The MT-07 Forum

Changing the stock exhaust

Miffy

Hi.  I'm changing the stock exhaust on my MT-07 2019 model.  It's a Yoshimuro R77 I've bought but do I need a power commander and which one.  A V one of an FC one? Thank you. 

A decade ago, piggybacking onto the bike’s ECU with an aftermarket device like a Power Commander was the go-to method for tweaking fueling after upgrading your exhaust. But nowadays it’s more commonplace to simply flash (meaning reprogram) the ECU itself using software from Flash Tune (FTECU) or a similar company. No “device” is required. Just an interface cable and a laptop computer. 

You can buy the interface cable and software to do the flashing yourself or you can do what most riders do: mail your ECU to a company like 2 Wheel Dyno Works (2WDW) and have them do the flashing. 2WDW has developed a vast library of fueling maps on their Dyno using bikes like your MT configured with a variety of different exhaust systems, including the Yosh R77. They do same-day turnaround making it a quick and easy solution. And they will re-flash your ECU for free anytime and as often as you want. You only pay for shipping.

Because flashing gives you direct access to the motorcycle’s brain (ECU), you have a level of control unattainable with traditional piggybacked, downstream devices. For instance you can fine-tune timing advance, change the temperature at which the fan kicks on, disable fuel-cut-on-deceleration to reduce engine braking, remove gear-based and speed-based restrictions, etc. It’s a very logical and comprehensive solution.

Check it out!

fz07fullyoshir77_c2f79348-5053-4b75-b80b

ECU flashing is not only more cost effective than other tuning...

1-2_1024x1024_2x_a09efb8c-afa2-4950-8f30

This Interface allows you to easily adjust the following! -Remove...

fz07fullyoshir77_1200x1200.jpg?v=1606249

This Performance Package combines the legendary...

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perfect thank you so much for the reply.  The exhaust arrives today so I will go and look into a flashing kit.  🙂

For the power commander you have to remove your fuel tank, its more labor intensive than a ECU flash. Flashing your ECU will be much easier in terms of work, this is a major point to think about when it comes to a Power Commander VS a Flash. And I believe in terms of price the Flash is more affordable, and from what I've heard the customer service is enthusiast run.

• Thanks 1

stickshift

Both the ecu flash & power commander have pros and cons.

To clarify: the Power Commander V adjusts fuel & timing, you can reduce fuel on deceleration (through altering fuel tables on closed throttle), and you can easily integrate other products such as a quick shifter. Installing takes more time than accessing just the ecu, but it’s not difficult (and you can remove & sell if you ever want to sell your bike). Changing/altering maps is very simple, can be done on any PC.

Flashing the ecu is more convenient for most, if you can live without riding your bike for a few days, but it’s not a like-for-like comparison.

Edited by stickshift
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't 'need' anything but to ride and enjoy it. It'll run safely and fine w/o. 

It'll certainly run better with either however so it's up to you. 

What do you want? What are you prepared to spend? It's a slippery, deep hole the aftermarket. I love it! So will you. 

Have fun!

• Like 1

Having just put my bike back to stock - Akra titanium (no baffle), DNA intake and a power commander with wideband active auto tuning.

In stock form the bike is 'nice', but with full mods with a properly setup tune, it's on a whole different level (I have suspension mods as well).

I went with the Power commander with the wideband setup because I was used to using that method (built and tuned car engines) and didn't like guessing. Yes, the install takes time. Going to sell mine (selling the bike). If you send in the ECU, you have to do that if you make any changes. I was going to try a Hordpower airbox, etc. Ended up with a 2021 z900 - more power 😉

• Like 1