wear whatever I feel like wearing.    

The MX-9 meets the ECE 22.05 standards, and very likely will meet the new 22.06 standards in spite of being a polycarbonate helmet, as does the Star and I will accept that over the Snell rating no problem.  I wouldn't be surprised if the MX-9 would meet Snell standards if it was submitted.  I kind of doubt Bell or any other name company makes their lower priced helmets less safe, with the exception of the MIPS design.    Obviously in racing and track day stuff the MX would not be my choice, but for protection I'm not too worried for day to day use.    

Edited by klx678
  • Like 1

MX helmet's are rated the same as full face, but they do get noisy above 50mph; so I would see why on a naked bike you want the full face.

I have a NEXX and HJC full face...was just thinking about getting more airflow this summer; but atm I don't like wearing ear plugs...

At this point I'd not do an MX helmet on the road.  I definitely recommend the dual sport helmet for lower speed riding, like around town for sure.  If I were to do a couple days trip on the street bike I'd definitely be wearing the street helmet, same as if I went on a dual sport weekend I'd go with the dual sport or MX/goggles.  It's what makes sense.  Plus for the price of a helmet like the MX-9 it isn't all that hard to have one on the shelf.

But on a given day where it's say 80°F I'd very likely run the dual sport helmet for the air flow, unless it's a lot of higher speed constant riding.  Running the winding back roads where max corner speeds will be 60 or less, either helmet will do fine.  For us it isn't pinning it on the straights, but more the fun of the corners and in east Ohio there are some phenomenal back roads.  Like Ohio's Tail of the Dragon.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 2

I have a Shoei Qwest and a Bell MX-9 ADV helmet.  I don't like using the Bell on the highway, that visor is great for blocking the sun but it's a sail at freeway speeds.  I'm already fighting the wind enough on a naked bike and don't need to put that much more pressure on my neck.  It is also annoying when I turn my head for shoulder check.  The wind pulls it too much from the side.

Some of the problem with lift comes from rider posture.  Not right or wrong posture, but just how a rider is.   I have always ridden with my head tilted downward, can't remember any other way.  Because of that I don't have any problem with lift.   In fact when I look back I tend to tilt my head down a bit more.  Many riders ride with their head much more upright.   So the comfort factor depends on rider posture, how one carries their head. 

Again, not right or wrong posture, just how one carries their head.   I have little issue running up around 70-80 mph - the speeds we may reach on the back roads when riding with the dual sport 650, kinda playing super moto.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator

I see quite a few adventure bikes and MX gear (or what looks mx but really is the best street tech stuff looking retro).

You can ride 25 mins north then you're in a state park where off road trails are maintained by Houston trail riders association.

And a lot of young, maybe to young for license, going up and down paved roads then disappear into the wooded trails.

I keep a Shoei J-Cruise II for relaxed fun exploring caveman like stone age county roads

My eyes are particularly sensitive to light. Gotta have an internal sunvisor or a proper beak. Haven't found an adv helmet yet that has a usable beak that actually gets in to your sight line vs just sitting up there trying to look like a dirt bike lid. 

Main street lid is an AGV K5S. Very quiet and stable for long highway trips. Can get stuffy in town ( as quiet helmets do), but otherwise has good venting. 

Dual sport lid is an LS2 Pioneer V2. Bit noisy, but perfect for slower speed back road fun. Tons of airflow on hot days and massive field of view. Beak keeps the sun out of my eyes when riding in the woody back roads and constantly going from shade-sun-shade-sun. Keeps me from having to flip it's internal sunvisors up and down a bunch.   Had the original version and crashed it up good in an accident with a deer. I always felt a bit risky wearing dirt bike style lids on the road due to the seemingly long chinbar. Always figured if it came down to it that the long chinbar could leverage your neck around and cause serious damage. After sliding about 20' down a gravel road on my face ( only my face, feet were in the air) I no longer have that fear. That helmet protected me very well! It's retired and hanging from the shop rafters now. EPS collapsed around the forehead and the the EPS in the chinbar cracked when the chinbar flexed. Walked away without a scratch or a bruise.

Fly Carbon F2 is my dirt lid, but it gets used when I got a bunch of errands to run in town. Rock a set of goggles and leave em on all day. Keeps my eyeglasses from fogging on me ( your breath is going on outside the goggles) and I don't have to fiddle with opening and closing a visor a hundred times. Only drawback is rain hurts like a mofo at highway speeds when it sneaks around your goggles. 

I'm all for MX lids, but they'll blow your ears out on the highway if you don't wear hearing protection.

• 2 weeks later...

I also wear an Arai Signet-X.  Most comfortable helmet that I've ever owned.  Great for those of us having an "oval" head.

Helmet.jpg.51b72e7723cc13f0a1f902b8e49e97c7.jpg