The MT-07 Forum

2015 FZ07 twitchy throttle

TMTYWSH

Yes, I've search and unfortunately mt09 videos come up and also videos from people who have the opposite problem. So, it's jerky; my question is - what have you guys done to smooth it out?

The bike has a power commander, I'm not sure how it's tuned.

I don't have a "race" bike; but based what I've read the throttle is more like a race bikes (much less degree of movement to get power); so you are never fully flexing your wrist to make this bike go.

I can live with it or get use to it, but I think it would be more fun if it was a little more smooth and linear...I have to take the bike in to get the chain inspected in 200 miles; should I have the bike flashed or change the sprockets ?

A lot of forum members have said the throttle twitchiness was reduced or completely went away after they had their ECUs flashed. Others have said it was reduced or went away when they installed a Power Commander V. A couple have said it was resolved by installing a Booster Plug. Some maintain that the throttle is not and never has been twitchy on the FZ/MT-07 and there’s no need to fix what isn’t broken. And the rest say twitchiness is inherent to all fuel-injected motorcycles so riders might as well stop whining and start learning better throttle technique. 

My stock 2017 FZ-07 was definitely twitchy. I had the ECU flashed by 2WDW in hopes of eliminating the issue but the bike felt just as twitchy afterwards. So I bought an R6 throttle grip and grinded down the cam to make the bike less twitchy at small throttle openings and more responsive at higher RPMs. 

Which throttle tube does your bike have? My guess is that if the previous owner was tech-savvy enough to install a Power Commander, he/she probably also put on an R6 throttle tube. If so, the R6 tube, with its larger than stock cam diameter, will exacerbate any throttle twitchiness. 

Pretty easy to tell which one you have: if the plastic tube under the rubber grip is black, it’s the stock tube. If it’s white, it’s the R6 tube (or some other aftermarket tube). Reinstalling a stock tube will lessen the twitchiness.

Another step in your troubleshooting process is to disconnect the Power Commander to see if the bike is as twitchy or twitchier without it, meaning get the bike as close as you can to stock and test variables from there. 

To see the discussion about my custom-grinded throttle tamer, go here:

DFCDCF08-552D-45A5-B280-DA47684AD916.thumb.jpeg.44a6c734887cb74e2e9fad0250721f7f.jpeg

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 2

The fact that some complain of twitchy throttle and some don't is odd. Hearing that some have had ECUs flashed and still have the twitchy throttle makes me wonder...is it really a twitchy on/off throttle they're feeling or something else? 

I love my FZ07, but man, this is one clunky gearbox. I mean, it shifts reliably ( after about 5k miles), but it's clunky. I can open and close the throttle smoothly, but you do feel backlash in the gearbox in certain situations. Most prominent in corners that descend then ascend. You roll off the throttle going downhill in to the corner and all the driveline slack backs up against the engine braking. You go to throttle on exciting the corner and *clunk* it all tightens up again. 

With the R7 coming out Yamaha has said they've revised the transmission with new gear profiles to reduce gearbox slop ( or however they worded it), so I'm curious to see if people start saying the throttle issue are cured when R7's start hitting the streets. 

• Like 3

From everything I've read and experienced, a lot of the throttle "twitchiness" is the rider and their preferences.    I don't have too much problem with my 700 after a few minutes, but for whatever reason I seem to have a twitchy feel for the throttle every time I pull it out of the garage.  Only lasts a short time.   I do like a quick throttle though, having run a quarter turn on my trials bike for a while and swapping to a quicker throttle on both my SR500 and my KLX250.   

I do like the idea of the progressive ramp on this throttle tube modification and may have to consider it.   The one I hear about is the throttle issues when rolling on the throttle in corners, does this throttle tube modification smooth that out a bit?   I understand the problem is mainly due to the EFI shutting off when the throttle is totally closed while rolling in gear, not sure if it is in second and up or third and up when that happens.  Can the progressive ramp throttle mod help with that?

As said, I don't have much issue and am not losing sleep over it, but if this is something that might just make life a bit easier for a shade over $20 I may have to do it.

Triple Jim
13 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I can open and close the throttle smoothly, but you do feel backlash in the gearbox in certain situations. Most prominent in corners that descend then ascend. You roll off the throttle going downhill in to the corner and all the driveline slack backs up against the engine braking. You go to throttle on exciting the corner and *clunk* it all tightens up again. 

I'm sure the dogs add some backlash, but a good amount of it comes from the chain slack.  I was amazed when I read the specification in the owner's manual.  I tightened mine up to the very tight end of the spec and it was noticeably better than when I first rode it home from the dealer, but there's still a lot of slack there.  Maybe a spring loaded roller tensioner would help, but I don't want to add complexity.

• Like 4

I think what I called "twitchy" was coming on and off the dramatic engine braking with the stock ECU.  Problem solved by 2WDW.

Triple Jim
15 minutes ago, timjh said:

I think what I called "twitchy" was coming on and off the dramatic engine braking with the stock ECU.  Problem solved by 2WDW.

When I was at Deals Gap a couple weeks ago I noticed that sudden transition when coming out of the turns, and had to learn how to deal with it.  My solution was to add the smallest amount of throttle, starting maybe just before or at the apex, and just after any trail braking.  Then when the time came to accelerate, there was no transition.

I'm sure the remap to keep the engine running when off the throttle makes it simpler.

• Like 1

Some days I have good sense and throttle in and out of corners like I should. Or on days when I'm really focused on corner speef.

Other days I'm in dirt bike mode and slam the bike through corners kinda rough. Stomp down a gear or two going in to a corner, then throttle on and fan the clutch on the way out 🤦 

The stock clutch is tough! Oil analysis keep saying no wear metals, so I'll keep having fun! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TMTYWSH said:

Here is the picture

I must have missed part of the conversation. Why are you showing us a photo of your butterfly pulley?

10 hours ago, TMTYWSH said:

1156173907_fz07throttle.thumb.jpeg.0e9000d4e4f01d9f99341f6ff5a97911.jpeg

Here is the picture

The throttle cam the other guys are talking about is the cam on the end of the throttle hand grip, not that piece on the throttle body on the engine. 

s-l300.jpg.4ea15f4d045856eef652b01dfd58844d.jpg

422438704_images(1).jpeg.641a9d136976a9ecf98ecfe4215bb977.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TMTYWSH said:

opps, thanks for the clarification

I apologize for not being clearer earlier!

Yes, when people are discussing the R6 throttle tube, they are referring to the plastic tube under the hand grip. (Note: if you order a new 2006+ R6 throttle tube, it will come with the rubber handgrip preinstalled). 

You can check which tube you have by removing the housing that covers the throttle cables or you can simply peel the rubber grip back a smidge to get a glimpse of the tube underneath.

0E981C2F-EDE5-4D24-AFCE-9E62F79EB22D.thumb.jpeg.e249165e502eda50c40acb885813aaeb.jpeg

A532F730-3F90-44DC-B5C7-CF5BAFE835A4.thumb.jpeg.3cddb864ba76dfec29871c862800ea26.jpeg

Edited by D.A.

Triple Jim

@D.A.  I just noticed that as you open the throttle off idle, now less per given twist than stock, the other (close-throttle) cable gains more slack since its ramp is not altered.  This would increase the slack in the system as you twist the grip.  The least slack would occur at idle.  Have you noticed any oddity from this?

Edited by Triple Jim

10 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

... as you open the throttle off idle, now less per given twist than stock, the other (close-throttle) cable gains more slack since its ramp is not altered. ...

You’re an observant guy, @Triple Jim

I wondered about this same issue when I was modifying my R6 tube. It seemed like the cam might need to be grinded-down symmetrically on two edges so the decelerator cable unrolls from the cam at the same rate the accelerator cable rolls onto it. It’s certainly feasible for someone to create a cam with that type of profile.

My design does result in the accumulation of a bit of slack in the decelerator cable on the butterfly pulley wheel when the throttle is fully open but the looseness does not affect the operation of the throttle. That’s because the pulley is only spring-loaded in one direction — it only pulls on the accelerator cable. You can completely remove the decelerator cable from the bike and it will have no ill-effect. Well, except for one — there will be nothing to stop the throttle grip from rotating too far when you let off the gas. 

In other words, as far as I can tell, the decelerator cable serves only one function: to be a backstop for the throttle grip when the throttle is closed. 

Excessive slack at the pulley wheel at WFO could theoretically allow the decelerator cable to become detached but that does not happen with my modded cam because the amount of slack created is not great enough for the cable to escape from the channel in the pulley in which the cable resides.

Throttle tamers made by Graves and G2 are not symmetrical either. I assume those companies made the same discovery I made about symmetry not being necessary. However, it seems like a good idea for anyone modding their throttle cam to verify they have not inadvertently created enough slack for the decelerator cable to work itself off the pulley wheel while on the road.

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 1

Triple Jim

Thanks for that, D.A.  I thought about the double cut of the pulley, but I'm not sure how well that would work out.

8 hours ago, D.A. said:

In other words, as far as I can tell, the decelerator cable serves only one function: to be a backstop for the throttle grip when the throttle is closed. 

I'm sure that the reason the second cable is there is to allow a rider to close the throttle if for some reason the throttle body mechanism gets stuck and the spring doesn't return it to idle on its own.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, D.A. said:

... My mod does result in the accumulation of a bit of slack in the decelerator cable on the butterfly pulley wheel when the throttle is fully open but the looseness does not affect the operation of the throttle...

Hey @Pursuvant: You modified/shaved down your R6 throttle cam, too, right? Does the modded cam result in a dangerous amount of slack accumulating in the decelerator cable at the grip or where it attaches to the butterfly pulley wheel, meaning is it loose enough at full throttle for the cable to detach?

Edited by D.A.

After more research it seems like the "twitchy" throttle is a another mod the previous owner did to this fz07. I'm getting used to it, maybe this bike was setup for the track (mapping and throttle) ? 

So it's not really twitchy, it's setup to go full throttle without a lot of wrist twist...maybe the R6 throttle?

• 2 months later...
nozeitgeist1800

i know this is a few months old so i dont know if this will help anyone, but if you are unhappy with the throttle tube radius and want a throttle dampener, they are available in a few options:

g2 throttle tamer -

40-4Y-130__46163.1554345530.480.480.jpg?

G2 THROTTLE TAMER TUBER 40-4Y-130

graves r6 progressive throttle tube -

W-WCY-06R6-012__79871.1576602487.480.480

Graves Motorsports R1 R6 Progressive Throttle Tube W-WCY-06R6-01

im not sure what the difference between the two is. i bought the g2 when i first bought my mt 07 but ended up going the other way and leaning into the throttle instead and switched to the r6 stock throttle tube. i might still have the g2 if someone is interested, but it's also just as likely that i tossed it out when i figured i wasnt going to use it anymore

• 1 year later...
On 8/20/2021 at 1:34 AM, nozeitgeist1800 said:

...I’m not sure what the difference between the two is. i bought the g2 when i first bought my mt 07 but ended up going the other way and leaning into the throttle instead and switched to the r6 stock throttle tube. i might still have the g2 if someone is interested, but it's also just as likely that i tossed it out when i figured i wasnt going to use it anymore

I know it’s an old post but I’m asking anyway:

Would you sell your G2 throttle tamer if, of course, you still have it? Thanks!

nozeitgeist1800
4 hours ago, Claude said:

I know it’s an old post but I’m asking anyway:

Would you sell your G2 throttle tamer if, of course, you still have it? Thanks!

ill have to double check that i still have it. i dont remember throwing it away, but my memory is such that i can hide my own easter eggs.. so not to be trusted. 

if i still have it, im happy to just send it to you, youll just need send me a shipping label. i work overnights so i wont be able to check until the morning, but ill have an answer for you tonight

sending it free comes with the condition that you pay it forward when you can, though.

Edited by nozeitgeist1800

Just now, nozeitgeist1800 said:

ill have to double check that i still have it. i dont remember throwing it away, but my memory is such that i can hide my own easter eggs.. so not to be trusted. 

if i still have it, im happy to just send it to you, youll just need send me a shipping label. i work overnights so i wont be able to check until the morning, but ill have an answer for you tonight

sending it free comes with the condition that you pay it forward when you can, though.

That would be great!!

I'm in Canada though so not sure how a shipping label works or if it would work anyway. But, of course, I will gladly pay any shipping cost. Is Paypal OK with you?

Many thanks!!

nozeitgeist1800
9 hours ago, Claude said:

That would be great!!

I'm in Canada though so not sure how a shipping label works or if it would work anyway. But, of course, I will gladly pay any shipping cost. Is Paypal OK with you?

Many thanks!!

i do still have the g2 throttle tamer i bought, still in the packaging even. but first things first, lets double check that this one is the right one for you, ive attached pics so you can double check that it's the right model, etc.

as far as shipping, i will leave up to you to figure out. im not interested in setting it up and if i take money from you id have to pay sales tax on this and im not going to do that. its not too bad, though, just set up a delivery with dhl or ups or fedex, depending on who operates in your area, ill shoot you my address so you can put it on the label, then just send me the link so i can print the label and take the package to a shipper. ill be honest, im fairly lazy, so anything more than printing the label and taking the box somewhere is a bit more effort than im willing to put in

PXL_20221012_211013085.jpg

PXL_20221012_211017091.jpg

Edited by nozeitgeist1800